U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM

13,202 posts, read 18,069,051 times

Advertisements

UprootedTexan:

If I may, allow me to offer some observations from my experiences living and working in Maryland, New Mexico and Texas.

In the 1970s/80s, I finished my degrees in wildlife and biology in New Mexico (ENMU). While attending school, I worked for the Santa Fe RR (loading piggyback trailers). After school, a career in biology eventually took me and my family to Maryland in the 1980s and in the 1990s we moved back to New Mexico at Albuquerque. My wife, who is still working at Albuquerque, is from the Lubbock area so after I retired, we purchased a small farm on the Texas South Plains. Now we find we have our feet, as well as our finances and lives, in two states. It is not an ideal situation to be in. We've been married for over forty years so our marriage is tough and can survive a lot. However, I'm not sure I would wish the same situation on a younger family.

Albuquerque is over 300 miles from Lubbock. Right now my wife and I have a city home at Albuquerque and a rural home in the Lubbock area. The best route from Albuquerque to Lubbock is Interstate 20 to Santa Rosa, then U.S. 84 to Fort Sumner and Clovis, NM, then on to Muleshoe, Littlefield, Lubbock, TX. I can tell you this is not a trip I would want to make once a week. It takes roughly 5 to 6 hours. And too, during many days during the winter months Interstate 20 is not a place to be found. I've slept out there on that interstate more than once during snowstorms and I had a 4x4. What normally happens is a large semi truck will overturn in the middle of the highway blocking everybody for hours. Also, sometimes the State will simply shut down the Interstate during snowy or icy weather. The smaller roads can even be worse than the Interstate during bad winter weather.

=== Crime ===

From my experiences, I would have to say that crimes that would affect a family would be about the same for both cities.

=== Taxes ===

Most of my income is derived in New Mexico. Also, my home there is worth over 5X what my rural Texas home is worth yet, even with the NM State income tax on my income, I would have to say I get hit harder in Texas with taxes simply because of the State's extremely high property tax rates. Keep in mind that tax rates in west Texas tend to be higher than in eastern and central Texas counties simply because we have a lot fewer tax bases and not many people to pay taxes. NM property taxes are very low as is the income tax. New Mexico has no county income tax as does Maryland.

I don't say all this to dissuade you from joining us here on the Texas South Plains. We would love to have you but what you are proposing for your family seems very daunting. To be sure, Lubbock area property and rent prices are much lower than what you will find in the Albuquerque area. And too, although not my alma mater, you would be hard pressed to find a better school than Texas Tech for your daughter.

There are folks here on CD who could advise you better than I as to the areas to live in Lubbock but I will say that the SW area outside of the Loop was the newest area when my wife and I owned a home in Lubbock in the 1980s. I think little has changed in that generality except that the city is now booming and my old house that was at the edge of the City in the 1980s (Slide and 96th) is now in the middle of, what I have always called, the "SW Lobe."

At any rate, best of luck in your plans and if you do decide to come to the Lubbock area, welcome.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 07-07-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM

18 posts, read 26,164 times
Hey Uprooted, just curious, but what is your husband going to be doing for BNSF? I know it's something I wouldn't be able to do, I'm just a truck driver, but I thought about the railroads, if I could find something similar to that. (4/3, 3/4)

Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,554,385 times
Best of Luck if you decide on Lubbock we lived their before and loved it.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

6 posts, read 7,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprootedtexan View Post
I'm following this thread because my daughter & I are also considering a move to Lubbock. I know the subject has been brought up before, a lot. Just looking for the most current info. Moving from southern Maryland/DC area to be near hubby. He just accepted a job with BNSF in Albuquerque area after being rifted by defense contractor, but I don't want to live in NewMex (taxes, jobs, crime). Thinking Lubbock might be a good choice. He'll be working a 4 on-3off/3 on/4 off shift so coming home on off time isn't as crazy as it seems (after 20+ yrs in Navy we're used to stuff like that). Our daughter wants to get back to college and Tech is one of few schools with her major (wildlife bio). My concern is jobs & crime -don't know what those are like there. We want to lease to start, then possibly buy. What areas should we avoid, safe being highest priority? We're used to Texas weather, originally from Dallas so hopefully we can handle Lubbock but welcome comparisons. Thanks for whatever advice you can give us!
Hey Uprooted,

High Plains gave you some great info.

I've been living in Lubbock for the last 7 years, so here's my take on the safer areas of Lubbock. The east side of Lubbock proper (east of University Avenue) is generally considered less safe and lower income, regardless of how far North/South you are.

The areas in blue are where most people would suggest you live. The closer to Texas Tech you are (ie the neighborhoods directly east and south of campus) are going to have higher crime rates, but nothing too scary. If you aren't too concerned about living in Lubbock, definitely consider Buffalo Springs and Ransom Canyon - both are quiet communities.

If you want an idea of the crime in a certain area, check out the maps on Trulia. I don't think they show you the crime in the area if you're looking at rentals, but if you click a random home for sale on Trulia and scroll down the page about halfway to the Local Info section, there is a map that lists comparables/schools/nearby homes/crimes/amenities/transit. You can drag the map around and view other areas of Lubbock outside of where the home is located. Just take what you see with a grain of salt.

As for jobs - there are lots here, it just depends on what you're looking for and what you're qualified to do. A lot of medical stuff here. Indeed.com will give you a really good idea of what's available in the job market right now.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM

709 posts, read 1,228,430 times
High_Plains_Retired is right (as usual) in the assessment of the drive back and forth. Minor issue though, please don't take I20 out of ALBQ, it will be hard to find, since I40 is the interstate going through ALBQ.

Seriously though, HPR always makes some great points about stuff, please pay attention to the great advice. I will also offer some suggestions too.

First, consider a small town like Shallowater. It is a bedroom community to Lubbock, a very easy and short commute into Tech, and might be a nice place to start the rather ugly commute to Albq.

Jobs can be had in Lubbock, for both of you. You will likely find something fairly easy, but please keep your mind open. Might find something a little out of your ordinary that you actually like.

Also, if you hubby gets and occasional lay off, and that is a possibility, he might can find temp work fairly easy in Lubbock. I have a friend who spent some years getting on solid with BNSF, but he is real happy with it.

Finally, make sure your hubby is prepared for a god-awful commute. I have made that exact drive a number of times, and from Muleshoe to Santa Rosa is almost no-man's land. Not much to eat, and a real boring drive. Not one I would want to make, but I am kind of a pansy.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,460 times
@Mark: sorry. I am brand new to this forum. I tried searching for youth ballet and baseball in Lubbock posts, but didn't find any. Can you give me the link? Thank you.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM

13,202 posts, read 18,069,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
please don't take I20 out of ALBQ, it will be hard to find, since I40 is the interstate going through ALBQ.
Ha! I knew that didn't sound right when I wrote it. I guess I've just taken too many trips on I-20 back to east Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock