U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM

437 posts, read 816,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
The problem is that a lot of people who drive through Lubbock on I-27 (quite a few) only see downtown and the eastern portions of the city, unless they stay in a hotel on the SW side or at a place like the Overton, Staybridge, Hawthorn, etc. They have no idea that the city is much larger than the popular perception, and the small, decrepit-looking skyline helps to feed the notion that Lubbock has little going for it, fair or not.

Suburbs in the Metroplex can get away with not having downtowns since residents can travel a few miles to a city that does (like Fort Worth, as JJG illustrated).
This is so true. Unfortunately, most people traveling through only see the industrial area and a distant view of downtown, which is strewn with power lines and poles. When coming into Lubbock to get to the Tech campus, most people come in on I-27 and turn onto the Marsha Sharp Freeway or 19th Street. Again, not the most scenic area of the city. I must admit that I was a doubter when the Overton project started, and was blown away by the improvements. The Depot District, which is adjacent to downtown, has really blossomed and I think continuing the renewal is a great thing for Lubbock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM

3,884 posts, read 7,196,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Downtown redevelopment is a total waste of money. Downtowns don't exist in most newer modern cities and are pretty much unnecessary. If you go to Plano, Richardson, Carrollton and many other cities in the DFW area, you will find no downtown. While the tall buildings in downtown Dallas and FT. Worth might look impressive, there isn't really much going on down there, especially on the weekend. IMHO, this is a boondoggle to favor certain wealthy people in our area. Light rail is also silly. We have a great road system. Light rail is extremely expensive and would not carry many people, especially in a city like Lubbock that is so spread out and has ample parking everywhere. I'm glad I will not be around when asked to pay the taxes on this silliness.
1) Plano, Richardson, and Carrollton aren't modern cities. They're DFW suburbs from the 60s-90s era.
2) Most downtowns in modern American cities are booming because some people like vibrancy and would like another option than to drive from strip mall to strip mall.
3) Aesthetics are also important to appeal of a city. Well-done public transit gets people out of cars and into storefronts.
4) The North Overton revitalization is a wild success by most Lubbockites' accounts, and there is plenty of reason to believe the district next to it, the historic center of the city, should be able to go the same way.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 AM
JJG

13,582 posts, read 20,443,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Downtown redevelopment is a total waste of money. Downtowns don't exist in most newer modern cities and are pretty much unnecessary. If you go to Plano, Richardson, Carrollton and many other cities in the DFW area, you will find no downtown. While the tall buildings in downtown Dallas and FT. Worth might look impressive, there isn't really much going on down there, especially on the weekend. IMHO, this is a boondoggle to favor certain wealthy people in our area. Light rail is also silly. We have a great road system. Light rail is extremely expensive and would not carry many people, especially in a city like Lubbock that is so spread out and has ample parking everywhere. I'm glad I will not be around when asked to pay the taxes on this silliness.
I'm sorry, I just had to get back to this...

Why do you mention three SUBURBS and act as if they are cities? Those are horrible examples seeing how they are just overgrown suburban towns.

I can't speak for Dallas, but even I'll say that it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Downtown Fort Worth doesn't have many skyscrapers (there are only 6 real ones and they're all under 600 ft.) and there's plenty to do on weekends with several major events year round.

Your take on light rail is just another narrow minded NIMBY attitude. Light rail for a city like Lubbock may be unnecessary for the time being, but in general, it's not "silly". Not every single person has a car and believe it or not, even some people who do have cars may not want to drive them all the time. It's an alternative form of public transportation which is needed in a city. Eventually, Lubbock will have to at least look into it.

With all due respect, your entire post just sounds like yet another crotchety person who's stuck in the 60's.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 AM

2,111 posts, read 3,370,049 times
Downtown Lubbock redevelopment making progress - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Old 01-10-2014, 03:10 PM

286 posts, read 499,815 times
bunch of clueless people on this board. Downtowns are dead period. Houston's Downtown is getting its killed by the Energy Corridor which has over 4 million sq ft of office space in construction now. Who wants a centralized downtown anymore, obviously not the people working in them since suburban areas are picking up office space not downtown.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 01-10-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Your take on light rail is just another narrow minded NIMBY attitude. Light rail for a city like Lubbock may be unnecessary for the time being, but in general, it's not "silly". Not every single person has a car and believe it or not, even some people who do have cars may not want to drive them all the time. It's an alternative form of public transportation which is needed in a city. Eventually, Lubbock will have to at least look into it.

With all due respect, your entire post just sounds like yet another crotchety person who's stuck in the 60's.
Do you even work in an office building or do you just like staring at them and pretending you can afford to party in the city. I've worked in the real Dowtown aka Lower Manhattan, your childish ideals are quite humerous.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 01-10-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM
JJG

13,582 posts, read 20,443,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Do you even work in an office building or do you just like staring at them and pretending you can afford to party in the city. I've worked in the real Dowtown aka Lower Manhattan, your childish ideals are quite humerous.
Oh my God...

Downtown areas are more than just office buildings and skyscrapers. Or did you just completely ignore everything else I posted? Also, dude, it's Manhattan. You're comparing a densely populated island/borough in New York of over a million people to cities that are under or nearly equal to that.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling or completely clueless...

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM

104 posts, read 160,834 times
I had not been in Lubbock since the mid 80's until last spring when I attended a work related function. The transformation of the Overton area was amazing, it is definitely not the Tech Ghetto anymore. The downtown area has a lot of potential but probably not as a typical central business district like you think of in a bigger city. I would see it becoming more of a mix use develop area with residential/retail/office/entertainment. Hopefully the growth will keep heading to the east. That part of Lubbock has a lot of potential to become an attractive area.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,769,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
bunch of clueless people on this board. Downtowns are dead period. Houston's Downtown is getting its killed by the Energy Corridor which has over 4 million sq ft of office space in construction now. Who wants a centralized downtown anymore, obviously not the people working in them since suburban areas are picking up office space not downtown.
Are you sure about that? Austin, Fort Worth, and San Antonio are no where near dead. Yeck even Dallas, Houston are on the up swing with lots of residential and mixed use projects on the way.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Are you sure about that? Austin, Fort Worth, and San Antonio are no where near dead. Yeck even Dallas, Houston are on the up swing with lots of residential and mixed use projects on the way.
I said largely dead in terms office space (excluding Houston Downtown which still is no match for the Energy Corridor and Lower Manhattan NYC), obviously people fresh out of college with inadequate credit to buy homes or in their dreams condos are desperate to get an apartment in various downtown areas for whatever that's worth. Also Uptown Houston is a much hotter market than Downtown Houston. Above poster was laughably acting like the suburbs are dead and Downtown CBD's are the future even though the homes price points dwarf that of downtown apartment dwellers.

Let me know when you can get a new home in Plano for the low price of an apartment downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock