U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM

13,557 posts, read 18,188,261 times

Advertisements

FYI: Lubbock unemployment reaches 5.3 percent for July, 2013. Read the story here.

The state of labor in Lubbock | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM

437 posts, read 818,577 times
Interesting. I've heard a lot lately about the fact that, as a society, we are pushing all young people towards college. This has created a skilled labor shortage. One of our State representatives says he's attempting to institute a vocational option in high schools, which seems like a good idea to me.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Interesting. I've heard a lot lately about the fact that, as a society, we are pushing all young people towards college. This has created a skilled labor shortage. One of our State representatives says he's attempting to institute a vocational option in high schools, which seems like a good idea to me.
I've lost track of what our public schools are doing nowadays but it must not be easy to discern what a teenage kid wants. I recall that I was an officer in my high school's Vocational Industrial Clubs of America (VICA) chapter. I also recall giving serious thought to dropping out of high school. Fortunately, my uneducated parents encouraged me to at least finish HS. I credit my college education to four years in the Air Force as an enlisted man where I found myself being required to salute a particular 1st lieutenant who was truly a moron. I rationalized that maybe college wasn't so difficult after all and I was right.

I have two in-laws and one brother who are retired from law enforcement, one county sheriff and two city policemen. One of the policemen had a BS. The others had only associate degrees. I also have a nephew who is currently an FBI agent. He has a bachelor's degree. I don't know what modern law enforcement departments require anymore. I suppose it varies by location and job. I admire anyone who seeks a career in law enforcement. I worked for several years as a Federal regulatory officer and had to wear a uniform with a badge. That was as close to law enforcement I wanted to be.

I just saw the Lubbock article and someone this past year on C-D had asked about working with the Lubbock Police. I thought it may be helpful to someone.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,055,719 times
HP: They've been short for years. I think the pay and benefits are OK, but of course the hours are bad. They've run articles in the A-J. They get lots of applicants but most wash out. Like, they'll start with 100 applicants and graduate 10.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Yes. It seems like ever since I came back over here a few years ago, there have been billboards at Lubbock advertising for policemen.

I have several law enforcement people in my family but I personally have never had any desire to work in the field. However, I am really glad someone wants to do it.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM

274 posts, read 470,139 times
It looks like Lubbock is getting very close to statistical full employment. That last 5% includes people like ex-convicts, high school dropouts and people with disabilities that have a hard time finding work no matter how hard they look. I'm getting close to moving and I'm considering possibly going back to Texas. I lived in Lubbock in the early 1980's so I thought I would take another look at that area. The possibly of getting a job is worth considering.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 PM

We had a home in SW Lubbock in the mid-1980s but moved away for a few years. When we returned in retirement, we moved to a rural setting northeast of town.

The Lubbock area still has dust storms, vanishing point landscapes and lots of cotton but welcome back if you decide to come back.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM

274 posts, read 470,139 times
I was stationed at Reese AFB. It looks like it's gone now. That's a shame because I really liked working there. Lubbock is a good city but when I was there I wasn't able to find much in the way of outdoor recreational activities. I was only there a couple years so I had thought that maybe I wasn't there long enough to find what I was looking for. I like fishing, boating, hunting, bicycling, hiking, backpacking, nature photography, and similar activities. I should probably start a separate thread to see what other people know about what's available in those areas.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

It was also the Air Force that brought me out to the region but at Cannon (1968-72) in New Mexico. Back then I spent a lot of time at Ute Lake with an old Crosby ski boat I had restored. I also hunted in New Mexico and visited many historical and unique geological and archaeological sites. I stayed in the area only about 8 years after I got out of the service. However, from the time I left, my head and heart were always headed back. I returned but only after another two decades had passed.

Much has obviously changed since my younger AF days. I'm afraid my outside activities now mostly involve working on my farm buildings and equipment and all the other activities that go along with small farm living.

Hopefully someone younger here on C-D will assist in answering your questions. I'm sort of out of touch with that sort of thing anymore.

A new thread might indeed be worth your time. I think more people will see your question. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: