Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM

69 posts, read 159,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
dry as in lack of rain or lack of liquor???

and why the concern about driving from Denton to Lubbock?
is there someone there you are in relationship with

Denton has two large universities and is within driving distance for daily commute to Fort Worth and Dallas--both offering lot in various areas like shopping, restaurants, cultural activities
Denton also has fairly well documented music scene if you are interested in that
denton is growing but streets are still awful--housing has gotten more expensive while many other areas are stagnant
I was interested in the distance because I was trying to decide if I could squeeze in the drive to check out UNT, but it doesn't seem like I'll have enough time to do that.

Haha, I was specifically mentioning dry as in lack of liquor, but it also seems like West Texas is a rather dry place.

As for the other poster who put in a good word for North Texas and Denton, I think I still plan on applying there, but I might have to make another trip out to visit that area. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM

69 posts, read 159,306 times
I don't know if anyone will read this, but I finally went and checked out Lubbock. This was in November, so the weather wasn't too bad, but the nights did get a bit chilly. I thought it was a nice place, and basically what I was expecting. I don't think I'll apply to Texas Tech though, for two main reasons. Nobody was lying, Lubbock is sooo flat! As we were flying over Dallas I couldn't help but think of how much nicer it looked and I realized that I really want some greenery and trees. Second, Tech's campus is huge! The SLP department is located in the health sciences building away from the main part of campus, and I think I want to be more involved with the main campus. I would go back and visit though; everyone was super friendly and I had the best fried pickles of my life!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
I don't know if anyone will read this, but I finally went and checked out Lubbock. This was in November, so the weather wasn't too bad, but the nights did get a bit chilly. I thought it was a nice place, and basically what I was expecting. I don't think I'll apply to Texas Tech though, for two main reasons. Nobody was lying, Lubbock is sooo flat! As we were flying over Dallas I couldn't help but think of how much nicer it looked and I realized that I really want some greenery and trees. Second, Tech's campus is huge! The SLP department is located in the health sciences building away from the main part of campus, and I think I want to be more involved with the main campus. I would go back and visit though; everyone was super friendly and I had the best fried pickles of my life!

Glad you enjoyed your visit! Everything really does look brown in the late fall, as the harvest is over. This year has been especially bad, as we're in the midst of the worst drought on record. Maybe you can visit again sometime in the spring or summer, when the fields are all green and the crops are in bloom. Good luck on finding the place that's right for you!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM

308 posts, read 638,205 times
My daughter's roommate at Tech came from San Jose to Lubbock. She ended up liking it so much that after she graduated she stayed there. Lubbock is a unique place. The beauty is hidden but it's there if you want to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock