Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 AM

177 posts, read 971,500 times

Advertisements

My mother was born and grew up in these counties in the 40's and early 50's. I was going through her pictures and came across one that she doesn't recognize. I have not been able to get a year, location, or reason/cause for the picture. Since they lived in these counties I assume it was taken in one of them. The bottom right says "Texas 04-23(?)" The rest is missing. I don't see any political signs, etc so it probably isn't a campaign. The picture seems to have been taken from a higher angle than the crowd so maybe from a train or something.

If no one has any knowledge of the picture, maybe a contact to the local historians would help.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Lubbock, Lynn, Floyd & Crosby Counties: Help with Pic ID-texas-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
You've cut out a significant part of the background with the "tag" but, from the number of people who are gathered in the picture and the large trees, one might guess the place was in old MacKenzie Park inside the City of Lubbock.

Also, Lynn, Crosby and Floyd Counties remain to this day very rural and, had the picture been taken in these counties, the mens' attire would seem to have likely included many more overalls and farming attire. The fellow at the center middle seems to in the attire of a doctor so that could be a lead.

You may want to share the pic with these folks: Welcome to the South Plains Genealogical Society

Good luck. Please let us know what you learn.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
The number and size of trees also makes me think it might have been taken in McKenzie Park. I don't know of any public areas in the other counties you mentioned that would have had those.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, and for the link. I was trying to put a watermark on there and was in a hurry and did not remove the background. What is hidden are trees only. There is nothing else in the picture background but trees. I'll give genealogy site a try.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Here's a better shot of the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Lubbock, Lynn, Floyd & Crosby Counties: Help with Pic ID-texas-mark.jpg  

Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Again, I sort of doubt that any event could gather that number of people in one place in any of your counties except for Lubbock County during the 1940s and early 1950s. And too, the time of the event seems to have been in the summertime since the trees are leafed out and a few children can be seen in short-sleeved shirts. There was no air conditioning in most automobiles until the 1960s and, unless the trip entailed several days, people pretty much stayed close to home in the 1940s and 1950s.

Another area that could be suspect for the photo is Ransom Canyon. I don't know what the Canyon looked like in during the period you have mentioned but surely it had large trees because of its water. I don't see any "bluffs" or rock cliffs in the photos however.

The larger trees appear to be elm (Chinese elms?) although one small one in the center of the pic could be a pecan.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Several people seem to be wearing "ribbons" on their left shoulder. Perhaps this gathering had something to do with the Panhandle-South Plains Fair?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM

I did forward the pic to the link you gave me, thanks. She has forwarded it to several people that she thinks might know the origin. Btw, I talked to my mom and now she says that she is in the picture and was a little girl. She was born in 1940 in Tahoka, so it was definitely after 1940.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
I did forward the pic to the link you gave me, thanks. She has forwarded it to several people that she thinks might know the origin. Btw, I talked to my mom and now she says that she is in the picture and was a little girl. She was born in 1940 in Tahoka, so it was definitely after 1940.
Your mom is nine years older than me. Good for her.

Good luck with identifying the pic. Please let us know where, and for what reason, it was taken.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 PM

41 posts, read 49,279 times
My best guess is Mackenzie park in Lubbock as well. I think it may be from one of the many family reunions held there in the 40s and 50's. It brings back memories of the Sanderson family reunion when I was about five years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock