Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 PM

52,579 posts, read 47,723,764 times

Advertisements

Great picture of downtown. It's too bad Midland's downtown has more buildings [Nothing against Midland -- you guys rock. This is just comparison/contrast]. That's what Lubbock needs right now ---- besides a few yuccas and palms.

In all seriousness, this is where you really begin to start doing great things with any city, and that is change the downtown perspective. I don't think any new buildings have been built in downtown in the last thirty years. It's high time that changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
The few times I have been in Lubbock made me feel like I was going into a Western movie. I drove there from Wichita Falls, and you have alot of pretty caprock once you get west of Benjamin. As the other posters have noted, it is a sparsley vegetated area, but it isn't exactly treeless. If you like the variable weather aspects, especially in the winter, and don't mind the occasional raging dust storms that frequent the area in the spring and fall, Lubbock is a decent place to go.
I did a trip to Lubbock from The Falls last year and traveled U.S. 82. It is an underrated drive. I'll never forget the caprock. People might think it's boring, but it is amazing what you can glean out of that 200-mile stretch. And Seymour and Crosbyton are nice little towns. In Lubbock, you can see big slices of Americana that you probably didn't think about before. Dust storms, schmust storms. I can't until my next time out there, and maybe I'll have more to look at. If I take any new pictures, I'll be sure to bring them to you. But Lubbock, oh my, has tons of potential. Tons.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,903,470 times
If you get there from May to October, be sure to take pics of the university, when the trees have leaves on them. Or when there's snow on the ground before then.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
..... I can't until my next time out there, and maybe I'll have more to look at.
I think I meant I can't wait to get back there. Now when that will be, I don't know.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 16,967 times
I'm moving to Lubbock from the northeast for graduate school. In for bit of a culture shock I would assume...

Anything in the city that I should definitely check out?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 16,967 times
Also, where I am from I use Yelp.com a lot to find out about new things. A great resource for restaurants, stores, etc...

If anyone wants to help fill out the Lubbock page that would be great. I plan on adding some of my own reviews and editing some of the info once I get down there.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Just Wondering....

By the way, folks, is it just me or has anyone besides me noticed that Lubbock does not have a zoo?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,154,336 times
If your heading for Lubbock right now, you might need to bring your own water....growth and drought doth have its draw backs. News report yesterday said water allocations cut and rationing possible soon. Also said that the intakes on the reservoir (lake) will not be working soon and will have to add special pumps. All the while, Mr. Pickens is trying to swipe the subsurface water (and there is apparently a lot of it deep down) by developing a 1/2 acre or so MUD to put in the wells and sell it elsewhere. He is lobbying very hard at the state legislature for this. Guess he foresees that water will be dearer than oil and is diversifying. Go to Google news and query Lubbock and Water for the scoop.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 PM

2,310 posts, read 3,903,470 times
cpj,

I've heard that these places are good:

Melt
One Guy From Italy
Rosa's (Bob Knight eats there)
Double Nickel

I've been to/recommend:
Abuelo's
Cagle
Depot District

Old 12-29-2007, 02:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,131,814 times
CPJ: I had a good friend who moved to Lubbock from Philadelphia, and she had a great deal of culture shock, but she loves West Texas now and wouldn't move back. Some of the things that concerned her when she first landed without a car:

She asked where to catch the subway or train to Texas Tech. There are none. You will have to depend on cabs from the airport.

She really was shocked at the lack of trees, vegetation, etc. However, she is now used to the wide open spaces and loves it. She now tells me that when she goes back to Philly, she feels claustrophobic because of the number of people and the density of housing.

Texas Tech is really spread out. You will need a bicycle or a car to get around easily unless your classes are limited to one building. It is a huge (physically) campus.

I have eaten at all of the restaurants that shoe01 recommended except for the Double Nickel and One Guy from Italy, and I can tell you that they are all good. There are also some other great steak houses besides Cagle's, but my senility is kicking in. I will try to recommend them later. For a fun place with a college person's menu, I like Gardski's Loft, if it is still there....haven't eaten there in about three years. It was on 19th Street.

You will love the area and the people--once you adjust to the differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock