U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 AM

32 posts, read 102,761 times

Advertisements

My dad said I can apply to one more university other than UT-Arlington, and mainly because UT-Arlington doesn't offer Petroleum Engineering (my most preferred major). My options are pretty much limited and Texas Tech is the only university that looks like it would give me a good enough scholarship for my father to afford it.

Now when I said "Texas Tech" to my dad, he said "Lubbock? No." I know if I keep pressuring for it he will let me though, because he explained that I will be the one who will dislike the place. He said "anything northwest of Fort-worth is bad". He says that there are too many storms, the place is very isolated and in the middle of nowhere, and that its not the best place to live in.

If that is my last option I'm willing to take it. But seriously, is Lubbock that bad? Will I be depressed for the next 4 years or so (assuming I DO GET the scholarship and enough Financial Aid)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,593,761 times
" He said "anything northwest of Fort-worth is bad"."

Seriously, you are believing a blanket condemnation like that?

My stepson graduated from Tech, and my daughter has lived there for 8 years. I visit her fairly often. She is very happy there and they have a good life. My stepson liked it as well. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping, and great health care facilities. Plenty do do unless you are just stuck on the lifestyle of a huge city. Weather is not that bad except when the dust storms blow in. All in all I'd say it's a good place to live. I like it just fine from what I've experienced and wouldn't mind living there if I needed to.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,050,405 times
I graduated from Tech back in the 90's and I can assure you that you won't be depressed in Lubbock. There are enough activities at Tech alone to keep you very busy but even when you venture out beyond the campus Lubbock is a great place to be for a college student. Lubbock is much smaller than DFW of course but there are still plenty of great restaurants, sports bars, places to shop, etc. I have no regrets about attending Tech or living in Lubbock.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,052,986 times
I'm a Lubbock native, and I'll say that Tech was never a serious option for me because I felt like I needed to branch out. As someone who is of college age, I will say that Lubbock isn't amazing for those our age, but it isn't bad either. I'd venture to say that it's much better than UT-Arlington if you're looking for a more traditional college atmosphere. If you don't have a car, you might as well write UT-Arlington off your list because Arlington is a suburb with no public transit whatsoever.

Depending on what kind of storms he's talking about, Fort Worth has way more thunderstorms in terms of both number and severity. Lubbock does have dust storms, but nothing on the scale of Dubai where you are. Lubbock is very isolated though, and the landscape is flat, treeless farmland. Both of those take acclimation if you're not from the area. The city itself is decent and well-landscaped though.

Tech is a decent engineering school, it has a very nice campus, and the area around campus is improving quite a bit in terms of student offerings. I can't really see anyone being depressed unless they went there with the expectation of being so.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,758,856 times
I wonder if the agenda of the OP's dad is that he just doesn't want his son all that far away but is unwilling to acknowledge that. I wouldn't really recommend Lubbock or Tech, yet I can see it being largely an enjoyable experience for an undergrad coming from elsewhere in the state, having the chance to be away from home and live the stereotypical college life -- which certainly is possible in Lubbock. Moreover, it was always my own experience -- having attended both Tech and UT-Austin -- that Tech had a big contingent of students from Dallas, whereas UT-Austin tended to attract students from Houston. IOW, if you're from the DFW Metroplex, you apparently won't find yourself out of place at Tech. Finally, I'll say that having lived in Fort Worth and having a partner who finished his undergrad at UT-Arlington, I don't think UTA is a very desirable school -- it's basically a commuter school with relatively little campus life and without the sort of typical student districts you find around schools like UT-Austin, UNT, or Tech.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,324,137 times
Positives of Lubbock, in my opinion, include:

It is a moderately growing small city of nearly 250,000 (almost 300k metro).
There are a lot of services for college students.
It is extremely easy to get around.
The people are generally very friendly.

Something to know:

It gets very cold in late fall/winter (well below freezing at times), and it does snow.

Negatives:

Crime is a problem in parts (mainly east of University Avenue).
Possible severe storms with hail or tornadoes can develop, mainly in the spring. (Of course, Arlington or any other place in Texas can have those, too.)

Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM

10,121 posts, read 8,784,302 times
I can't figure out why he'd have a problem with 4 years in school here. From the people I know that have graduated here, the engineering school is pretty good. You could do a lot worse than Lubbock. Its relatively safe if you stay out of the neighborhoods close to school. West and south side are the best places to live. The traffic is pretty light compared to large cities. Plenty of resturants, rents should be pretty resonable, people are friendly.

However, the weather conditions can be interesting. Today we have winds, snow and a low of 16 degrees tonight. High winds 30-40 MPH are common in the spring. Doesn't rain much, snow usually melts in a day or three. Hasn't been a tornado in the 8 years we've lived here. Probably the biggest problem is the isolation. It isn't close to anything, and your outdoor activity choices are pretty limited. But if your a serious student, these negatives should be pretty minor. You are close to the oil fields, so that should be a plus when it comes to job hunting.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,396,709 times
Your Dad is right. Listen to him.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM

680 posts, read 1,617,826 times
Why don't you go visit and see how it feels to YOU? That's what matters.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,593,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Your Dad is right. Listen to him.
Hey there's your proof right there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock