U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM

160 posts, read 425,727 times

Advertisements

I am currently planning on relocating from high unemployment MI (am employed by underemployed) once I complete my associates in accounting in 2014. I am thinking of a few areas of the nation. I am considering the plains states of Nebraska and Iowa (Des Moines, Omaha, or Lincoln), Salt Lake City, Manchester NH, and finally West Texas, all due to low unemployment rates.

Is the economy good in West Texas?

How far will an associates get you (I intend to get a bachelor's degree online, due to finances going to college on campus and taking off time from working is out of the question, I have to make due with what I have, I can afford tuition but not housing or the opportunity cost) in an accounting field? Most places it is good enough for AP/AR or bookkeeping jobs.

Which is the better city for financial type jobs? I'd also be willing to work in sales or anything else really.

I see unemployment is around 4.5 in both cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM

13,588 posts, read 18,191,187 times
I can't speak for the economy of Amarillo but Lubbock is benefiting from the new oil shale finds south of the City. Texas itself is booming but, if C-D posts are any indication, most people coming to the State are going to eastern and central Texas. I believe Amarillo is doing about as well as Lubbock economically but I should let someone who lives up there speak for that area.

Housing is very reasonable in Lubbock, as I expect it is in Amarillo.

I also can't speak for how far an associate degree will get you. My education was obtained in this area but my last graduation date may have been before you were born. Also, for the most part, I did not use my education this area of the country. I retired here because my wife is from the Texas South High Plains and I've always liked the area.

As far as going straight into accounting, may I suggest how I did it? My education was in wildlife and biologist but I stayed with a certain agricultural agency until they needed a wildlife person. I'm sure the oil companies need accountants but right now they probably need roughnecks more. Unfortunately I cannot provide you with average salaries in the Texas oil industry. In fact, I'm so far out of the job market these days, I couldn't even tell you the average salaries for journeymen wildlife biologists.

At any rate, if you decide on the Lubbock area, welcome to Texas and especially welcome to the South Plains.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM

714 posts, read 1,236,479 times
Having lived in Lubbock and still with very deep roots there, but currently living outside Amarillo, I can offer a good view of both.

They are both nice towns, and there is a market for accounting in both. Both are pretty cheap to live in, and offer a great deal for raising a family. As a quick side, I find it laudable that you are pursuing a plan to better yourself. Keep it up!

Amarillo has much in the way of blue collar work, and plenty of office admin/assistant type jobs. AS for straight accounting stuff, I don't really know, but there has got to be plenty of folks keeping up with the flow of money.

Lubbock is more white collar, and there are many opportunities for accounting. There are many comforts for family, and with TTU there are a world of opportunities for a single person. The oilfield has a firm foothold in the Levelland area, and accounting type jobs are certainly there. More to the south of Lubbock the oilfield work is gearing up and there will be more available there too. Towards Snyder and all around Midland/Odessa the oilfield is absolutely jamming, and there are plenty of open jobs to be had. Housing is really tight, so keep that in mind.

I think either Amarillo or Lubbock would be good for what you are looking for, but find you a job first if you can. That will make the decision MUCH easier.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,154,392 times
Id rather live in Lubbock than Amarillo but I would rather live in Midland over Lubbock/Amarillo.A lot of blue collar oil field workers are making more than PhDs.But like the other poster said,housing is really tight in Midland/Odessa.Midland has the lowest unemployment in the nation but maybe LBK would be more your style but dont move to Texas without a job.If you decide to be a roughneck,Odessa is the blue collar town and Midland is the white collar sister.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM

I would consider being a roughneck in the time being. This is one of the things that attracts me. I'm looking at quite a few regions, there's just nothing for me here in MI. I don't care what a job is, my AA is just my skill. I want a four year degree but if I fell into something else I'd do that as well. Oil rich places have a lot of appeal, especially West TX. I thought of ND but it is just too cold. Right now I'm leaning toward Lubbock more since I could possibly search for jobs in the oil fields south of there. I know I want to get out of MI. I hate it here. Economy is bad, and job or no job I know going somewhere else will brighten my prospects. I will have around $15-20,000 just to live on when I get there free and clear anyway, so I am in a situation where I could live a relatively long time searching for jobs if I wanted to. I would never move with no savings. Some say my way is foolish but my mind is made up. I'm done with MI.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,154,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I would consider being a roughneck in the time being. This is one of the things that attracts me. I'm looking at quite a few regions, there's just nothing for me here in MI. I don't care what a job is, my AA is just my skill. I want a four year degree but if I fell into something else I'd do that as well. Oil rich places have a lot of appeal, especially West TX. I thought of ND but it is just too cold. Right now I'm leaning toward Lubbock more since I could possibly search for jobs in the oil fields south of there. I know I want to get out of MI. I hate it here. Economy is bad, and job or no job I know going somewhere else will brighten my prospects. I will have around $15-20,000 just to live on when I get there free and clear anyway, so I am in a situation where I could live a relatively long time searching for jobs if I wanted to. I would never move with no savings. Some say my way is foolish but my mind is made up. I'm done with MI.
well there's no shame in being a roughneck.also if you decide to do that, you could possibly work your way into a high-paying white collar job like one of my family members did.If I was more more of a big city person,Lubbock would be a good choice.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Once again a lot of people my age think they will start on the top. I do not think so. I think of my grandfather who traveled the nation without a penny in his pocket in the depression, but later build a decent middle class existence. The difference is I will have $15,000 to fall back on, he literally had not one single dime, and he made it.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 PM

13,588 posts, read 18,191,187 times
Remember too that Lubbock has Texas Tech if you decide to go for a four-Year, or more, degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
Once again a lot of people my age think they will start on the top. I do not think so.
You'll do just fine in west Texas.

BTW, I had a 1st cousin who had his accounting degree and started his career working on an offshore oil derrick in the Gulf many years ago. The last time I heard from him he was a wealthy CPA and living in Houston.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM

I know I am going for a 4 year degree, I'm just looking for something to hold me over. This is the first forum where people have respected that. I'm just looking for something to earn some money. Nothing around here. But everyone says I should get my four year first but the fact I can't afford it right away and there are no jobs in my area (besides working 20 hours a week retail) seems to elude them.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM

714 posts, read 1,236,479 times
I think the people that have done the work and education thing ON THEIR OWN, very much understand exactly where you are coming from. There are an awful lot of folks who have had an education or even a job just handed to them, but there are also quite a few who have worked hard and sacrificed to get what/where they wanted in life.

You seem to be the kind of person that works very hard with what you have, and does the best you can. I respect that, and I think others do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock