U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 PM

92 posts, read 273,822 times

Advertisements

I am geographically challenged, so if I am posting in the wrong area, I apologize! I have scoured Texas maps for the past few days, and the more I search, the more confused I get!

We live in in the Va Beach area of Virginia. I am 56, my SO is 60. I am self employed, he runs a framing and drywall company. His sister lives in Big Spring, Texas, and recently came to visit. She has us convinced that we should move to Texas to be closer to her, and it's enticing! Looks to me like Big Spring is out in the middle of nowhere! She said builders are needed, as are CDL Drivers. My other half isn't 40 anymore, but he works like it! He is considering getting his CDL, she says he could find work in her area. I am not sure that I'd be very comfortable with everything being so far away, but I am open to learning more.

We are considering a 2 week visit to check the area out sometime in the early fall. Any recommendations or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,459,355 times
Big Spring looks like it's about 45 mins. from Midland, which is a fast-growing oil exploration hub with scarce housing (Big Spring may be experiencing a little of the same, don't know). Big Spring is about a four-hour drive from Fort Worth, the nearest large city. It's roughly two hours from Lubbock.

It has a much drier climate than Va. Beach, getting about 20 inches of precipitation on average/yr.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 PM

14,309 posts, read 18,791,489 times
I think you'll find pretty much everything in west Texas is "in the middle of no where" as compared to anywhere in Virginia. Virginia is a very beautiful state from the small amount I have seen in my life and I think a move to the Big Spring area of Texas would be quite a change for you. The oil boom has most of the Permian Basin growing and, from what I hear, there s a definite housing shortage from all the people moving in. The fall of the year might be a good time to visit west Texas as things may be starting to cool down somewhat. The Big Spring area is traditionally arid but I believe they have also been suffering from the drought as we have up here in the Lubbock area.

I can't really offer any useable advice about Big Spring as I have never lived down there. I mainly just wanted to welcome you to west Texas if you decide to make the move.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 AM

4,349 posts, read 7,547,700 times
Just a fair warning, everything I've heard about Big Spring indicates it's a run-down and unsafe small town.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Big Spring looks like it's about 45 mins. from Midland, which is a fast-growing oil exploration hub with scarce housing (Big Spring may be experiencing a little of the same, don't know). Big Spring is about a four-hour drive from Fort Worth, the nearest large city. It's roughly two hours from Lubbock.

It has a much drier climate than Va. Beach, getting about 20 inches of precipitation on average/yr.
Yes, I believe she flew out of the Midland/Odessa airport. She said it was about a 45 minute drive. She did mention there were LOTS of drivers jobs, transporting water to oil drillers. She has property in both Big Spring and Lubbock.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I think you'll find pretty much everything in west Texas is "in the middle of no where" as compared to anywhere in Virginia. Virginia is a very beautiful state from the small amount I have seen in my life and I think a move to the Big Spring area of Texas would be quite a change for you. The oil boom has most of the Permian Basin growing and, from what I hear, there s a definite housing shortage from all the people moving in. The fall of the year might be a good time to visit west Texas as things may be starting to cool down somewhat. The Big Spring area is traditionally arid but I believe they have also been suffering from the drought as we have up here in the Lubbock area.

I can't really offer any useable advice about Big Spring as I have never lived down there. I mainly just wanted to welcome you to west Texas if you decide to make the move.
If I could figure out the 'multi quote function' I would be happy! Sorry for so many replies!

I know moving there would be a big change, however I am adaptable! I went to College in Maine..where 'you can't get there from here' and where you had to have a snowmobile to get around! I am a Native NY'er, and adapted well to the Va area. Yes, there has been a bad drought in her area..It rained for 3 days when she got here, and she LOVED it! I am somewhat concerned about my SO finding work...but that's what we will be checking out in person. He's not a young gun anymore, but he is willing to work and work hard.

Thank you so much for the kind reply!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Just a fair warning, everything I've heard about Big Spring indicates it's a run-down and unsafe small town.
I have seen pictures, but other than what she has told me, I don't know either way. Fwiw, if the Big Spring Prison has anything to do with what you've heard about it being unsafe, I would maybe doubt that? She is actually a Lieutenant there. It is not a violent prison compared to other correctional facilities, so I am told. I need to do some more research!

Thanks again! I really appreciate all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock