U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,174 times

Advertisements

I will be dropped off along I-20 going west bound. I'm from out of state and need to get to dalhart, tx. What are my options? The cheapest way is preferred. The farthest west I can get dropped off is midland/Odessa. Would it be possible to take a bus from there to dalhart? Is there a greyhound in that area? How can I get to Lubbock to Amarillo and to dalhart? Can I do it for under $100? Once again, I have no car, no bike. And will be dropped off along i-20, where is the best place to get dropped off so I can get to dalhart? Thank u so much. I am really in a tight bind here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,384,472 times
Looks like Big Spring might be the best option, since I think it's the closest city on I-20 to Lubbock w/ a Greyhound station (106 mi acc'ding to Google). US 87 becomes I-27 in Lubbock, and from there 27 goes to Amarillo. Then there are several ways to get to Dalhart. Google says it's about 303 mi total (probably longer because of the side trips to the stations).

Doesn't look like there's a Greyhound station in Dalhart, but the web site lists one in Clayton NM, 45 min away.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM

168 posts, read 248,209 times
hope you made it by now. living in austin, growing up in west texas, and having traveled around the world quite a bit; i am really appalled by the lack of intercity transportation in most of the usa (and especially texas). you really have to have a car to get around texas. the government can spend billions subsidizing airline travel, and collect billions more on gas tax, but they can't spend a penny on helping people get around their own country or state by ensuring that remote communities are serviced by ground transportation. sure, amarillo and lubbock have pretty good airline service, but just try getting between the two cities without a car (probably best to just get out onto I27 and stick up your thumb.) now if you want to go from houston, austin, or san antonio to most anywhere in mexico you can hop on a fairly nice bus in the parking lot of fiesta supermarket on a friday night and get there asap. not really sure where i'm going with this, but i do hope you made it to your panhandle destination overcoming some pretty big odds.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 PM

168 posts, read 248,209 times
after my previous rant i decided to check the websites for your best option. "shoe01" gave you good advice. big springs has 2 departures daily on greyhound to amarillo where you could transfer to clayton, nm bound bus. the schedule shows a stop in dumas and then clayton. the only highway through that area goes through dalhart so i can't imagine the driver wouldn't drop you off there. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,253,154 times
Abilene, Big Spring, or Odessa have bus connections to Amarillo. buying a ticket online is about ten bucks cheaper than at a station window. Rates are from about $55 to $75 or more, probalby plus tax. There is also a connection from Fort Worth for a bit more.

There's a Hostel about ten minutes from downtown Dallas, http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/37838-...st-Backpackers. About $30 a night.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-16-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,174 times
Thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock