Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,170 times

Advertisements

I didn't know there were farmers' markets in Lubbock, but apparently there are a bunch. A book by John Robbins suggested going to:

http://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp?map=1&lat=33.570446&lon=-101.86124&scale=9&nm=&zip=79411

and a bunch of them came up in the Lubbock area. I had no idea. I mean, other than Sprouts, which I think is a national chain.

Anyone have experience with any of these:

Crazy Hoe Farms (Lubbock, TX) Crazy Hoe Farms, LLC is a subdivision of Watson Farms; a family owned and operated farm established in the early 1940s. We specialize in growing and selling produce. For more information contact: Dean Watson (806) 983-1744 David Watson (806) 759-3589 Amanda Watson (806) 759-0148 (more...)

Elle Farms (Lubbock, TX) Elle Farms is a new CSA vegetable and fruit farm in Lubbock, TX. We have a 18 week summer share starting in June, and will begin adding other season shares as our membership grows. We are committed to being a sustainable organic farm, and are in transition to become organic certified. NO GMO's or harmful pesticides are used, and specific care is used to increase our soils with high organic matter. We can do farm tours for CSA's, groups and also have educational workshops on urban gardening. (more...)

TreeGrace Farms (Lubbock, TX) West texasans and international farmers are building a sustainable community in lubbock. projects to include organic farms, international gardens, research projects in sustainable ranching,farming,aqua-ag, construction. (more...)

South Plains Food Bank GRUB Farm (Lubbock, TX) The South Plains Food Bank, Inc. in Lubbock, Texas uses a 5.5-acre, chemical-free, urban farm as a setting to teach life skills and job skills to underserved teens. Our CSA program raises funds to pay youth to work on the farm during the summer. We produce a weekly newsletter for our shareholders, host an annual Friends and Family Day in May and offer tours and volunteer opportunities. (more...)

Dave's Seeds and Plants (Lubbock, TX) We have a small farming operation in West Texas where we grow mostly organic tomato, pepper, cantaloupe, squash, cucumber, giant pumpkins and watermeons. We grow only heirloom varieties and are developing crosses using only heirloom varieties, mostly tomatoes and peppers. (more...)

Sunburst Farms Market (Lubbock, TX) Our family farm has been in existence for over 35 years providing quality produce to the Lubbock area. We use sustainable practices such as crop rotation, IPM (integrated pest management), drip irrigation, and pesticide free. We offer all of the tried and true favorites such as, tomatoes, squash,okra, black-eyed peas as well as many special items like French cantaloupe, Asian beans,yellow stuffer tomatoes,and Armenian cucumbers. (more...)

From the Garden (Lubbock, TX) We are a market garden, growing cut flowers, fruit, herbs, and vegetables. We offer a delivery service of specialty crops in season. To give you an idea of what grow, we offer fruits such as peaches, apples, figs, and jujubes; vegetables onion, parsnips, arugula, sorrel, baby salad greens, chard, patty pan squash, okra, pepper, epplant, black eye peas; herbs that include stevia, rosemary, and mint and others. On our website we post an ornamental or edible of the month. (more...)

Wolf Creek Farms (Lubbock, TX) We're a new farm using a special technique of naturally grown produce. We will deliver our products through online orders or by phone orders at a nominal fee direct to your door. Our produce stand is open in the Spring, Summer and Fall and features local products of area gardens, as well as locally crafted products and crafts. There will be more coming in March and April for the 2011 growing season! (more...)

Green Roots Farm (Wolfforth, TX) Green Roots Farm is an 85 acre farm just a short drive west of Wolfforth, TX, right outside the larger city of Lubbock, TX. We are located at 12013 CR 1000 on the Lubbock / Hockley county borderline. Visitors are always welcome. We are a small family run farm offering hand gathered pastured chicken eggs and poultry for sale directly to the consumer. We aim to provide an alternative to factory farmed food for people that care where their food comes from. (more...)

Apple Country Orchards & Farm (Lubbock, TX) Apple Country Orchards and Farm was established in 1981 featuring pick-your-own apples, and is located 4 miles East of Idalou, Tx on Hwy 62. The Orchard features over 6000 apple and peach trees producing over 29 varieties of apples and 18 varieties of peaches on 25 acres. We grow many other crops listed under our CSA heading (Community Supported Agriculture), sell our produce and fruits at several area Certified Farmer's Markets and also in our market at the Orchard. (more...)

Harrist Farm (Sahallowater, TX) We are a fourth generation family farm. Our Family Specializes in peas, corn, and tomatoes. We also have most of the traditional garden fare. We will even try special requests, if we get them at the appropriate planting time. (more...)

MS Gardens (Lubbock, TX) Raising over 65 Varieties of vegetables the way our grandparents did. Large assortment of Blackeyed Peas, Pinto Beans and Green Beans. We feature our products at the Levelland Farmers Market each week as well as our own on line site. We use organic practices as much as possible, although we are not certified. A lot of our vegetables are grown in Zeolite ammended soil to sustain moisture and nutrients. (more...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM

59 posts, read 154,870 times
Thank you for posting this! That is so awesome to hear. I thought I did some research on this a while back and found out there is a farmer's market down on Avenue Q somewhere but I can't recall.

Now my only problem is that I won't have a car when I come back to Lubbock, so how to manage the farmer's market without one...

Djuna

Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
I've never paid attention to the name, but I shop at a farmer's market at the intersection of US 87 and 82nd St. I recently read that a Natural Grocers will be opening in Lubbock. It is a chain, but apparently carries locally-grown produce. Natural Grocers to open Lubbock location, offer local organic produce | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I've never paid attention to the name, but I shop at a farmer's market at the intersection of US 87 and 82nd St. I recently read that a Natural Grocers will be opening in Lubbock. It is a chain, but apparently carries locally-grown produce. Natural Grocers to open Lubbock location, offer local organic produce | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Well there's a Sprouts out there; I wonder if that's what you mean.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post
Thank you for posting this! That is so awesome to hear. I thought I did some research on this a while back and found out there is a farmer's market down on Avenue Q somewhere but I can't recall.

Now my only problem is that I won't have a car when I come back to Lubbock, so how to manage the farmer's market without one...

Djuna
Djuna: Sorry it took so long to respond to this. But a couple of these farmers deliver for a small fee. Check the links. I think the very first one does. You could also carpool with someone once a month.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Well there's a Sprouts out there; I wonder if that's what you mean.
No, click the link to read about it. Natural Grocers hasn't even built yet, Sprouts is already in operation.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 AM

You're so right. Wolf Creek is the one that delivers to your door for a nominal fee:

Wolf Creek Farms - LocalHarvest

Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 31,218 times
There's a good farmers market on 19th & Buddy Holly that I was going to the last couple of months, however they're only open seasonly & closed right now I believe.

http://lubbockdowntownfarmersmarket.com

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Wow, Wolf Creek looks really nice. They even have goat cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: