Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

I posted something like this in the Music forum but think it may be more of interest to people with an interest in the Lubbock culture. I once lived in Lubbock and I still live in the area so I would like to start a list of musicians who have ties to Lubbock or any of the surrounding small towns (say a 90 mile radius). Here's my list. If you wish to see the videos I had originally posted for each of these folks, please see the Music forum (Local Bands). Please limit responses to musicians. I know that the area has also produced other renown folks.

I am curious so please add or subtract from this initial list. Please limit names to musicians who have professional recordings and feel free to include a video.

1. Buddy Holly and the Crickets
2. Mac Davis
3. Delbert McClinton
4. Joe Ely
5. Lloyd Maines
6. Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks
7. Butch Hancock
8. Terry Allen
9. Jimmie Dale Gilmore
10. Tommy Hancock
11. Todd Mankin
12. Curtis Edmund
13. Sherry Holly
14. Tinker Carlen
15. The Jeremiah Houston Band
16. Los Premiers (“Pioneers of Chicano Music")

And musicians from the surrounding area:

17. Waylon Jennings (Littlefield, Texas)
18. Jimmy Dean (Plainview, Texas)
19. Floyd Tillman (Post, Texas)
20. Tanya Tucker (Seminole, Texas)
21. Billy Walker (Ralls, Texas)
22. Don Walser (Brownfield, Texas)
23. Don Williams (Floydada, Texas)
24. Doug Smith (Petersburg, Texas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
John Denver and Pat Green went to Tech, while Meatloaf went to LCU.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
Trent Willmon-Afton
Brandon Kinney-Lamesa
Josh Abbott-Idalou
William Clark Green- Texas Tech
Cory Morrow-Texas Tech
Wade Bowen- Texas Tech
Richie McDonald- Lubbock
Darron Norwood- Tahoka
Micheal Nance (The Bachelorette)- Tahoka
Lee Ann Womack- South Plains College
Gary P. Nunn-Brownfield

Last edited by rr2005; 12-15-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
John Denver and Pat Green went to Tech, while Meatloaf went to LCU.

I wasn't aware that John Denver attended Tech. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Trent Willmon-Afton
Brandon Kinney-Lamesa
Josh Abbott-Idalou
William Clark Green- Texas Tech
Cory Morrow-Texas Tech
Wade Bowen- Texas Tech
Richie McDonald- Lubbock
Darron Norwood- Tahoka
Micheal Nance (The Bachelorette)- Tahoka
Lee Ann Womack- South Plains College
Gary P. Nunn-Brownfield
Great! Exactly what I am looking for.

I didn't know Lee Ann Womack went to South Plains College. I'm assuming that was the Levelland campus?

Many years ago I attended the dedication of the sound stage at Levelland. Tom T. Hall was there.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Boy, that's an extensive list!

I knew about many of them, but not Tanya Tucker and Don Williams!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I knew about many of them, but not Tanya Tucker and Don Williams!
Being somewhat of a fan of Don Williams for many years, I knew about his hometown but, until I started digging into my list, I too didn't know about Tanya Tucker.

I started this list because I was truly curious and the fact this year I kept encountering aspects of Lubbock's tremendous music history, e.g., I had a cousin of Don Walser call me on a sales matter and by chance I happened to met and eat Veterans Day lunch with a lead singer from Los Premiers, a 1960s chicano band with a plaque on the Buddy Holly memorial wall. Add to this the fact that I recently learned that an older guitar player I have known for a couple of years has sat in recording sessions with Tinker Carlen and others. Interesting stuff to be sure.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Being somewhat of a fan of Don Williams for many years, I knew about his hometown but, until I started digging into my list, I too didn't know about Tanya Tucker.

I started this list because I was truly curious and the fact this year I kept encountering aspects of Lubbock's tremendous music history, e.g., I had a cousin of Don Walser call me on a sales matter and by chance I happened to met and eat Veterans Day lunch with a lead singer from Los Premiers, a 1960s chicano band with a plaque on the Buddy Holly memorial wall. Add to this the fact that I recently learned that an older guitar player I have known for a couple of years has sat in recording sessions with Tinker Carlen and others. Interesting stuff to be sure.
I've been a big fan of DW ever since he came on the scene.

Amazing how some of this hits very close to home, isnt it?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Maybe it's just a case of what I used to call the VW bug syndrome in the 1970s. You never realize how many VW bugs there are around until you own one. I recently pulled my old guitars out of the closet after several years and suddenly musicians are coming out of the woodwork!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Maybe it's just a case of what I used to call the VW bug syndrome in the 1970s. You never realize how many VW bugs there are around until you own one. I recently pulled my old guitars out of the closet after several years and suddenly musicians are coming out of the woodwork!
Enjoy the jam sessions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock