Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an INTERNAL MEDICINE doctor who believes that a person can be fat and healthy. A fat-friendly doctor.

If you are interested in why I'm looking for a fat-friendly doctor, read on. The reason why isn't really important (skip to TL;DR at the bottom if you don't want to read it), but I know if I don't explain, I'm going to get more ignorant replies than I care to sift through.

My husband is overweight according to BMI, but has been "overweight" since middle school, despite looking like a string bean. Just to give you an idea: an Air Force recruiter that visited his high school guessed he weighed 180 lbs but his weight at the time was 240 lbs. He looked like any average teenager at time - perhaps even a little too thin for his tall frame.

His current doctor has a problem with his weight and keeps suggesting that he cut his caloric intake to 1200 calories a day to lose weight. That's less than half of what is recommended for him to simply maintain his weight, which deeply concerns me. The doctor also wants him to drop his weight to 150 lbs. That's less than I weigh - I'm almost an entire foot shorter - and 150 lbs would be closer to what he weighed in middle school (again... string bean kid!), so that sounds grossly unhealthy.

He didn't go to a doctor for the longest time because, despite his frame looking perfectly normal and having completely normal labs, they keep suggesting weight loss for no other reason than his high BMI. I want him to feel comfortable at the doctor's office, but most of all I want him to receive care that is evidence-based and recognizes that individuals need personalized treatment and care. His labs are 100% normal at every visit. His activity level is moderate; he is on his feet for half the day several times a week, and gets in a decent amount of walking on the other days. The nutritionist had very few suggestions for improvement in his diet because he already eats quite well, and only consumes 1500-1800 calories a day according to the detailed food log he keeps. That is already well below the 2300-2500 calorie recommendation for his age/weight. It's left us both asking, "What do they want you to do, quit your job to work out and only eat kid-sized meals? Sever a limb to drop the weight, perhaps?" Because, seriously, he's already doing the "right" things, and that is reflected in his good health. There is literally no reason to demand the kind of weight loss his doctor is insisting upon.

TL;DR His doctor cannot point to a single thing that would indicate he needs to lose weight, except the number on the scale, and I believe her inability to look past his weight is negatively affecting the medical care he receives. So, Lubbock denizens - do you know of a doctor of INTERNAL MEDICINE who would put my husband's health first, instead of his weight? I'm specifically asking for an internist because he has a family history of genetic kidney disease, which means that he keeps an internist as his primary physician as a precaution.

Those of you who have negative messages about fatness and/or weight need not reply. If you read everything above and still want to fat-shame, do it somewhere else. If you read above, you'd know that there is absolutely no reason to suggest my husband lose weight. More broadly, though, there is a wealth of research done in the past 10 years that casts doubt on the effectiveness of dieting and weight loss programs; suggests that activity level is a much more accurate predictor of health risks than weight or BMI; and clearly highlights how fat people often don't receive adequate, accurate, and appropriate medical care because of the assumptions medical professionals make about their health (even when those assumptions are not supported by the patient's medical records).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: