Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 30,381 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to Lubbock, and would like to "chat" with "e-pals" who live there. We would like to find someone who may have a telephone book that they could mail to us. They could use one of those Priority Envelopes, and we would pay for postage. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times
I don't live in Lubbock, but used to live a little South of Lubbock. The town I lived in had very little retail so it was crucial for survival to go to Lubbock for shopping, medical, and other purposes. I now live in San Antonio for college. I have not found many people on this forum from Lubbock, or the nearby region. In comparison to other metros across the state, Lubbock is very small. I do visit Lubbock though if you have any particular questions.. I also have some friends (though they are not CD members) in Lubbock that I could put you into contact with.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
I recommend Lubbock if you are looking to get settled. That area has had a surge in population and economic growth in the last few years. I have faith you will like it there. The city has a good combination of big-city amenities with small-town charm.

Sorry, but I won't be able to get you a phone book, though. I'm sure there is a local outlet there where you can get one. Hope you enjoy your stay once you do get settled.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I have several phone books and can send one. You can PM me to give address. What brings your family here?

Have lived here for several years and like the area for the most part. Texas Tech is the main attraction for most people I imagine, or one of the large medical centers here. Think "ugly" about Lubbock. Is very flat, sits up on a plateau, very windy. No trees. Winters not too bad. We are very cold and windy today, possible snow. I think the economy is good, very friendly people, not sure about schools here, but you can probably find out from other people here in the area. There are other threads about Lubbock on CD. Best of luck!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:07 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have several phone books and can send one. You can PM me to give address. What brings your family here?

Have lived here for several years and like the area for the most part. Texas Tech is the main attraction for most people I imagine, or one of the large medical centers here. Think "ugly" about Lubbock. Is very flat, sits up on a plateau, very windy. No trees. Winters not too bad. We are very cold and windy today, possible snow. I think the economy is good, very friendly people, not sure about schools here, but you can probably find out from other people here in the area. There are other threads about Lubbock on CD. Best of luck!
No trees?? No problem. I'll see if I can connect with a trusted source and see about getting Lubbock a few trees. A little landscaping is good for the soul.

Also keeps those tumbleweeds away.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Lubbock is badly in need of a beautification project. Is such an ugly area, especially now with all the overpasses being built, ugh. The downtown is rundown and deserted, just wondering where is the pride? There has been alot of building near TTU, dorms and apartment buildings, but does not at all add to the landscape. They look very crowded and like they have just been put together overnight. Ugh.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,931 times
There was a country song years ago called, "Happiness is Lubbock, Texas in my Rearview Mirror." However, I have lots of relatives in Lubbock. True, it is flat, dry, and has some extreme weather, but the people are great, and it seems to be a good place to live.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
Lubbock is trying to improve downtown, but it will take time due to a large part of the population living way down southwest. The new overpasses are part of the new freeway which will connect the population with downtown.

No trees???? It's not a rain forest, but the city was designated as a "tree city" a few years back by a national organization due to ongoing planting projects.

Also, there are some encouraging aspects about the construction going on across from the campus, such as the landscaped wide sidewalks that can easily accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians. Plus if Tech is ever going to have 40,000 students the extra housing would be nice (fewer cars on campus).

Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,502 times
The few times I have been in Lubbock made me feel like I was going into a Western movie. I drove there from Wichita Falls, and you have alot of pretty caprock once you get west of Benjamin. As the other posters have noted, it is a sparsley vegetated area, but it isn't exactly treeless. If you like the variable weather aspects, especially in the winter, and don't mind the occasional raging dust storms that frequent the area in the spring and fall, Lubbock is a decent place to go.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:25 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times
I think landscaping is often left out because upkeep can be expensive in such a dry area. Lubbock is very limited in plants that are even able to grow in that climate and soil. Add to this the frequent dust storms and high winds... well you end up with an ugly picture. It kinda makes me gag.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock