Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,845 times

Advertisements

I have lived there and never had any trouble with anyone. What is strange and nobody seems to ever think its unusual or want to address the issue, but if you ever watch the Lubbock news it makes you wonder if you're watching news from the east side of L.A. or someplace like it. Whats up with all the serious crime? Something has to be pushing the crime in Lubbock and i would think it is probably drugs and poverty. Is there that much crack cocaine on the streets of Lubbock, can't the police dept. work with other agencies or something to try and clean up that town even a little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Lightbulb Breaking News

Hey, guys. Check this out: O'Reilly Auto Parts is putting a new distribution center in a fresh, new business park off Yucca Lane and I-27 in North Lubbock. It will be on the east side of the interstate once construction begins. Looks like about 2009 for completion. That means new jobs for Lubbock and new life for the city's north side, which is not much to look at right now. I found out browsing the Avalanche-Journal's web site. That's great news for Lubbock.
So what if the city is mostly conservative? Big deal. Lubbock is setting all-time records the last couple of years for new growth and there are bulldozers pushing dirt left and right throughout town. My previous paragraph might not sound like much, but for Lubbock, it's a pretty big deal. But I also believe this is ONLY the beginning, you guys. This city may be one or two real big corporations away from kissing the tumbleweeds goodbye.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falnlovewtx View Post
sorry but I don't understand this post..I'm also looking into Lubbock
Trust me on this, I've had friends that lived in Lubbock and while I've never lived there, my visits there have always been great and their experiences were good. You won't go wrong in that city. Now's the time to experience this place. The last few years have been the biggest growth years ever in Lubbock. You may be pleasantly surprised. Just imagine: Big city amenities, serene living.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,395 times
How often does it snow in lubbock

Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwright21 View Post
How often does it snow in lubbock
The average snowfall each winter is 10 inches, but some years, it doesn't snow at all, and other years, it's on the ground for a couple of weeks at a time. This winter, we had one ice storm with half an inch of ice cover, a white out last week that lasted two hours and dropped one inch of snow, and a few flurries every once and a while. This is a little less than normal; we normally get a couple of 6-inch snowfalls a year. The winters here can be very unpridictable and varied.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
We lived in Lubbock 6 years; lived in Amarillo 5 years (in East Texas now). If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Lubbock.....there is more to do for younger people, more culural activities because of the university, more good neighborhoods (i.e. safe, family friendly, pride in homes/yards), it's cleaner, the weather is not as harsh. There is also a more accepting attidue toward outsiders (also because of the university). There is also a greater variety of work opportunities (especially in the last 2-3 years).

Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
It's on the way to NM and Colorado, that's a good thing. And it's not too far from Dallas, right?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It's on the way to NM and Colorado, that's a good thing. And it's not too far from Dallas, right?
It depends on your definition of "not to far". We're a one hour flight to Dallas or 5 1/2 hour drive. We're 4 hours from the New Mexico mountains and 8 or so hours to the nearest Colorado mountains. Lubbock is isolated, but it just gives us a reason to get out more.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,372 times
People always say "there is nothing to do" what the hell do you want? The only bad thing about Lubbock is all the idiots that are born & raised in Lubbock that root for UT (funny i dont know of any people that root for A&M). They have no clue how ignorant they are. Texas Tech is a very good school that is consistently ranked on all kinds of "top this" list. But people always give it bad rap. Lubbock has everything you could want & more. Most people that have bad things to say about Lubbock are going on here say & I doubt that they have ever set foot in Lubbock. In the last 10 years Lubbock has grown leaps & bounds, great weather & public schools. Contrary to popular belief Lubbock has very few dust storms. Everywhere you go there is some kind of construction going on. There is no Raider Rash only urban legends and garbage brewed up by other places in Texas.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstexas View Post
I have lived there and never had any trouble with anyone. What is strange and nobody seems to ever think its unusual or want to address the issue, but if you ever watch the Lubbock news it makes you wonder if you're watching news from the east side of L.A. or someplace like it. Whats up with all the serious crime? Something has to be pushing the crime in Lubbock and i would think it is probably drugs and poverty. Is there that much crack cocaine on the streets of Lubbock, can't the police dept. work with other agencies or something to try and clean up that town even a little?
Lubbock has had an obsession with "law and order" since I lived there at the beginning of the 1970s. I can recall on Christmas Eve about 1972 seeing a couple of unmarked cop cars with police dogs in them going on an obvious raid and thinking to myself, "We have no Christmas in our heart for drug dealers!" Really, that's one aspect of the Hub. Back then they also changed the city police head gear from cowboy hats to these awful, fascist looking motorcycle helmets, not just for motorcycle cops - of which there were few - but also for the guys in patrol cars. Nixon was president then -- maybe that had something to do with the mass psychosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock