Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 AM

2,310 posts, read 3,903,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I rather like Lubbock, although the frequent wind and dust blowing wouldn't be too great.
The dust has been much worse than normal this year, due to the city getting about 30% of its average annual precipitation (5.63" ytd out of 18.9"). Here's a chart comparing 2011 to past years:

NWS Lubbock, TX - Local Climate Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,215,848 times
Texas Tech is a great school and you'll be on campus with other students most of the time anyway. Don't let Lubbock's bad rep stop yourself from getting a great education. As for the City of Lubbock, you will realize what it is during your four years there. You probably won't find a desirable job there, anyway.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:52 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,903,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Texas Tech is a great school and you'll be on campus with other students most of the time anyway. Don't let Lubbock's bad rep stop yourself from getting a great education. As for the City of Lubbock, you will realize what it is during your four years there. You probably won't find a desirable job there, anyway.
Guess I'll fight an uphill battle. 280,000 people live in the area, and believe it or not, a lot of them like it...

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,086,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
The dust has been much worse than normal this year, due to the city getting about 30% of its average annual precipitation (5.63" ytd out of 18.9"). Here's a chart comparing 2011 to past years:

NWS Lubbock, TX - Local Climate Data
Oh, yes. All of Texas has been in a drought. I hope the lakes around DFW fill up some, or we're going to be a heap of trouble next summer. We can also sit in the hot darkness when the power goes out due to the grid being strained. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:39 PM

85 posts, read 349,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ1993 View Post
My dad said I can apply to one more university other than UT-Arlington, and mainly because UT-Arlington doesn't offer Petroleum Engineering (my most preferred major). My options are pretty much limited and Texas Tech is the only university that looks like it would give me a good enough scholarship for my father to afford it.

Now when I said "Texas Tech" to my dad, he said "Lubbock? No." I know if I keep pressuring for it he will let me though, because he explained that I will be the one who will dislike the place. He said "anything northwest of Fort-worth is bad". He says that there are too many storms, the place is very isolated and in the middle of nowhere, and that its not the best place to live in.

If that is my last option I'm willing to take it. But seriously, is Lubbock that bad? Will I be depressed for the next 4 years or so (assuming I DO GET the scholarship and enough Financial Aid)?
You sound more responsible than your father.

I spent three the years there in law school. I was busy going to school, not worrying about the town.

When I graduated, I left. Worry about your education, not the town where you get it.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,920,353 times
In fairness, I think being an undergraduate is quite different from attending grad school or post-grad progessional school such as law or medicine. After I finished grad school I felt as though I'd missed the entire previous five years of popular culture and normal early to mid-twenty-something recreations. I went to school, did my clinical placements and worked. That was pretty much all. But being an undergrad is different and I do think the city/community makes a difference in the experience. While I don't advocate undergrads neglecting the academic side of things (far from it, indeed), I think having time to play and explore is important. I do think Lubbock and Tech are adequate to provide for that, especially when one is there at a considerable distance from home. I did my lower division undergrad at Tech and my upper division undergrad at UT-Austin. For me Austin was much more of a discovery experience, but that was largely because my family lived in Lubbock at the time, so I was away from home whereas when I was going to Tech I wasn't. However, if you're coming to Tech/Lubbock from a different part of Texas, it should be quite good for the undergraduate life experience.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM

437 posts, read 919,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the job prospects comment. Here's a blurb from an article I read on Dec. 19th:

"Lubbock again reached the top 25 of the Milken Institute’s annual “Best Performing Cities” list, a report that ranks the nation’s 200 largest metropolitan statistical areas in terms of wage and job growth and technology business growth."

It appears that the job prospects in Lubbock are top notch, relatively speaking.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,716,003 times
As a former UT Arlington student, go to Tech! Way more fun, and a much better overall atmosphere. Lubbock is a nice city, and I personally like the Tech campus. I attended UTA because it was all I could do. I had to live at home with my parents and commute. I hated that place. There was no campus life. You just drove to campus, went to class, then left and went back home. As I just mentioned on another post about Tech, I have both a niece and a nephew from the DFW area, that just recently graduated from Tech and they both loved it.

You and your dad need to take a trip to Lubbock and actually check out the campus and surrounding areas. Your dad might be surprised.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 10,203 times
Just transferred to Tech from a UTD about a year ago. Hopefully this helps

First of all, Tech is an awesome school that is growing academically and population wise rapidly. Right now we have about 35,000 students and by 2020 we will have about 40k. Academically, were leading the way to becoming the next "tier 1" school in Texas. We tripled our research expenditures in the last five years, and we offer the best alumni base and schools of the seven emerging universities. Some people love to spread bad rumors about us, but the truth is Tech is just a great school that is finally becoming what it always had the potential to be.

Lubbock is fun, for four-five years max. If you enjoy drinking, eating and music you'll love Lubbock. I was very surprised to see how many bands stop through Lubbock, for example Taylor swift was here just a couple of months ago. Lots of great bars and restaurants as well, and were usually pretty good at football. I'll never live here, but I'm really going to look forward to visiting it once or twice a year. If we can ever get the riff-raff out this place was truly shine. Ask anyone who talks bad Lubbock if they have ever been here, and the usual response is "no, why would I ever visit a place like that!" Funny how half the school is from Dallas and yet we all love it.

My older sister went to A&M and I thought it was the coolest place ever, when I was ten. What I visited eleven years later I really didn't like it all. Visited Tech and discovered most of what I was taught to hate about it wasn't really true at all. It usually only takes me about five hours to get from Dallas to Lubbock, might as well make the drive and hang out here one weekend. Check out a football/bball game and explore the area with some buds you know that go here or make a roadtrip with some friends.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM

85 posts, read 349,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
In fairness, I think being an undergraduate is quite different from attending grad school or post-grad progessional school such as law or medicine. After I finished grad school I felt as though I'd missed the entire previous five years of popular culture and normal early to mid-twenty-something recreations. I went to school, did my clinical placements and worked. That was pretty much all. But being an undergrad is different and I do think the city/community makes a difference in the experience. While I don't advocate undergrads neglecting the academic side of things (far from it, indeed), I think having time to play and explore is important. I do think Lubbock and Tech are adequate to provide for that, especially when one is there at a considerable distance from home. I did my lower division undergrad at Tech and my upper division undergrad at UT-Austin. For me Austin was much more of a discovery experience, but that was largely because my family lived in Lubbock at the time, so I was away from home whereas when I was going to Tech I wasn't. However, if you're coming to Tech/Lubbock from a different part of Texas, it should be quite good for the undergraduate life experience.
Do you think the undergrads at tech get sober long enough to realize where they are? I did not get that impression. To the extent I noticed them they seemed on their way to a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock