Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 04:58 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few references now to Lubbock not being a strong city for barbecue, compared to Texas generally. I don't have much experience with barbecue myself, so I am not sure how I would even judge it (aside from what I like or don't like). Based on the descriptions I've read, I think I would probably prefer Central Texas style barbecue.

In terms of restaurants, what types of foods (other than generic fast food) does Lubbock have the best selection of? Would you say it's a toss-up between Mexican and steak restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 06:55 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I have seen a few references now to Lubbock not being a strong city for barbecue, compared to Texas generally. I don't have much experience with barbecue myself, so I am not sure how I would even judge it (aside from what I like or don't like). Based on the descriptions I've read, I think I would probably prefer Central Texas style barbecue.
Before you start making two topics for this thread, let's first focus on your initial take. Whatever references you've read may have applied to Lubbock fifteen to twenty years ago. This city has changed dramatically in the last several years, and more entrepreneurs have made their presences known in the area. Out of all the cities in West Texas and the Panhandle alone, Lubbock is actually a strong city/area for barbecue as of 2022. They can leave Amarillo, Midland, and El Paso in the West Texas dust. You've got some big players in Lubbock. Four of their biggest players have been new in the last few years, but that's a good thing. Evie Mae's in Wolfforth has been in some of Texas' top magazines and is tops around this area. Hill BBQ is currently in a food truck in South Lubbock, but is already getting good reviews by folks. And then, there's The Shack in the northwest side and E&J Smokehouse up north. As for the long-timers, J&M is one of the better-rated in town, but the ribs are just okay compared to their other smoked meats. And I've never been enamored with Bigham's. Furthermore, even though Rudy's is a chain, it's been well-received by patrons in the Hub City.

So, I can make a strong case for Lubbock being a strong 'cue town right now. Those first four I mentioned are heading a lot of people's lists.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Evie Mae's in Wolfforth has been in some of Texas' top magazines and is tops around this area. Hill BBQ is currently in a food truck in South Lubbock, but is already getting good reviews by folks. And then, there's The Shack in the northwest side and E&J Smokehouse up north. As for the long-timers, J&M is one of the better-rated in town, but the ribs are just okay compared to their other smoked meats. And I've never been enamored with Bigham's. Furthermore, even though Rudy's is a chain, it's been well-received by patrons in the Hub City.
I am going to try to get to Hill BBQ sometime. And I see they have bought the Yellow House and are now serving coffee, etc. there.

I probably should have started a separate thread about Lubbock's strength in different cuisines. Maybe I will still do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock