Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM

27 posts, read 106,218 times

Advertisements

All funny comments abover besides the 100 year anniversary.-WOW...how.......fun. Lubbock is "kind of conservative"???? Are you kidding? Also, look at the latest Men's Health issue, they got rated as having the worst teeth in America, the water there is down right aweful! And United grocery sucks, really expensive and lack of options, besides the one of 50th street. have you people ever heard of H-E-B?? The food options are really lousy, unless you think Chili's is great, that is a big birth right place in Lubbock, they like salt. If one drinks imported beer, they are wierd, if one likes chinese foos that's not a buffet they are not American, you get the point. Trust me, the damn place is really closed minded and will never change. They truly enjoy being that way....ignorant for life baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:35 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,908 times
ignorance is bliss. at least they are happy in their narrow mindedness. lets give um some credit.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,427 times
I know the people from surrounding areas, including New Mexico, go to Lubbock for most of their serious medical care. You have to fight the wind four days out of five if you're having to make the trip for chemo.

Anyplace in that part of the states will have "the wind"...and you can't explain it...you have to experience it. I hated it growing up and I hate it still. The sand gets in your teeth, your eyes and any body crevices that are not COVERED! All you see between each town is red clay blowing across the highway. Don't even get me started about the water quality and taste... ICK!!!

Lubbock has its positives, I'm sure...but...not enough of 'em.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM

189 posts, read 629,052 times
Wow... what is this? Bash Lubbock week? If you only went there for college then I would say you were hardly there long enough to have a true opinion of Lubbock. College life is way different from life after college.

I hated Lubbock at first.... took me probably 3 years before I started to like it. (I lived there for 17yrs.) I had moved from San Antonio... so the scenery was a bit of a shock for me. (My dad's job transfered us there, so we weren't planning to live there.) Now I have a great appreciation for Lubbock.... you just have to see it for the beauty it is... and not compare it to south TX. It's too different. IMHO if everywhere looked like the same lush place full of trees... how boring would that be!!

The people in Lubbock were very friendly to me. When I was in college... I didn't really care to go out and meet the people around town. I just hung out with my college buddies who weren't from around there. (I went to college in Abilene.) So... I couldn't really say how the people in that town really were like. Lubbock is a great place to raise a family.

The wind can be overbearing at times... but the dirt in your mouth type of wind doesn't happen very often. I guess there are just pros and cons to wherever you live. Attitude plays a big part in where you live. If you go there with the "I'm gonna hate this place attitude... then you probably will... and the people there will pick up on that attitude."

Anyway.... for those of you considering Lubbock... you just need to visit and see for yourself. There are plenty of people who are happy to live in a town where the traffic is nonstressful and it takes... at the most... 20 min. to get any where around town.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM

Oh and about the United grocery stores... I'm assuming you (Rhino85) liked the 50th street one because it was a Market Street one. Now there are at least 2 or 3 more stores like it. One on the NW side of town and one on the SW side of town. Sounds like it has been a while since you (Rhino85) have been to Lubbock. There are LOTS of changes going on there.... things popping up everywhere around the NW and S sides of town. It amazes me everytime I visit (usually every 5/6 months) how much has changed since the last time I was there visiting.

And yes... I have shopped at HEB (when I lived in Abilene and San Antonio) and still prefer United. Wish we had those here. Oh well.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Default Come On Folks -- We're All Human

Folks, I think we've all made our points, and I'd much rather we all move on from the negative stuff. Those of you that have had bad experiences in Lubbock, I'm sorry. I've said before that not every city is for everybody. That's fine if you are happy where you are now. Those that were unhappy have moved on. That's great. There are others, however, who do like Lubbock, who enjoy it just fine and have had no problems while living or visiting there. Every city has its issues and quirks. I prefer to look for the positive things about cities and towns, particularly in the state in which I live. There are not many places in Texas that I don't like. Denton and Austin are great cities, too. And they've got strengths and weaknesses, too, like anyone else. If people want to move to a particular city, then I would encourage them to. Lubbock does have great things to offer like any other place. I don't see why not. Let's accept this and let's move on, guys.

Believe me, there's more than enough negativism. Try smiling a little bit. Life is good!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 PM

I found a fab pair of red shoes at Dillard's. In Lubbock. And the best Tres Leches cake in the entire WORLD is at Abuellos. In Lubbock. Texas. I must say...you can't beat the good lookin' cowboys in TEXAS...ANYWHERE in Texas!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I found a fab pair of red shoes at Dillard's. In Lubbock. And the best Tres Leches cake in the entire WORLD is at Abuellos. In Lubbock. Texas. I must say...you can't beat the good lookin' cowboys in TEXAS...ANYWHERE in Texas!!!
Ironically, that is where Abuelo's started, believe it or not. The very first one.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM

It was THE place my friend and I went after her chemo sessions...when she felt like it. The cake was awesome and she has the recipe. But you can't pull the atomosphere out of your oven, along with the cake. Those were good days....

where are the other abuelos???

Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Ooooo they were good... the best chimichangas and their potato side dish was yummy! I forgot about Abuelos... will have to eat there next time I am back in town.... thanks for reminding me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock