U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 47,841 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Houston, Midland, and Georgetown (condolences accepted, LOL) -- please, anyone who knows or cares to speculate, WHY is Lubbock showing so danged much crime, violent crime especially? That is SO different from Midland and even poor ol' El Paso -- I can't figure this out but have been eyeing Lubbock (more opportunity for my profession there), but don't want to move to a place where there's lots of petty crime and worse (got out of Las Cruces for that very reason, could not leave a car out or even a flowerpot out overnight, and in the nice sections, too...) -- any input appreciated, reading the Lubbock Avalanche but no help there yet in figuring it out... are the statistics deceiving??? Or is Lubbock gettin' evil?

Last edited by DustyRoses; 01-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Ah cain't spel. LOL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM

By the way wanted to throw in that Texas Tech is a safe campus, this is something going on in the city itself separate from the campus...

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,268,238 times
Well, when I lived in Hellaska, there was a lot of petty crime, burglary, destruction of property, etc. Occam's razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Part of it was that there was *nothing* to do, and an idle mind is the devil's workshop, so to speak. And another part of it was that it's a very poor state, and people have very little - coupled with the large incidence of alcoholism and drug addiction.

There might be good opportunities for you in Lubbock, professionally, but everyone else there might be challenged for finding work for one reason or another. My guess is that there are quite a few people who are underemployed or unemployed.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM

51,319 posts, read 44,604,946 times
Default Questions About Crime In The City

I'm sure it's just an anomaly in Lubbock. Every city goes through phases, and right now Lubbock is going through it. I'm sure things will change eventually. No matter what city you're in, you can't let your guard down anyway. But I'm sure this series of situations in Lubbock is just temporary. It's generally a safer city than most in Texas. Don't let news stories discourage you.

You're really going to like Lubbock if you plan on coming.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Thx

Thanks for the input, I do think anomaly might be the best way to put it, because in Midland there is even much much more LESS to do, so to speak, than in Lubbock and most people work at menial jobs here, due to nothing else but that, nursing, and oil (not everyone can do oilfield work and get the big bucks), but they don't have hardly any crime there among the old-timers tho the tide of the newcomers is changing that -- I really have LOVED Lubbock when visiting, I just love it and Tech is so underrated...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoses View Post
Thanks for the input, I do think anomaly might be the best way to put it, because in Midland there is even much much more LESS to do, so to speak, than in Lubbock and most people work at menial jobs here, due to nothing else but that, nursing, and oil (not everyone can do oilfield work and get the big bucks), but they don't have hardly any crime there among the old-timers tho the tide of the newcomers is changing that -- I really have LOVED Lubbock when visiting, I just love it and Tech is so underrated...
One more thing, Dusty. The Reese Technology Center is opening many doors for new job opportunities for many folks. Technology and research are going to be big business in Lubbock over the next few years. It's not just about oil and cotton anymore.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Thx, I am going to go read about the Reese Technology Center, that sounds very promising.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM

In case you haven't found one particular link, here's one that can help you.

Reese Technology Center

Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 35,961 times
Default Lubbock Crime

I grew up in Lubbock, and crime was never a problem for my family. My brother worked at a local convenience store and never even saw a suspicious person. Most crime, violent and non-violent, involves people already in criminal acts. Just stay away from the dark alleys like you know to do and crime will be the least of your worries.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,993,804 times
I have lived in Lubbbock.......never felt unsafe there. If you check with the PD, I think you'll find that most of the crime is in within one zipcode of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock