U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM

48 posts, read 129,535 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been living on and off in Lubbock since 2004 but I've been abroad for the last 2 years. I'm coming back to Lubbock in January 2013 (around mid-January) and I plan on staying for a while.

Since I generally went apartment hunting in the summer, when apartments were plentiful, I never had a problem finding a place. I'm shooting for the 4th/Slide area (as I like the area and it's close enough to Tech to go to concerts, lectures, etc - I'm a Tech alumni). I'm a little limited because I won't have a car (though I'll probably be using a bike).

I want to order my flight tickets and book a hotel now (since prices are pretty good right now, so early in advance) but I'm concerned that I might have a problem finding an apartment around the area I'm targeting since I'm coming off-season. I know there are a lot of complexes in that area, so I'm guessing I won't have an issue, but I was wondering if anyone who lives in Lubbock full time or knows the town very well (better than I do, anyway) might give me some insights. I don't want to shell out the money for a ticket and hotel and then come and see there is nothing available.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of flexibility with my move. I work from home and the company I work for is in Asia. They have vacation time during January and February, which is why I'm planning my move for January, when I won't be working. So I could probably hold off until February but only if I really had to (that is, if there is absolute certainty that I won't find anything in January).

I do plan on calling some of the complexes in the area that I planned on looking at and seeing if they could give me some idea of available apartments for January, but I know that they don't always know.

Any help?

Thanks!
Djuna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM

915 posts, read 1,969,089 times
There is a free ap you can get, padmapper, which you might find useful. Housing is pretty good here; 2br house with w/d hookups, wood floors and back yard for $800, for example. Bus service decent and year round biking if you're hardy.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM

48 posts, read 129,535 times
Thanks for the response, mvitar. I'm a week away from coming back to Lubbock (very excited about that). I have 2 areas that I'm looking at for apartments - 4th and Slide and an area around Slide and 66th/71st St and Quaker Ave (not far from the mall). I need a place that is very walkable since I won't have a car to do errands. I've called the apartment complexes around 4th and Slide and they have places available, so that's not a problem. I'm contacting the ones near Quaker Ave today and hopefully they will tell me the same thing.

Thank you for the app suggestion. I've downloaded it and will check that out!

Tam

Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM

728 posts, read 1,284,214 times
If you decide to do the 66th and Slide locale, be warned... Don't pedestrian cross the Loop to the mall, since you are without wheels. It is not only against the law, it is incredibly dangerous. My daughter and SIL live in that neighborhood and really like it. I don't know about Citibus service there, but am fairly certain it is available on 4th and Slide, at least to Tech. A little further out, just past the loop, there are some apartments out there too, and again I think there is bus service there too.

My wife has a cousin living in the 71st and Quaker area, and it works real well for him too, but he has a car. Decently nice area to be in though.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: