U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,884 times

Advertisements

Okay moving to Lubbock possible this fall. Was wondering what Lubbock Texas is like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 11,406 times
We are, too! We are coming from New England. We are interested in everything ... schools, restaurants, baseball, ballet, and weather. Are there many neighborhoods with community swimming pools?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 PM

698 posts, read 1,206,967 times
I have spent the last 30 years either in or very near to Lubbock. Still have much of my surviving family (and in-laws) still living in the immediate Lubbock area, so spend a lot of time in Lubbock.

Quote:
We are interested in everything ... schools, restaurants, baseball, ballet, and weather.
Schools: Schools in Tx are divided into Districts, most of which in Lubbock are "Independent School Districts", and are independent taxing/administration entities. School district lines don't always (maybe even seldom) follow county or city limits. In Lubbock, there are several districts, Lubbock ISD, Frenship ISD (West side of town), Shallowater ISD (NE side of town) Roosevelt ISD (East of Lubbock), and Cooper ISD (South). Everyone has their preferences, but Frenship is a large district with one high school. Lubbock ISD has I think 5 high schools. Each of the others has one high school. LISD has one high school that is a "magnet" school, meaning if your kid can academically qualify, he/she can attend. I don't know much past that, however.

Restaurants: There are many, many to choose from. Lubbock is an "eat out" kind of city. Sunday lunch will be the most crowded, followed closely by Fri and Sat nights. Generally the food is very good, and there is much to choose from. If you like Mexican (I do), there are a number of very good places to eat.

Baseball: Texas Tech has a nice baseball stadium, and the games used to be great fun to attend. Lubbock Christian University usually has a very good baseball team. Having not been in 15 years or more, can't really say about now. Lubbock used to have a regional baseball team, but I have no idea if they do now. I think most of the high schools offer a solid baseball program. Community wide, it will be very easy to find a place for youngsters to play baseball.

Ballet:
Lubbock has a ballet troupe of some sort, but not being my bag.... I don't know anything about it. Do know someone puts on The Nutcracker at Christmas time and it is a big hit.

Weather: This one is a doozy.... Summer is hot. Very hot. Usually fairly dry as well, with occasional thunderstorms. Fall is warm, fairly dry, with increasingly cooler nights. Winter is a grab bag of warm, cool, cold, and icy. From day to day, at least week to week. Winter is not very well defined, but there is usually at least one winter event every year. Spring is the most beautiful/ugly season Lubbock has. There will be brief periods of beauty, but the times in between are cold, hot, thunderstorms, and frequent blowing dirt and sand. Everyone complains about it, so feel free to join in. If you offer something along the lines of "back home the weather is.....", then your accepted complaining will no longer be accepted. Odd, but true.

Other things:

Football: All the high schools place a very high priority on football. It is a social event, as well as an athletic event, in fact most all of Texas is pretty much the same. I don't care for football, but still get dragged out to games. If you like it though, give Texas Tech football a try. The tailgating is fun, the facility is fantastic, and the games are actually kind of fun.

Christmas:
Texas Tech does a real nice lighting ceremony each year. That is well worth going to see, even though it is usually packed with folks. Some years they are wearing shorts, some years bundled up. (See Weather)

4th of July: The city puts on a nice parade and event. It is usually packed with people, and is nearly always HOT. It is a lot of fun though.

South Plains Fair: A throwback to small town stuff, fall "Fairs" litter the state. This one is pretty fun, offers some rides, really bad/good fried food, and generally a lot of fun. Lots of crafts, animals, and people.

Swim: There used to be a water park, I don't know if it is still open. Have driven past it so many times, the last couple of years I never bothered to look any more.

Joyland: A small amusement park, but fun once in a while.

Parks: The city is covered up with parks. Some are great, some not, but if you don't like the one you are at, there is another one somewhere close.

Veteran's Memorial: A real nicely done place in the park off 82nd (a major east/west street). A nice place to wander around.

Shopping: South Plains mall is a big place to spend time if you like that sort of thing. Even have a brand new theater that just opened up. There are strip centers all over town. Grocery shopping is easy, as there are grocery stores everywhere, including all the Walmarts. Yep, there are 4 or more Walmart stores.

Churches: There are churches everywhere. If you are a church goer, it should not be tough to find one that fits. If you are not a church goer, it is still easy to find acceptance.

Movies: There are a lot of movie screens in town. Find the one you like best, but there are a lot to choose from.

Alternative Stuff: There used to be a group of folks called Society of Creative Anachronism or some such, that occasionally showed up or put on events. Can't really remember, although I had a friend that was huge into it. They dressed up in old England style clothes and were generally amusing, and met in one of hte parks in town. Music--- There are a number of venues in town for all sorts of music, and the college/bar scene is pretty happening. There are some very good musicians in Lubbock. There also is some sort of Symphony, however once again I am not into that stuff and know little about it.

Lots more to know, but there are some folks here on the forum that actually live in Lubbock and might be a better bet for more info. Since I visit frequently but no longer live there, I find there are some things I don't know much about any more.

After you get settled in, start exploring some. A short drive to New Mexico gets you snow ski-ing, nice mountain trips, Carlsbad Caverns. Palo Duro Canyon is a short drive up north to Canyon (almost in Amarillo), the DFW metroplex is a bit further, but a 3 day weekend is plenty doable.

Best of luck, and welcome to Texas!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM

2,100 posts, read 3,328,214 times
Regarding baseball, Tech recently renovated its field to the tune of $5 million. I went to a game back in April and it was a fun atmosphere.

The closest minor league teams to my knowledge would be in Midland (AA affiliate with Oakland) and Amarillo (independent). The Texas Rangers play in Arlington, a five hour drive to the east.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM

437 posts, read 806,993 times
There is still a water park, which you can learn more about at www.lubbockwaterrampage.com. A list of municipal pools can be found at City of Lubbock - Parks and Recreation - Pools. (Keep in mind that list does not include YWCA and other similar pools that can be accessed by the public.) Also, if you're in Lubbock on the 4th of July, be sure and check out the Fourth on Broadway celebration. It's the largest free festival in the state. For more ballet information, you can visit www.balletlubbock.org. Best of luck with your move!

Last edited by rr2005; 06-17-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM

12,751 posts, read 17,746,998 times
Sari78 and NewEnglandWheelers:

Likely as not you will find what you want to find in Lubbock but let me just say welcome to the Lubbock area.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM

35 posts, read 57,310 times
it's the greatest place on earth

Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 11,406 times
Wow, thank you everyone. I am so excited to get there and see it for ourselves. Lost Technician I appreciate the thorough descriptions. Everyone seems so nice, thank you!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 PM

2,927 posts, read 4,051,599 times
You question has been asked before, lots of times. don't forget to check the previous threads on Lubbock to cover most everything.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,620 times
I'm following this thread because my daughter & I are also considering a move to Lubbock. I know the subject has been brought up before, a lot. Just looking for the most current info. Moving from southern Maryland/DC area to be near hubby. He just accepted a job with BNSF in Albuquerque area after being rifted by defense contractor, but I don't want to live in NewMex (taxes, jobs, crime). Thinking Lubbock might be a good choice. He'll be working a 4 on-3off/3 on/4 off shift so coming home on off time isn't as crazy as it seems (after 20+ yrs in Navy we're used to stuff like that). Our daughter wants to get back to college and Tech is one of few schools with her major (wildlife bio). My concern is jobs & crime -don't know what those are like there. We want to lease to start, then possibly buy. What areas should we avoid, safe being highest priority? We're used to Texas weather, originally from Dallas so hopefully we can handle Lubbock but welcome comparisons. Thanks for whatever advice you can give us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or