U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM

117 posts, read 238,757 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have decided to apply for Texas Tech to continue school after graduating from a local community college here in New Orleans. I was wondering if this area would be good for a Computer Science / Managment Info Sys major in his early 20's? I attended school in East Texas for a short while immediately after hurricane katrina and thought that the education system in Texas was superior to that of my state.

I was wondering if there was someone here who has been to Texas Tech and could give me a some insight into what life is like in lubbock and Texas Tech. And how would you guys compare Texas Tech to other big Texas university for "Tech" students such as myself. I don't know anybody in my area who has even been in that region of the country, and from what i've read online, it seems that lubbock is a very boring place (not that it matters, my focus is mostly academic).

Last edited by tekboi; 12-27-2011 at 11:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,654,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
Hi all,

I have decided to apply for Texas Tech to continue school after graduating from a local community college here in New Orleans. I was wondering if this area would be good for a Computer Science / Managment Info Sys major in his early 20's? I attended school in East Texas for a short while immediately after hurricane katrina and thought that the education system in Texas was superior to that of my state.

I was wondering if there was someone here who has been to Texas Tech and could give me a some insight into what life is like in lubbock and Texas Tech. And how would you guys compare Texas Tech to other big Texas university for "Tech" students such as myself. I don't know anybody in my area who has even been in that region of the country, and from what i've read online, it seems that lubbock is a very boring place (not that it matters, my focus is mostly academic).

I think Tech is a good school, and as for being bored, that really depends on the person. I'll leave it up to some Tech alum to answer most of your questions tho. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,087,639 times
If you have never been to this part of Texas before, you really owe it to yourself to visit before you commit to attending Tech. Tech is a great school, and Lubbock is a very nice town, but it's going to be more than a bit of a culture shock to someone coming from NO. It is definitely not like east Texas. You know that Texas saying, "It's like a whole other country"? Well, comparing east Texas to west Texas, it's like a whole other planet! I personally love west Texas, but it's definitely not for everyone.

As far as being boring, well that's really all up to you. You can be bored anywhere, and you can find fun anywhere too. It's been my experience that living in a small town can be as much or more fun than living in a big city. Some of the best friends we've ever had were those we made when we were right out of college and living a small town not too far from Lubbock. There was nothing to do, so we made our own fun. Someone was having a party or a barbeque or something every weekend. We've long since moved away from there and on to much larger cities, but we are still friends with those people.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,087,639 times
Forgot to mention, I have both a niece and a nephew that are recent Tech grads. They moved there from the DFW area after finishing at a community college. They both loved Tech and Lubbock and hated that they had to leave when they graduated.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,605,023 times
Deb pretty much said it all. As a Tech grad ('74, ancient times), I loved both Tech and Lubbock, but I'm a native West Texan. But even at that, it took me a bit to get used to the table flatness, dust storms and colder (and more snowy back in the day) winters.

You really do need to visit to see for yourself. It is starkly different from NO (and I've been to NO many, many times, as well as East Texas), and it really is another world! We're not kidding, LOL!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM

602 posts, read 805,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Deb pretty much said it all. As a Tech grad ('74, ancient times), I loved both Tech and Lubbock, but I'm a native West Texan. But even at that, it took me a bit to get used to the table flatness, dust storms and colder (and more snowy back in the day) winters.

You really do need to visit to see for yourself. It is starkly different from NO (and I've been to NO many, many times, as well as East Texas), and it really is another world! We're not kidding, LOL!

A University in Houston may be more to your liking if you are coming form Louisiana. Lubbock is going to be drastically different than what you are used to.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,424,708 times
I'm a Texas Tech alumnus who graduated back in the early 90's. I loved going to Tech and have no regrets about attending the university. Lubbock is also a nice city and there are plenty of things for college students to do there. However, as some of the others mentioned above, it would probably be a good idea to visit Tech and make sure it's right for you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM

437 posts, read 850,222 times
My roommate at Tech was from Shreveport and had never even visited this region before starting school. She loved it and ended up staying in Lubbock. She eventually returned to Louisiana, but only due to family obligations. Good luck to you!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:07 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,021,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
Hi all,

Considering you stayed in East Texas; you could make it in Lubbock. Just expect much more of a culture shock. Less trees, dry, colder, and flat.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,654,176 times
The thing I like about Lubbock is exactly why it is so different from points farther East in Texas. Yes, it may be flat, but the humidity is low, the Summers although hot aren't muggy, they get snow (which is a GOOD thing in moderate amounts, lol) and Tech is a good University. It's also closer to some really excellent places in New Mexico, which is one of my favorite places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock