Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times

Advertisements

It makes perfect sense to me and long overdue. Now, if they would just put in a bike lane straight to Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Revitalizing downtown Lubbock is a waste. Cities have gone beyond "downtowns." Large cities don't grow in the downtown anymore. Its inefficient. Why put all the office space in one place, when you can put an office anywhere? Everyone driving into downtown to work etc. Traffic jams galore, lack of parking etc. Modern cities have industrail parks, office parks, shoping all spread out and so people can buy a house where they want, close to work or school or whatever. Look at Plano Texas. No downtown at all, and totally unnecessary. Downtown Dallas? Last time I heard, their office space what about 1/2 empty. Downtown Houston? The place is deserted on the weekend. Downtown revitalization is money down a rat hole. Its for the "good old boys" who own real estate in downtown that isn't worth much any more.
I beg to differ. You can have several concentrated "city centers" in any city if you do them right, but you still have to have a strong central business district. Usually, your tallest buildings go there (if not most of them), but it also doesn't stop at only those. You've got to be creative and try to find something that hasn't been done. Lubbock has tons of potential, and it's going to take vision to make positive change happen. They'll also need to be innovative. It's a challenge to strive to be different while learning from the experiences of Texas' larger cities.

Plus, Lubbock's location is still an advantage.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM

751 posts, read 1,483,707 times
I sit on the fence for Lubbock downtown revitalization.... Frankly downtown is a long way away from anything, and unless I were heading to the depot district, the main library, or Harbor Frieght, there is little reason to go there. I can't imagine anything being put in there that would attract me.

Of course I said the same thing about the Overton revitalization, and have found myself driving around through there often. It turned out real nice, so maybe I would give downtown a try too.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,264,499 times
Quote:
Revitalizing downtown Lubbock is a waste. Cities have gone beyond "downtowns." Large cities don't grow in the downtown anymore. Its inefficient. Why put all the office space in one place, when you can put an office anywhere? Everyone driving into downtown to work etc. Traffic jams galore, lack of parking etc. Modern cities have industrail parks, office parks, shoping all spread out and so people can buy a house where they want, close to work or school or whatever. Look at Plano Texas. No downtown at all, and totally unnecessary. Downtown Dallas? Last time I heard, their office space what about 1/2 empty. Downtown Houston? The place is deserted on the weekend. Downtown revitalization is money down a rat hole. Its for the "good old boys" who own real estate in downtown that isn't worth much any more.
You clearly have never been to Fort Worth, Austin or San Antonio. All three have vibrant and bustling downtowns with significant, permanent residential populations and thriving businesses. Even Dallas has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence of late, with the construction of Victory Plaza and the Woodall Rogers deck park being symbols of rejuvenation. Bottom line, people follow aesthetics and if the downtown area is clean and cosmopolitan the business will follow.

Plano is a bad example. It is a suburb and suburbs (even the larger ones such as Arlington and Pasadena) generally lack a developed downtown area;they grow as a result of their proximity to their respective anchor cities rather than on their own economical merit. However, even Arlington is making efforts to build more of a "downtown" to solidify their sense of autonomy, so yes; I do think a well developed central area is still very important to any large city.

Last edited by lothartheterrible; 06-12-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,938,966 times
New article:

http://texastechtoday.com/news/?p=8636&show=gallery

Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Interesting article! In addition to the other items mentioned in the article, I was really glad to see this...McDougal said, “You are going to see additional hotels that will mirror the Overton hotel because of its proximity to the federal building and to downtown.”

Lubbock really needs more hotels in the downtown area IMO, which of course is not far from the Tech campus. There always seems to be a shortage of hotel rooms near Tech when I visit Lubbock and want to be near the campus for various activities or sporting events.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I'm happy for Lubbock. Though Times Square is quite the stretch of the imagination, I'm glad that the developers and city government at least have ambition. Given the economy, the healthy workforce in the Tech/Downtown area, the student demand, and the new freeway, I see no reason why this revitalization can't be a great success.

I've been in town off and on lately, and that part of Lubbock is just as, if not more lively as the growing southwest side, only there are more pedestrians and cyclists. This is when 2/3 of the students are gone as well. There seems to be a demand for a more lively core, and if the plans that I've seen in the drawings and maps come to fruition, Lubbock will truly have one of the best downtowns for its size in the nation.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,698 times
Forget about the downtowns of Dallas and Houston, have you checked out downtown Ft Worth lately ?
You didn't need to go, if you watched last years Super Bowl from Ft Worth you had to be impressed with their
"Sundance Square" ? There's something to model your downtown expansion over, I thought that was very impressive.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
I've actually been to all three cities, "I've never seen". Fort Worth has a nice downtown area, but it has something there, they have the stockyards, , Bass Opera hall, a fine science museum, an art museum, a nice zoo in the city. All these things Lubbock does not have. Neither the City of Lubbock, or any private individual has shown an inclination of donating money toward building anything like this. San Antonio has a river. The city built the River walk and it turned into a tourist attraction. I'm sure you all have noticed, Lubbock has no river in its downtown. My point is that there has to be something to attract tourists from out of town to the city, other than 5 football games a year. Lubbock has nothing and is so far out in fly over country, that it is unlikely we could attract many tourists to travel this far for a long vacation weekend or a week. These cities all have other attractions in the area. Both have a Six Flags and a large water park nearby. Lubbock doesn't have these either.

I hate to tell you all this, but in all the many places I've lived, I've never lived in any or near any city in the USA of this size with as little to do as there is in Lubbock. Successful downtown revitilization is very hard to achieve. EG: Milwaukee Wi has all kinds of attractions. Major league baseball near downtown, a world class zoo, a very fine art museum, beaches on the lake front and other attractions and yet their downtown, forget it. Its basically an office park that is deserted on weekends. People live in the suburbs, drive into whatever attraction they want to go to, then drive home. The automobile was the beginning of the end for downtowns.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM

437 posts, read 925,719 times
Quote:
I've actually been to all three cities, "I've never seen". Fort Worth has a nice downtown area, but it has something there, they have the stockyards, , Bass Opera hall, a fine science museum, an art museum, a nice zoo in the city. All these things Lubbock does not have. Neither the City of Lubbock, or any private individual has shown an inclination of donating money toward building anything like this. San Antonio has a river. The city built the River walk and it turned into a tourist attraction. I'm sure you all have noticed, Lubbock has no river in its downtown. My point is that there has to be something to attract tourists from out of town to the city, other than 5 football games a year. Lubbock has nothing and is so far out in fly over country, that it is unlikely we could attract many tourists to travel this far for a long vacation weekend or a week. These cities all have other attractions in the area. Both have a Six Flags and a large water park nearby. Lubbock doesn't have these either.

I hate to tell you all this, but in all the many places I've lived, I've never lived in any or near any city in the USA of this size with as little to do as there is in Lubbock. Successful downtown revitilization is very hard to achieve. EG: Milwaukee Wi has all kinds of attractions. Major league baseball near downtown, a world class zoo, a very fine art museum, beaches on the lake front and other attractions and yet their downtown, forget it. Its basically an office park that is deserted on weekends. People live in the suburbs, drive into whatever attraction they want to go to, then drive home. The automobile was the beginning of the end for downtowns.

There's absolutely nothing we can do about the location, but I see nothing wrong with cleaning/fixing up what's already there. Out of curiosity, if you were suddenly mayor of Lubbock, and were looking at the eyesore that is downtown, what would your plan of action be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock