Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM

587 posts, read 960,808 times

Advertisements

Lubbock has made it to the final four in The Weather Channels Worst Weather City tournament.

I believe it. West Texas weather isn't for wimps.

The Final Four Worst Weather Cities - weather.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Lubbock has made it to the final four in The Weather Channels Worst Weather City tournament.

Really? Lubbock weather isn't bad at all, other than wind and a handful of sandstorms every year. Lots of sunshine, low humidity and not quite as hot as the rest of Texas in the summer.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Really? Lubbock weather isn't bad at all, other than wind and a handful of sandstorms every year. Lots of sunshine, low humidity and not quite as hot as the rest of Texas in the summer.
The drought is really taking a toll in my opinion. When visiting family, I've noticed that there's constantly dust in the air, even in the summer. It never used to be like that, usually just for a few days in spring. Other than the dust, Lubbock doesn't have bad weather, really. It's just highly variable, which is better than stifling heat/humidity and hurricanes like much of the South gets and bitter cold and snowstorms like much of the North and Midwest.

That poll is all in good fun though. In general, North America has crappy weather.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The drought is really taking a toll in my opinion. When visiting family, I've noticed that there's constantly dust in the air, even in the summer. It never used to be like that, usually just for a few days in spring. Other than the dust, Lubbock doesn't have bad weather, really. It's just highly variable, which is better than stifling heat/humidity and hurricanes like much of the South gets and bitter cold and snowstorms like much of the North and Midwest.

That poll is all in good fun though. In general, North America has crappy weather.

This drought is terrible. I know Lubbock is not the only part of Texas that is suffering right now, and I don't see any relief in sight

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Today must have been awful, with a high of 73 & clear blue skies.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
It actually beat out Fairbanks to win the final, which I think is because Lubbockites actually wanted to win and voted themselves haha. Aside from the dust, Lubbock just has highly variable weather, nothing really extreme that would cause people to think it has bad weather.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It actually beat out Fairbanks to win the final, which I think is because Lubbockites actually wanted to win and voted themselves haha. Aside from the dust, Lubbock just has highly variable weather, nothing really extreme that would cause people to think it has bad weather.

Ok, I noticed my FB friends who live in Lubbock are all urging everyone to go vote for Lubbock as the worst, as are some of the local stations. Why would you WANT the world to think your weather is awful....lol?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Sour grapes? Sounds like the Weather Channel is disappointed that they are unable to predict Lubbock's weather past 15 minutes.

Like the people who live and work on the South Plains, the weather is not sufficiently mediocre to be predictable.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I grew up in Wisconsin. I've never seen anything in my 20 years of living in the south that is anywhere's close to winter weather in places like Minn. and Wisconsin. Yes the drought has has been bad and the heat does get to you, yet we still get some snow. Its probably some of the worst weather in the southern half of the country. But it still is nothing compared to far northern weather. You don't have to shovel it, it doesn't turn into a sheet of ice. Your car will start even if its hot. The problem in the north is that when it does get to summer. It can be still pretty cool, it can be oppressively hot and humid at times, and when it does get warm, the bugs come out like you can't believe. Flies and mosquitoes esp. My wife would never agree to move north. If you're sensitive to very cold weather, it is very hard for some to ever feel warm and comfortable.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:19 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post

Those guys have to remember that, for a good chunk of the year, Lubbock's temperature extremes usually swing about 35 to 40 degrees. It's especially common in months where weather is warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: