Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:09 PM

11 posts, read 17,688 times

Advertisements

"Unless you own land, there's no hunting, no ATV parks, outdoor shooting range, bike paths for street bikes, or even bike lanes."

There are bike lanes on Boston and Flint, to name a few. Coming from the DC region Lubbock seems great for biking. You can ride on side streets easily with little car traffic. Riding around Tech Terrace is great. Over in DC the roads are clogged with cars and difficult to ride on. Plus, the design of suburbia makes it difficult to bike outside of the housing complex that you happen to find yourself in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Oax

33 posts, read 34,757 times
I grew up in Lubbock.
There isn't a whole lot to do necessarily but it has everything you need. I've been to other cities in the Texas Panhandle that I found far more boring.

If you're the outdoorsman type like myself, you won't find much fulfillment in Lubbock. If you're used to the bars on 6th & Congress in Austin, you're going to be disappointed with Lubbock. If you're also an atheist like I am, it can sometimes limit your opportunities.

But the most boring city?
Hardly.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 PM

437 posts, read 919,614 times
I don't think Lubbock is boring at all. At one point, it had the most restaurants per capita in the state. It has a great local music scene, Water Rampage Water Park, Joyland Amusement Park, and several (new) cinemas and bars/clubs. There's the Lubbock Symphony, the Cactus Theatre, Lubbock Moonlight Musicals and Ballet Lubbock. It has the expanding entertainment district known as the Depot District, which hosts the First Friday Art Trail and the Lubbock Downtown Farmers Market. There's ample shopping, including Chrome, which has been named one of the "Top 50 Retail Destinations in Texas" by Lucky Magazine.
There is an ongoing slate of cultural and sporting events hosted by Texas Tech, which also hosts one of the "Top 10 Best Public Art Collections" in the United States as well as the Rawls Golf Course, which was named Golfweek's "#2 Best Golf Course in Texas." Quite a few big concerts come through. For example, it's where George Strait chose to kick off his farewell tour, and Cher and Paul McCartney are both scheduled to do shows in Lubbock this fall. Lubbock is home to the National Ranching Heritage Center and the American Wind Power Center and Museum. There's also the Science Spectrum, which often hosts new exhibits and activities.
I could go on, but the point is that I could literally find something "fun" to do in Lubbock every day. I think perhaps some of the folks who claim they can't would rather complain than look around.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I don't think Lubbock is boring at all. At one point, it had the most restaurants per capita in the state. It has a great local music scene, Water Rampage Water Park, Joyland Amusement Park, and several (new) cinemas and bars/clubs. There's the Lubbock Symphony, the Cactus Theatre, Lubbock Moonlight Musicals and Ballet Lubbock. It has the expanding entertainment district known as the Depot District, which hosts the First Friday Art Trail and the Lubbock Downtown Farmers Market. There's ample shopping, including Chrome, which has been named one of the "Top 50 Retail Destinations in Texas" by Lucky Magazine.
There is an ongoing slate of cultural and sporting events hosted by Texas Tech, which also hosts one of the "Top 10 Best Public Art Collections" in the United States as well as the Rawls Golf Course, which was named Golfweek's "#2 Best Golf Course in Texas." Quite a few big concerts come through. For example, it's where George Strait chose to kick off his farewell tour, and Cher and Paul McCartney are both scheduled to do shows in Lubbock this fall. Lubbock is home to the National Ranching Heritage Center and the American Wind Power Center and Museum. There's also the Science Spectrum, which often hosts new exhibits and activities.
I could go on, but the point is that I could literally find something "fun" to do in Lubbock every day. I think perhaps some of the folks who claim they can't would rather complain than look around.

Another thought to add--Lubbock is not a place a tourist would go for excitement. Therefore, if this "boring" designation is from the perspective of a visitor, it's not unfounded. However, if it's geared more toward a "places to live" mentality, I wholeheartedly disagree. Conventional wisdom says that people don't frequently visit tourist-type attractions in their hometowns anyway, so I don't believe those types of amenities should be factored into a "places to live" sort of ranking anyway.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
Quote:
Another thought to add--Lubbock is not a place a tourist would go for excitement. Therefore, if this "boring" designation is from the perspective of a visitor, it's not unfounded. However, if it's geared more toward a "places to live" mentality, I wholeheartedly disagree. Conventional wisdom says that people don't frequently visit tourist-type attractions in their hometowns anyway, so I don't believe those types of amenities should be factored into a "places to live" sort of ranking anyway.
I'm actually looking to move to Lubbock, the fact that it has all that culture, especially the theaters and museums are playing a major factor in my decision to live there. What some people find boring another finds exciting.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 PM

52,579 posts, read 47,723,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_red_bound View Post
I'm actually looking to move to Lubbock, the fact that it has all that culture, especially the theaters and museums are playing a major factor in my decision to live there. What some people find boring another finds exciting.
Let me encourage you to come on in! If you like culture, then you will like the place we call The Hub City. You'll be just in time, too, as a new performing arts center is under construction as we speak, slated to open in two years. Combined with the city's pop and rock music history, this place has the largest concentration of cultural arts between the Dallas-Fort Worth area and Phoenix. Depending on what job you're looking at having here, you won't have any trouble getting plugged in. You'll also like the big South Plains sunrises and sunsets, too.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM

52,579 posts, read 47,723,764 times
Default But Wait, There's More....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_red_bound View Post
In addition, the area is getting more new restaurants all over the city, as well as an addition to the new West End shopping center. There's also an aquarium slated to go in near Slide and Marsha Sharp within a couple of years, along with a new adventure park. The new College Baseball museum complex is also expected to commence construction once a design is selected. And I misspoke earlier about the Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences. The place will have its groundbreaking on April 20 and then construction will begin, taking two years to complete. Funds for that are pouring in. That center, by the way, will be next door to the College Baseball Museum, to be built near Marsha Sharp and Avenue L.

You'll like what great things are going on in this town!

College Baseball Hall of Fame: Museum: Main

And even though this below is from the visitors bureau, the link will give you some idea of some good eating places in the city, many of which the locals just love.

http://www.visitlubbock.org/visit/eat-drink/#dining

Old 04-03-2017, 04:55 PM

4,336 posts, read 3,538,904 times
Quote:
Now, not necessarily. While not exactly Amarillo, Lubbock has some of its own unique qualities and they appear to be adding new attractions all the time. I was just there a few weeks ago (having not been there in a few years), and things are changing there. That college baseball Hall of Fame building that's forthcoming could be a real (pun slightly intended) game changer for that whole area once it comes to fruition.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Now, not necessarily. While not exactly Amarillo, Lubbock has some of its own unique qualities and they appear to be adding new attractions all the time. I was just there a few weeks ago (having not been there in a few years), and things are changing there. That college baseball Hall of Fame building that's forthcoming could be a real (pun slightly intended) game changer for that whole area once it comes to fruition.
Yes- I'm looking forward to visiting that. In just the past month, I've been to Cirque de Soleil, a rodeo, a musical production, a Garth Brooks concert, and some great sporting events- all in Lubbock. So I may have to take back what I said anyway.😁

Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,903,470 times
Really hope this gets resolved:

https://theraiderland.com/lubbock-ci...ad-in-lubbock/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock