Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:59 AM

348 posts, read 830,297 times

Advertisements

The earthquakes are very small and are not a big concern. They have not been happening around Lubbock, but in the DFW region. I've experienced two. The first was very small; it felt like a heavy door being slammed nearby, and sounded about like a heavy rock had been dropped on concrete. The second was bigger, about 4 points. The floor shook for a couple of seconds and it was over. There has been some minor damage, but only near the centers of the biggest quakes, not frequent or widespread.

The Balcones Fault is very unlikely to become active. The quakes around here are related to the mineral production. Such small quakes can happen anywhere in the world at any time. They happen more often because of the gas production activity, probably mostly due to the injection wells. There's always pressure at a fault (and faults are everywhere), so when you mess with things (crack rocks, inject lubricating fluids, etc.) the pressure will be more likely to be released. I compare it to a book that's hanging over the edge of a table, just short of falling. A small amount of pressure will cause the book to fall. The impact of the book hitting the floor is much bigger than the small push needed to make it fall. Many faults are near the point of moving, and are pushed over the edge by applications of relatively small forces.

There are places with no history of earthquakes where they became common after the gas activity started. There are places that have always had rare earthquakes where the activity is now thousands of times more frequent. The only reason to deny the obvious conclusion is to defend the gas production, which I think is unwarranted. The gas production does a lot of good, and even having experienced a couple of quakes I don't think it's reason to stop the production activity. They could perhaps improve some practices, such as not putting injection wells right along known faults (that happened once and it set off a series of quakes), but I see no reason to go into a panic and stop all of the production.

Again, this doesn't affect the Lubbock area at all. Also, the Caprock Escarpment is erosional, not tectonic. The escarpment formed because the land east of it was washed away, not because of one side moving up over the other, which is how the Balcones formed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's scary. It goes along I-35 all the way to San Antonio, the same one that created the Hill Country. I would not want to live in DFW, Waco, Austin, or S.A. if that fault becomes active. It's like our version of the San Andreas!
And goes all the way up to Sherman.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM

268 posts, read 290,098 times
The New Madrid is, I think, the biggest concern. No idea if it would directly hit in Lubbock:

Will The Coming New Madrid Earthquake Split The United States In Two? | JEWSNEWS

Old 05-08-2015, 04:22 AM

4 point is Dallas area last night, not a small one.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
4 point?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
4 point?
Yes, that's what it said on the news:

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...th-texas.html/

4.0 is what is reported. What are you rolling your eyes about? I said "the Dallas area."

Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
We had a four-pointer. It shook for several seconds and sounded like rolling thunder. It caused some damage to poorly built structures near the center. It was my third earthquake. A lot of people didn't notice earlier ones, including me; I've missed a lot of them. This one was hard not to notice. It woke people up and got a lot of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock