U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 AM

3,920 posts, read 7,219,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
There has been an interest in downtown revitalization and increased mass transit since I first went to work in several major cities 35 years ago. I don't see the interest in downtown revitalization per capita either increasing or declining. However, based on the people posting on C-D and planning to move to Texas, most seem to still be seeking the same as I and my then young co-workers sought, i.e., to live within commuting distance of the large city where we worked but not deep inside it. This is not to say people tied to a large city culturally by living in the area are not willing to pay increased taxes to keep their downtown areas alive. Many are and do now for Lubbock although the city as a whole is continuing to fast move west and southwest.

America is definitely growing older, much like Europe. What this means for living trends and interests, I would not try to guess because I dislike grouping people by age and generations. I only know how age and working in large cities changed me.

BTW, my old professors used to tell me often that biology was "where it was happening."
Well 35-years-ago was the height of inner city decay in the US...

I will say that living in central Austin and seeing it change on a weekly/monthly basis, with similar things happening in every city I've been in recently (Houston, LA, Seattle, Denver), it's hard to ignore the trend. Dense mixed-use developments are even transforming Lubbock like with Overton Park. It's not an interest; it's happening. America is realizing that cars are no reason to abandon the 4,000-year-old model of urban development.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 AM

2,843 posts, read 4,694,867 times
I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Lubbock but the fact that they're even planning on a revitalization effort is nothing but a good thing. Houston's has been in the planning for years and it seems to be finally paying off.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Status: "Are you as ready for spring as I am?" (set 12 days ago)

50,471 posts, read 40,599,057 times
Lubbock is making plans for its downtown, but they need to do a lot more. Much more. When your tallest building resembles a pillar in a north-south perspective, something's wrong. Now, for years, Lubbock hadn't really had any kind of vision for the community, and only in recent years have efforts been made by local folks, specifically by the McDougal people.

We've seen progress in the Overton area in the last ten years (Remember what a dump that used to be?). They turned dog poop into gold, and I believe the same can happen in Downtown Lubbock. A new performing arts center is on the way, as is a new college baseball museum. They've still got the strip on Buddy Holly Avenue. Bart Reagor has a project going up near Avenue L and Broadway. The areas south of 13th and north of 17th near Avenue L need fixing up. There's incredible potential for some mid-rises and other things up to 40 stories that could be done in those areas. And a tall building is economical as far as the number of square feet go. You can still have lines of ground level space with good pedestrian thruways also. They can actually use Abilene as a model, as that city somehow has a more defined downtown district than Lubbock has.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:08 AM

232 posts, read 315,267 times
I just Googled Downtown Lubbock Redevelopment and came across a monorail(?: or rail) system proposed for Lubbock around 2014, has there been any updates on this?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Here's some of the latest and greatest. It's from January, but this is what's happening.

Downtown Lubbock redevelopment: A plan being executed, slowly but surely | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I just Googled Downtown Lubbock Redevelopment and came across a monorail(?: or rail) system proposed for Lubbock around 2014, has there been any updates on this?
Right now, it's no more than a proposal. Nothing's been finalized.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 3,376,259 times
Here's a follow-up article from May:

Gateways, utilities, light rail? McDougal says downtown coming to fruition | Lubbock Online Mobile Edition

As the article states, McDougal felt optimistic that new construction would be announced, soon. We'll see.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Here's a follow-up article from May:

Gateways, utilities, light rail? McDougal says downtown coming to fruition | Lubbock Online Mobile Edition

As the article states, McDougal felt optimistic that new construction would be announced, soon. We'll see.
Well, he did say "soon". I'll be waiting for it.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM

231 posts, read 185,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Nothing new. Most innner cities/downtowns across America are being or already are vacated. In some cases, like Houston or Dallas, they may still have a lot of big buildings with lots of businesses in them, but not many people living there. I was in downtown Houston about 5 years ago for a convention. We got up Sunday morning and found we had to walk about a mile, just to find an open fast food restaurant for breakfast.
Not true about Dallas.
Lots of old high rises turned into apartments.
Lots of young people moving in.
The new Klyde Warren Park in the arts district is usually packed.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 AM

Not set in concrete or anything, but here's a conceptual design layout for Downtown Lubbock by the folks at Entelechy. This likely differs from plans set forth by the McDougal group.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...bock+model.jpg

Old 08-11-2015, 06:25 PM

437 posts, read 817,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Not set in concrete or anything, but here's a conceptual design layout for Downtown Lubbock by the folks at Entelechy. This likely differs from plans set forth by the McDougal group.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...bock+model.jpg
This is cool. Wonder who the baseball field is for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock