Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

I live in Howard County Texas. I live on a half acre lot that has a huge WorkShop that sits on my property. The property next to my shop is a store with two separate apartments above it. For over a year now, renters have come and gone from the apartments. Each time a new renter moves in they seem to have this misguided idea that my shop and the land in front of it is free rein. I have repeatedly spoken to the owner of the property about this. I've told him they are renting your property not mine. It is your responsibility as the "owner" to inform them where they may and may not park. Here we go again. This new tenant parks directly in front of the opening (garage door) to my shop. I asked him to move his truck and explained that he is on my private property. He was polite and moved his sister (whom is the renter) was extremely rude. What can I legally do to stop this from happening? Any ideas? I am going to (asap) put up some tall fencing all the way down my shop driveway to block it off. For now, I am unable to afford that. Can I legally have the automobile towed at owners expense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFrogAnn View Post
Can I legally have the automobile towed at owners expense?
Yes you can. Might help to put up a sign "Unauthorized vehicles will be towed at owners expense".

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM

268 posts, read 290,238 times
Present them with a document carefully explaining the situation, with a map of the properties and where they *can't* park; be nice if it came from a law office by registered mail with a copy sent to the property owner. Include the name and phone number of the towing service, with which you should make advanced arrangements. Have the document notorized (signed, stamped, with a couple of witnesses).

This sort of thing is serious and sometimes results in shooting wars. If you do encounter legal problems this document will cover it, as long as you're the injured party.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Post signs, "Private Property, No Trespassing."

Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Put up a fence.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:26 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
For the present, run an electric fence down the property line. Go to your local TSC and get a cheap charger, the posts/wire and insulators. Very inexpensive and very easy to do. You can make it one wire or two and hang some private property signs on the wire.

This should suffice until you are prepared to put up a permanent fence. Have you spoken to your neighbor (owner) about splitting cost of a fence? Since this has been a recurring problem, maybe he would be willing to share the expense. I would imagine if you decided to have his renters cars towed and if you called him often enough each time the offense happened and his renters complained to him about the fact their car was towed, he might be more than happy to help resolve the problem.

In the meantime, check out the electric fence.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Not an electric fence. Possible legal issues. But an inexpensive CL fence along the property line, 2" off the property line so the other Property Owner doesn't have to agree, along with 'No Trespassing' and 'Unauthorized vehicles will be towed' signs. Make an agreement with a local towing company and they will put up the signs along with the required contact numbers to get their cars back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: