Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 11,881 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Possibly moving to Lubbock in a few months...so excited, but so many questions!
(background: moving from a very southern SC city...coming for a few days to see where we should live, etc. this month. I'm in my mid-20's and would be moving for my husbands job.)

1) My current church is very traditional and I love it!....men wear suits, at the very least coat and tie. I've belonged to the same church since I was 12, and a lot of the members (1200 on roll) are lifelong. I love it, but would be very open to looking outside of Presby...really don't T-Shirts and Blue Jeans at the main service!

2) I love an old house! I live in one of the best neighborhoods ever (IMO-obviously)...its historic, huge trees, beautiful (Converse Heights- look it up!)...am I looking at the right places in Rush and Tech Terrace?

Any other advice would be awesome----much appreciation in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,462 times
First off, if you read another Lubbock thread, I mentioned "I don't like elm trees". So consider my foot inserted into my gaping maw. Of course I don't me *YOU*, just elm trees.....

There are some traditional churches in Lubbock for sure. Don't know anything about Presbyterian, but some large old Baptist, or Church of Christ ones downtown. Plenty more large blue jean wearin' churches too. Some cowboy churches dot the landscape too.

Tech Terrace will have some nice homes of the more traditional flare, some newer ones, and plenty of college students within a few blocks. Not necessarily bad, as there are some real fine homes more west towards Indiana, between 19th and 34th, but more east towards University will increase the odds of having students nearby.

Rush has some really nice homes a bit more recent of vintage, and it is a real nice neighborhood, in a good location for city kind of stuff, hospital, or Texas Tech. If you are more of a mall person, or hitting all the new stores.... most of them are on the other end of town. No big deal if you don't mind driving a couple of extra minutes.

Grab you a decent realtor Moderator cut: see comment that can show you around, answer some questions, and point you in a way better direction than I can.

Good luck in Lubbock, and welcome to Texas!

Last edited by Debsi; 07-11-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: no realtor recommendations in forum, per TOS. Can send a DM.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,981,511 times
welcome to Texas

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks so much on the advice! Definitely plan on meeting with a realtor.

Last edited by Debsi; 07-11-2012 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: referred to realtor rec.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,793 times
There are two Presbyterian churches that I know of, First Presby and Cumberland. I'm sure they're both pretty formal, but considering most churches in the area are jeans/slacks-and-a-polo-type places, that dress might have made its way into the mainline Protestant churches. (I know it did with the Catholics.) You'll just have to visit I guess.

You're looking in exactly the right places. Focus on the northwest part of Tech Terrace as it's the nicest and least college-y part of the neighborhood. Also, depending on how large your budget is, the neighborhood south of 19th from Rush also fits your criteria.

Good luck with your move and welcome to Texas!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the advice- on all of it!

Found another neighborhood through search- Tanglewood and Rush (mentioned already)?
(I've read every.single.forum for Lubbock- although helpful, I'm asking these questions for specifics!)

Y'alls advice is appreciated so much and has already helped immensely in the planning of our "scouting" trip (where were meeting with real estate folks, etc.)

One more question to add on:
Golf Clubs, Tennis Clubs, Pool Memberships, City Clubs?

I noticed that Lubbock Country Club (offering everything ) is NE of the aforementioned neighborhoods, anything closer?

Thank y'all so much....getting more and more excited...I've grown up visiting Dallas and waited my whole life to live in Texas!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,793 times
Tanglewood, that's the one that I was talking about that I couldn't think of the name for. The people that would be in a country club in any of those neighborhoods are going to be members of Lubbock Country Club most likely. It's the most "prestigious" one if that matters, and it has the best golf course in town besides the Rawls Course at Tech (which is usually widely acclaimed). Then there are Hillcrest and Lakeridge. The best tennis coaches are at LCC and the Falls, and those two also have the nicest pools of the clubs in town. If you live in Rush, a membership to the neighborhood pool is included I believe, and you have access 24/7 during the summer. Also, a lot of people have guest passes to the Texas Tech Rec Center. It has the best leisure pool in town, two lap pools, as well as a decent belay climbing wall in addition to the standard gym fare.

Last edited by Westerner92; 07-10-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Westerner92, Thank you so much for all of your insight! I have a lot of family in Dallas- and they aren't s sure of Lubbock- but you have helped me know I will love it!

Thanks for clueing me in on so much! So informative- cannot wait to visit in a few weeks! It will be a cool change from the heat+humidity of SC

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM

I will be in Lubbock very soon and am getting so excited! While my husband will be doing work things- I will be in charge of figuring out the city! I really will only have one full day to explore, and really need to take advantage of my time. So my question is: if you had 24 hrs in Lubbock- what would you do/see? ANYTHING would be so appreciated, otherwise I'll be roaming aimlessly! (We will be there Friday night if that helps at all)

THANK YOU!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,462 times
Buddy Holly museum if it is open while you are there, I assume it is still open, but dunno. 19th and I-27.
Lubbock War Memorial (and park). 82nd just east of Quaker.
Texas Tech campus. 19th+University.
Of course the mall is on Slide and South Loop 289.

Just off the top of my head.

The city is laid out in a grid, major streets a mile or so between both east/west and north/south. Numbered streets are east/west, named north/south. Named streets are in alphabetical order starting west of University, when the alpha ends, a new set starts. If you go east of University, they are lettered to Ave A, then start tree names in alpha order, ascending east.

You really can't get too lost in Lubbock, as long as you remember where you started.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock