Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times

Advertisements

I remember playing in cotton trailers when I was small of age and size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I remember playing in cotton trailers when I was small of age and size.
There are still many of those old trailers around. I can look out of this farm house to the south and see four of them that have been parked on the hill ever since we have been out here.

I once met the fellow who is credited for leading the development of cotton module technology on the private sector side. I believe much of the technology came out of the USDA, Agricultural Research Service working along with cotton producers.

Yep, I'm pretty mouldy myself.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 PM

751 posts, read 1,485,735 times
Quote:
Do they still use cotton strippers for harvesting?
Oh yeah, they sure do. I am a *LONG* way from even knowledgeable on the subject, but do know there used to be burr extractors on the strippers, to take the burrs out before the cotton even went to the module builder. I think this raises the quality of the cotton, but then again I don't really know.

Do know a fellow south of Lubbock used to take some jeans and stuff them into the side of a module, and hang boots off the end of them for Halloween. Made it look like someone got stuck in the module while it was building. Along the same lines as the car places that take a junker car and set it in their parking lot with a pair of jeans and shoes sticking out from under it.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM

Have Texas cotton farmers benefitted from the rain?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
Quote:
Have Texas cotton farmers benefitted from the rain?
They will if it quits raining in time for the harvest; more moisture during the growing season = more lint thus more bales ginned = more cotton on the market = lower prices.

Or too much moisture at the time of harvest = less bales at gin = less cotton on the market = higher prices.

There's more in those equations than I've shown but, to answer your question, not yet.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 AM

389 posts, read 1,658,262 times
My 2 cents worked in a cotton gin yrs. ago and liked it and for the area I lived at the time I would hate to see cotton production decline but due to water issues and the boll wevel I just don't know if will see cotton remain king on the south plains.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:17 PM

751 posts, read 1,485,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
My 2 cents worked in a cotton gin yrs. ago and liked it and for the area I lived at the time I would hate to see cotton production decline but due to water issues and the boll wevel I just don't know if will see cotton remain king on the south plains.

Water issues for sure, however there is a great deal of dry land cotton farming around the Lubbock area. The boll weevil situation is much improved though. I think there was only one zone in the entire state in 2014 that captured any boll weevils, and that was in the Lower Rio Grande valley. Thankfully a long way from Lubbock.

Cotton is still king around Lubbock.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Water issues for sure, however there is a great deal of dry land cotton farming around the Lubbock area. The boll weevil situation is much improved though. I think there was only one zone in the entire state in 2014 that captured any boll weevils, and that was in the Lower Rio Grande valley. Thankfully a long way from Lubbock.

Cotton is still king around Lubbock.
Cotton production is way down in Mississippi due to the high cost of growing it. Instead, farmers grow a lot more soybeans, corn, and rice. I guess South Plains farmers don't have as much choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock