U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM

3,952 posts, read 7,253,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
I said largely dead in terms office space (excluding Houston Downtown which still is no match for the Energy Corridor and Lower Manhattan NYC), obviously people fresh out of college with inadequate credit to buy homes or in their dreams condos are desperate to get an apartment in various downtown areas for whatever that's worth. Also Uptown Houston is a much hotter market than Downtown Houston. Above poster was laughably acting like the suburbs are dead and Downtown CBD's are the future even though the homes price points dwarf that of downtown apartment dwellers.

Let me know when you can get a new home in Plano for the low price of an apartment downtown.
Downtowns aren't simply about office space anymore. Single-use urban planning is well on its way out because it's an inefficient use of space, and downtowns are now being seen not necessarily as central business districts, but as the main focus of vibrancy in the city, which not only includes office space, but entertainment, culture, shopping, and high density living. Dallas and Houston aren't the places to be looking if you want an example of what a downtown is supposed to be. Let me know when you can get a new condo in central Austin as cheap as a home in Round Rock, or Seattle/Issaquah, or Chicago/Schaumburg, etc. It's like you've never seen anything but sprawly Sunbelt cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,385,611 times
Back to Lubbock's downtown, it has had some expensive New York-style flats for years now. The Pioneer Condos building is expected to open in a few months as pointed out in the KCBD article on page 2. There's a lot of work to do, but Downtown should look better in a few years, similar to the improvement in N. Overton ten years ago.

Speaking of that neighborhood, it is home to the four-star Overton Hotel, which is about one mile from Downtown.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM

In another attempt to steer this thread back on topic, I really like how Reagor-Dykes is renovating office space in the Myrick-Green and Cobb buildings in Downtown Lubbock:

Reagor-Dykes Expand Company, Hoping to Revitalize Downtown Lubbock - EverythingLubbock.com

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,761,510 times
I think revitalizing downtown Lubbock is kinda dumb, and I love downtown ammenity areas in general and love mass transit. It's just that you have a perfectly walkable high density area (texas tech university) that is already in existence and growing - the walkable part of lubbock should grow around that - not around the disconnected downtown a few miles away. Build density where the people already are and you will have much stronger results. If you want downtown to flourish as well, then the gov't can focus development dollars in that direction as it grows organically and eventually the two areas will meet.

Also FYI, Plano is spending a lot of funds building up their downtown, but it makes sense there because they built their college in BFE and they don't have any other high density walkable areas to choose as a starting point.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

3,952 posts, read 7,253,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think revitalizing downtown Lubbock is kinda dumb, and I love downtown ammenity areas in general and love mass transit. It's just that you have a perfectly walkable high density area (texas tech university) that is already in existence and growing - the walkable part of lubbock should grow around that - not around the disconnected downtown a few miles away. Build density where the people already are and you will have much stronger results. If you want downtown to flourish as well, then the gov't can focus development dollars in that direction as it grows organically and eventually the two areas will meet.

Also FYI, Plano is spending a lot of funds building up their downtown, but it makes sense there because they built their college in BFE and they don't have any other high density walkable areas to choose as a starting point.
Texas Tech, North Overton, and Downtown are literally right next to each other, less than a mile from each other. North Overton, the one high-density neighborhood in town, bridges Tech and downtown and was redeveloped in the exact same manner that Lubbock's downtown is undergoing.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

What Westerner said, plus Tech itself is building very large new residence halls on the SW side of campus as I type this. Also, I think there are at least two more apartment complexes in the works in N. Overton, as well as a restaurant/bar. I'm pretty sure I'm missing other things in the planning stages in and around Tech.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM

437 posts, read 819,989 times
It would be great to have those areas all connected. Besides, downtown is just ugly. Regardless of function, just improving the aesthetics would really help the city's image, in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 PM

50,574 posts, read 40,720,021 times
Reagor and Dykes have their work cut out for them with their new projects, but I have faith that they'll get them done as fast as possible. Remodeled buildings are better than eyesores.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 70,312 times
I visited lubbock recently and liked the new businesses I saw and construction around the north loop. The city feels way different then it did a decade ago. The place seems like it knows what to do to compete with other Texas cities who have really set an unofficial standard as far as downtown development and aesthetics are concerned. Does downtown really matter? Of course! It's the reflection of the city. Sure it needs more business towers and hotels, but it has a lot of ground work to cover. Can it work? Well look at N. Overton. I love it there. You put that downtown and I see no reason why it would fail.... then the towers will come.
I don't know much of it's progress but people who don't expect much from that downtown will see the potential in years to come. Don't blame the community for being non believers, they aren't used to a nice downtown like Austin, or Dallas...other big city etc. Oh and for those who don't think Dallas or Ft. Worth has bustling downtowns, umm well you haven't been here recently have you? Sundance square in Ft Worth has a lot of bars, restaurants and scenery that has people walking it well into the late hours. As for Dallas...go to downtown on a Friday afternoon and become speechless after the foot traffic overwhelmins you. Go at night on the weekend and you won't believe how hard it is to find parking, let alone getting through the waves of people young and old walking the streets. It's down right awesome. Sorry for ranting, but downtowns matter greatly, this coming from a guy who has been to Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, San Antonio, Boston, Philly, New Orleans, San Diego, OKC, Portland, and St Louis. I have seen it firsthand how good a downtown can be. Oh and I live in downtown Dallas. Heck, stop by and I will show you personally how fun it is here. Me and my pup love it! Downtown Lubbock is guaranteed to shine. That town loves getting new things and I fully support what they have going on. If this was done ten years ago, I probably would have stayed in the high plains. Oh, and guns up!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 AM

50,574 posts, read 40,720,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Fox View Post
I visited lubbock recently and liked the new businesses I saw and construction around the north loop. Downtown Lubbock is guaranteed to shine. That town loves getting new things and I fully support what they have going on. If this was done ten years ago, I probably would have stayed in the high plains. Oh, and guns up!
One advantage to Lubbock's downtown: Free parking! As far as I know, the few parking garages that I've seen don't charge anything.

And that could be enough incentive for more developers (other than those already mentioned) to give the area a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock