U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: El Paso vs. Lubbock Which City is Better
El Paso 35 56.45%
Lubbock 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 AM

266 posts, read 248,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clientred View Post
I heard (and anyone who knows more about this can correct me) that Lubbock was in a dry county until very recently. Meaning that you had to drive out side county to buy alcohol of any kind. Lubbock isn't a small town by any means but a small city that is growing.
Used to be that the city was dry but the county was wet, and you just had to go to the city limits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:45 PM

200 posts, read 299,363 times
Quote:
Having been to both places Lubbock defiantly is cleaner but it is much smaller. There definitely is a more developed medical district in Lubbock compared to El Paso as mentioned by other posters but EP is improving in this area, ironically with the help of Texas Tech. Being a smaller community Lubbock is definitely more conservative.

I heard (and anyone who knows more about this can correct me) that Lubbock was in a dry county until very recently. Meaning that you had to drive out side county to buy alcohol of any kind. Lubbock isn't a small town by any means but a small city that is growing.

El Paso on the other hand is less invasive in certain areas that might seem taboo in a place like Lubbock; but that doesn't mean that El Paso is a liberal paradise like Austin or San Francisco. Overall I think there is more to do in El Paso like EP Street fest, Sun City Music Festival, Neon Desert, and even more shopping destinations. Lubbock Has Texas Tech Athletics but not everyone is a sports fan.

In terms of eateries EP offers more variety as well even though as mentioned by another poster Lubbock has better BBQ. To me Lubbock having better BBQ is like saying El Paso has better Mexican food, both statements are probably true but there is world out side Texas barbeque and Mexican cuisine and EP probably takes that one.

In the end it seems that El Paso is a more cosmopolitan place, despite the fact that El Paso is 80% Mexican-American. This may seem like a oxymoronic idea to some, but overall it seems people in El Paso are more open to things than people in Lubbock. That doesn't mean that I think El Paso is the most cosmopolitan or even progressive place in Texas, but in comparison with other smaller, bible belt cities in West Texas like Midland,Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo it definitely is to me.

If you are looking for a cosy, conservative city with a true small town atmosphere then I think Lubbock is the place for you.

If you are looking for a place that actually feels more like a city and doesn't have that Texas-southern Feel to it then I think El Paso is what you are looking for.

For the record I am from El Paso, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am trying to be objective, but we're all alittle bias. I'm sure that if you ask someone from Lubbock about comparing the two cities that person can give many examples about why I am wrong but that is my two cents.
You might be right about the people being more open to things in El Paso. Maybe it's just me who thinks it's really cliquish. Also, we get invited to more places and parties in Lubbock. But yea, it's a boring city with nothing to do. The only cool thing is Texas Tech. The mall is more on the low end. However, Lubbock has better eateries that El Paso is now barely getting. I've talked to many people and they all prefer El Paso over Lubbock.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:31 AM

26 posts, read 29,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
You might be right about the people being more open to things in El Paso. Maybe it's just me who thinks it's really cliquish. Also, we get invited to more places and parties in Lubbock. But yea, it's a boring city with nothing to do. The only cool thing is Texas Tech. The mall is more on the low end. However, Lubbock has better eateries that El Paso is now barely getting. I've talked to many people and they all prefer El Paso over Lubbock.

Ya your probably right about Lubbock having more chain restaurants. I haven't been to Lubbock in sometime but I will take your word for it.

To me, when I think of El Paso eateries I'm thinking of local places like Cafe Central, Mesa Street Bar and Grill, Hoppy Monk, Crave, Japanese Crepe House, Cattleman's, etc. I'm sure Lubbock has plenty of local places too but EP has more and they're not all Mexican places.

Also I think that many people from outside El Paso usually stick to chain restaurants when they're in town because of everything that is right off of I-10. If people would go down Mesa or Zaragoza for example, they would find that the area has plenty of good local places to grab a bit to eat.

If your a Chain FOODIE then by all means go Lubbock!!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 PM

11 posts, read 120,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
Used to be that the city was dry but the county was wet, and you just had to go to the city limits.
In city limits you could buy alcohol by the drink (e.g. margarita or beer at a restaurant). You could not buy packaged alcohol.

Outside city limits, still within Lubbock County, it was reversed. You could buy packaged alcohol but not by the drink. Well, you could buy it by the drink at private clubs where you were a member. My wife (then girlfriend) and I went to a place just to eat dinner and they made us join the club to buy margaritas.

So happy the ballot initiative liberalized alcohol sales. It was after we had already moved away. Recently we moved back and the liquor stores in city limits are still a novelty.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:06 PM

2,111 posts, read 3,369,452 times
Quote:
If your a Chain FOODIE then by all means go Lubbock!!
Was just in El Paso...as I entered the area from NM, I noticed a billboard bragging about four new chain restaurants, either on the way or already there.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM

But seriously, El Paso wins the vote for the worst and rudest city in the entire state of Texas and possibly in the entire South and Southwest. The only other bad places I've really seen are Charleston and Savannah, but hands down, I would say El Paso is the worst. No where else will you see a huge factory in the middle of a city beside a mall. And no where else will you see so much rudeness. I prefer Lubbock and Texas Tech. I've even thought lately about relocating to Lubbock.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM

26,529 posts, read 45,276,932 times
Quote:
But seriously, El Paso wins the vote for the worst and rudest city in the entire state of Texas
Do you have a real verifiable reference for that?

Quote:
I prefer Lubbock and Texas Tech. I've even thought lately about relocating to Lubbock.
So go to Lubbock... In spite of what you poll says...

I've been to both El Paso and Lubbock over the years. Was in Lubbock twice last August. It's a five hour drive from my house. I just prefer El Paso... El Paso is better for me.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:03 PM

3,715 posts, read 2,862,526 times
I think El Paso would be way more culture shock than what Lubbock would be. However, because of the different culture to what I am use to, I do believe I would choose to live in El Paso rather than Lubbobk. If the culture shock became to much for me, then I'd pack my bag and move to Lubbock.

No slight or disrespect to Lubbock, but it feels pretty generic to me. Not a whole lot different from just about any other city in the Southern or Midwestern parts of the United States in the 100,000 to 250,000 population range and a large public supported university.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think El Paso would be way more culture shock than what Lubbock would be. However, because of the different culture to what I am use to, I do believe I would choose to live in El Paso rather than Lubbobk. If the culture shock became to much for me, then I'd pack my bag and move to Lubbock.

No slight or disrespect to Lubbock, but it feels pretty generic to me. Not a whole lot different from just about any other city in the Southern or Midwestern parts of the United States in the 100,000 to 250,000 population range and a large public supported university.
Well, I wrote this back in the summer. And thinking about it, there is more to do in El Paso than in Lubbock. But Texas Tech is better than UTEP. But Lubbock as a city is kinda lame. My friend has mentioned that Lubbock is worse than El Paso, but it's true that both cities are at the same level. There is nothing special about El Paso or Lubbock. Now Phoenix on the other hand is on a much higher level. So is Tucson.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM

26,529 posts, read 45,276,932 times
Quote:
But seriously, El Paso wins the vote for the worst and rudest city in the entire state of Texas and possibly in the entire South and Southwest. The only other bad places I've really seen are Charleston and Savannah, but hands down, I would say El Paso is the worst. No where else will you see a huge factory in the middle of a city beside a mall. And no where else will you see so much rudeness. I prefer Lubbock and Texas Tech. I've even thought lately about relocating to Lubbock.

AirportFan, Where is this vote?

From: https://www.guidelive.com/questionab...leisure-survey
Quote:
Dallas was voted the rudest city in Texas in a recent poll by Travel and Leisure magazine, staking claim as the No. 8 ill-tempered metro in America behind Boston, Salt Lake City, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New York City, Phoenix and Miami. Miami took tops honors as the country's rudest city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock