Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,990,622 times

Advertisements

You have to pay to go on a hunting lease, but there certainly is quail hunting, and some ranches stock antelope. You are really better to drive the relatively do-able distance to New Mexico or Colorado for hunting. It's not one of the things I would talk up Lubbock about.

OTOH, the skiing is great! (Anyone remember the old "Ski Lubbock" poster? It went sort of like this: ----------------______________ ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,028 times
Talking Great place for four years!

First I will start off by saying never choose a college before you've visited the college or based on what someone else wants. You are the one who will be on campus everyday. You will be the one hanging up that diploma in you future office. I graduated from Tech and came here because the moment I stepped on campus it felt like it was for me. When it comes down to it your dad is not going to be the one living in your dorm room.

After saying all that, here's a little about the town. The small town transition is not hard at all. Lubbock is such a college town that everything you need is here and there are a ton of young people. Honestly, if you have friends (if you don't know anyone when you get here, you'll know a ton in no time) you will have no trouble having a good time!

Pros:
college town is a huge plus when it comes to school spirit
cost of living in Lubbock is low
West Texas sunset
it snows in the winter!
beautiful campus
the engineering program is a huge part of Texas Tech and is highly recruited

Cons:
small town far from larger cities

Most importantly you need to visit the campus. That's number one on the to do list.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,207,559 times
I don't think of a town with 200K people in it as being 'small'. Perhaps it's a small city.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,990,622 times
I agree -- Lubbock is a small city. It's really not its size that is problematic; that can be seen as an advantage, if anything. The problem is more that it's out by itself, relatively isolated; and it is essentially a pretty conservative place, which can be annoying if you don't share that outlook.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 24,745 times
I'm a current student at tech and am majoring in construction engineering. First thing you need to do is come visit before making any decisions. I personally wanted to go to A&M till I went there and hated it. Than we went to Tech and I fell in love with the campus and the town. It's a great college town and The west texans couldn't be any friendlier. My one thing I would say is branch out and expirence college life! UTA will not fulfill that it's just a commuter school for kids who can't leave home.. Like I said come out and see the beautiful campus and talk to the PE engineering dean he will help you with any questions! On the Lubbock side, the city itself is really getting rid of any ghetto parts with the Overton area looking like Dallas and the downtown revitalization project is in its early stage.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 16,906 times
yes

Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM

350 posts, read 868,464 times
Lubbock really is a horrible place.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM

2,328 posts, read 3,942,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Lubbock really is a horrible place.
I'm a little curious as to what caused you come to that conclusion...when did you visit/live there?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM

350 posts, read 868,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I'm a little curious as to what caused you come to that conclusion...when did you visit/live there?
Many times throughout my lifetime of living in Texas. Lubbock is a crappy version of Waco... which is really saying something.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,207,559 times
I rather like Lubbock, although the frequent wind and dust blowing wouldn't be too great. But I'd much rather live there than in Waco. At least it isn't very humid, and I think it's a nice town with good folks. We wouldn't have to talk about religion and/or politics..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock