U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 AM

20 posts, read 54,432 times

Advertisements

So me and my husband are relocating to lubbock from south Florida in a month. What should we expect? I have done research but I feel it would be best to hear from some individuals aswell. Any information or tips would be appreciated thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM

4,431 posts, read 7,562,922 times
Is there any specific information you want? Coming from South Florida, expect much less humidity, much colder winters, much fewer people, much fewer trees, no beaches (apart from the stretch of sand on Buffalo Springs Lake), less entertainment, much more conservatism and religiosity, most White people to be WASPs, and most Hispanic people to be of Mexican descent, and a lower cost of living.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 AM

We are ready for a change I have been in florida my entire life and a road trip our west I was sold. What's the job market like he does all kinds of construction but cabinet installer is the main type. And I have a cj degree? And we have been looking at towns off of lubbock like slaton Levelland etc are they out in the boonies or a opproriate distance from civilization?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Westerner92 is correct in these areas. There is a lot of construction in Lubbock right now so the job market should be good. The LPD is always looking for good people. Be ready for those 100* days with no humidity. There are lots of small farming towns but you may still have to come to Lubbock for work.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:38 PM

4,431 posts, read 7,562,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark1372 View Post
We are ready for a change I have been in florida my entire life and a road trip our west I was sold. What's the job market like he does all kinds of construction but cabinet installer is the main type. And I have a cj degree? And we have been looking at towns off of lubbock like slaton Levelland etc are they out in the boonies or a opproriate distance from civilization?
Yeah, Lubbock isn't a half-bad place for either of those markets. It has a healthy construction sector since it's growing at a good clip, and LPD has been hiring for as long as I can remember.

What do you consider an appropriate distance from civilization? Both Levelland and Slaton have restaurants and a grocery store or two, and they're 30 minutes out from the retail and entertainment Lubbock has to offer. If I had to pick a small town outside of Lubbock, I might go with Shallowater.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 AM

We have been looking slaton actually but finding rentals other then apartments is crazyiness

Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM

437 posts, read 837,718 times
Welcome to Lubbock! We just moved to Lubbock in May and we are LOVING it! Of course, we previously lived in West Texas, which is a very different situation than yours. If you're set on living in one of the outlying towns, you should look into Idalou, Shallowater or Wolfforth. I personally would prefer any of those to Slaton. Do you have children? Will school districts be an issue for you?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Thanks we can't wait. We have three boys 8-12 I couldn't really find info on districts down here its all pretty much the same unless you want charter schools.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:32 PM

437 posts, read 837,718 times
Just be aware there are huge differences in public school districts here, due to the fact that they are primarily funded by ad valorem property taxes from within the district. Be sure and do your homework on the school district when considering where to live and especially if you think you might buy a home, as it will definitely affect your property values. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM

14,354 posts, read 18,805,577 times
You can expect no income taxes but higher property taxes. Western Texas counties have some of the highest county property tax rates in Texas since we have fewer tax bases and even fewer taxpayers.

What can you expect different from South Florida? There will certainly be no alligators lounging alongside the highways but, outside of Lubbock, you will see thousands of acres of short grass prairies and its associated wildlife and lots of cotton and grain fields. The clear night skies can be amazing. Vistas can go to a vanishing point on a horizon some 35 miles away and sunsets and sunrises can rival in beauty all others. The sun shines a lot out here and it comes up early and stays late. You can also expect MUCH less humidity than in south Florida. Right now it's 1:50 pm and the outside humidity is 25%.

For reference, I've only worked in south Florida once in the 1980s. My wife is originally from a small town northwest of Lubbock which is why I came back to the Texas South Plains (good memories). I am originally from deep eastern Texas. My wife and I now own a small 20-acre retirement farm northeast of Lubbock in the edge of Hale County.

Lubbock is not much different than most cities of its size. The streets pretty much run north to south and east to west and addresses are simple to find. Outside of Lubbock, you will quickly learn to drive using directions like "turn west" or turn south." Outside of the towns, there are extremely few rivers, streams or canyons that offer obstacles to road building so most highways are pretty straight and easy to understand.

My guess is that you will find what you expect to find but it sounds like you have a very good attitude. It has always been my contention that the South Plains of New Mexico and Texas have some of the best people on Earth.

Welcome to the Texas South Plains and best of luck. Be safe in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock