Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 AM

32 posts, read 112,591 times

Advertisements

It's -almost- official! I'm coming over for Texas Tech! My father told me to pack up and get good winter clothes because "it gets very cold sometimes".

Now I have lived in Dubai/Riyadh and all those 110 degrees Fahrenheit+ (43 Celsius+) countries for a long time, and the coldest I've experienced was this winter in Jordan with 14 Fahrenheit (-10 Celsius) wind-chills a night or two. It snowed 4 times though (last storm dropped 10-12 inchers!), which I thought was exceptionally cool! I hope it snows in Lubbock.

Back to topic, what kind of clothes should I pack? Also, what should I get for university other than my laptop and a big bag for classes? I don't know what it's like studying university in the states.

I appreciate any kind of input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM

21 posts, read 29,046 times
condoms and lots!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonerdude View Post
condoms and lots!
I can't stop laughing! Yes, avoid the Raider Rash.

Seriously, you need to be prepared for everything. 14F will happen a few times a winter on average, and there are several days where it doesn't get above freezing. 105F happens a couple times per year also. Generally speaking, Lubbock's weather is mild yet very prone to extremes. It's jeans and jacket weather maybe 3-6 months depending on your own tolerance and shorts and t-shirt weather the rest of the time.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I can't stop laughing! Yes, avoid the Raider Rash.

Seriously, you need to be prepared for everything. 14F will happen a few times a winter on average, and there are several days where it doesn't get above freezing. 105F happens a couple times per year also. Generally speaking, Lubbock's weather is mild yet very prone to extremes. It's jeans and jacket weather maybe 3-6 months depending on your own tolerance and shorts and t-shirt weather the rest of the time.
lol I don't know if condoms are the way to avoid a rash, but I will keep that in mind. I know that just kissing can give you some STD's. It really sucks but what can you do

Kay so by the looksof it I'll just bring one big jacket and a couple normal jackets and the rest just shirts t-shirts and jeans. I love extreme weather; I like the idea of enduring freezing temperatures and I'm just used to extremely hot weather. Trust me, 105 F in Dubai is a nice walk at the beach. I used to play basketball in really humid conditions and 110 F - 115 F in the middle of the day under the sun for a few hours lol.

I checked a weather website and Lubbock has 5 - 10 F AND BELOW for *almost* everyday of November, December, January, February and even March as a record low temperature! That's crazy... I'm gonna love winter
(History | Weather Underground)

Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,310 times
Overall, winter is mild, you will likely be disappointed if you are looking for tons of snow. You will get your wish a few times each winter though.

marathonerdude is right about the condoms though.... There will be a lot of opportunities....

Pay close to Westerner92, as that user is well connected to the Lubbock scene and is right on the money.

Now for the most important part.... WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician
Overall, winter is mild, you will likely be disappointed if you are looking for tons of snow. You will get your wish a few times each winter though.

marathonerdude is right about the condoms though.... There will be a lot of opportunities....

Pay close to Westerner92, as that user is well connected to the Lubbock scene and is right on the money.

Now for the most important part.... WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!
Few times each winter sounds good to me! Lol opportunities that seem risky- considering that 'raiders' rash.

Thanks! I'll be hitting Dubai July 13th and then we'll see when I'll be coming. Orientation is Aug 5th though. My dad loves delaying these kinds of things (my kinds of things)

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM

lol at raider rash. Seems like a rumor spread by some guys from A&M.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonerdude View Post
lol at raider rash. Seems like a rumor spread by some guys from A&M.
It's just a joke, just like Bobcat Bumps or Cougar Crabs. The STD rate is pretty standard nationwide across all campuses.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
If you have a car, a warm coat will be sufficient. I grew up in Wisconsin, so I used to own several snow shovels. Can't even buy them at Lowe's. They don't stock them. I can count on my hand the numbers of times I would have liked one in 9 years out here.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It's just a joke, just like Bobcat Bumps or Cougar Crabs. The STD rate is pretty standard nationwide across all campuses.

Good to know. Is it easy to get laid in Lubbock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: