Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,010,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Ooooo they were good... the best chimichangas and their potato side dish was yummy! I forgot about Abuelos... will have to eat there next time I am back in town.... thanks for reminding me.
It's still there, pal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,648,278 times
I like Lubbock well enough, but may be moving further up the Panhandle, not definite yet. Am sad my sister visited, and refuses to come back! But they live in the nirvana of Oregon, so can't blame her.

And all the HEBs I have seen are really dirty. The MarketStreet Uniteds are usually kept clean, and there is much variety, especially like the health food section. There is a difference between people's dirt and dusty layer of dirt due to wind. Give me the windy dirt any day!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I like Lubbock well enough, but may be moving further up the Panhandle, not definite yet. Am sad my sister visited, and refuses to come back! But they live in the nirvana of Oregon, so can't blame her.

And all the HEBs I have seen are really dirty. The MarketStreet Uniteds are usually kept clean, and there is much variety, especially like the health food section. There is a difference between people's dirt and dusty layer of dirt due to wind. Give me the windy dirt any day!
With Albertson's shutting down their stores in Lubbock, that leaves only United, with Wal-Mart and Target as the only competitors. I think H-E-B would work in Lubbock. I believe the closest location is Midland, so you never know.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
With Albertson's shutting down their stores in Lubbock, that leaves only United, with Wal-Mart and Target as the only competitors. I think H-E-B would work in Lubbock. I believe the closest location is Midland, so you never know.
Yep....at this time, Midland-Odessa are as far west as HEB has gone at this point, and in the US, it is a Texas-only chain (also some in Mexico).

I REALLY miss HEB here.....and they told me that they have no plans to put one in EP at all. They were remodeling the one in Midland when I left, and I hear that it is really nice now....but I liked it a lot before, too. The one in Midland was very clean.

Albertson's, to me, is no great loss. The Midland stores were so grossly overpriced that I wondered how they stayed in business as long as they did.

They shut the ones here down also....so there is only Lowe's (the grocery store as well as the big hardware place) and a SuperWalmart.

So...I guess I'll have to save my trips to HEB/Central Market when I visit Sis in the Austin area.

Dang. Do I ever miss it.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times
Our HEB in Abilene is fairly new and very clean. I also had a negative feeling about HEB's because so many in San Antonio and Austin are older and seem dirty. But, overall, I think the quality of produce and meat exceeds our United's and Albertson's. Our HEB is a really nice store. United is second in my book with Ablertson's way on down the list.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Here's some more from Lubbock. Some views of the Marsha Sharp Freeway. Construction Project Images - Texas Tech University - Facilities Planning & Construction [ Lubbock, TX ]

Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM

27 posts, read 106,244 times
Okay, I will not stop my rant about Lubbock, because I really don't have to. We do all have our own opinions and I will continue to state mine. If all some of you can point out is my H-E-B plug, have at it. Some of you obviously have not been to the Central markets and regular H-E-B's in Austin. And by the way, I was just in Lubbock this past November as I stated earlier, so wow...they have a couple more grocery stores, coming up in this world. They are really over-priced was always my main problem with them. Back to the main point of this discussion....Lubbock. I had a very positive attitude/out look coming into Lubbock, yet that all changed after living there. How can one say going to college "is not the same as living there after"?? Are you serious?? That's my beef with some of the folks out there, they just don't get it. I think 3-4 years is plenty of time to see if you like somewhere or not. Funny how people come here and love it after 2 weeks. No one has yet to address the main issues I stated about Lubbock from the start, keep living in denial just like the current administration.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 AM

Default Every City Has Good And Bad -- Lubbock Is No Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino85 View Post
Okay, I will not stop my rant about Lubbock, because I really don't have to. We do all have our own opinions and I will continue to state mine. If all some of you can point out is my H-E-B plug, have at it. Some of you obviously have not been to the Central markets and regular H-E-B's in Austin. And by the way, I was just in Lubbock this past November as I stated earlier, so wow...they have a couple more grocery stores, coming up in this world. They are really over-priced was always my main problem with them. Back to the main point of this discussion....Lubbock. I had a very positive attitude/out look coming into Lubbock, yet that all changed after living there. How can one say going to college "is not the same as living there after"?? Are you serious?? That's my beef with some of the folks out there, they just don't get it. I think 3-4 years is plenty of time to see if you like somewhere or not. Funny how people come here and love it after 2 weeks. No one has yet to address the main issues I stated about Lubbock from the start, keep living in denial just like the current administration.

Rhino, my friend, I really am sorry that your experience in Lubbock was bad. Sometimes, things in life are like a card game and you occasionally get dealt a bad hand. Things like that happen. I like Austin, too. I don't care much for the liberal culture, but I'm not going to bash the city, either. I've got other things I like about Austin. Matter of fact, I'll be coming through there in a few days to go to San Antonio. I love traveling Texas, and I don't even live in Lubbock. You feel the way you do about Lubbock the same way I do about Euless (in the D/FW area), so I understand your situation. Lubbock and Austin do share this, though: Both are music cities. I don't know if you've gotten to go to any of the clubs in Lubbock while you were at Tech, but a lot of bands do play there. Lubbock has rock-n-roll roots and many artists (including country artists) got their start there. And I don't have to tell you about the music scene in Austin -- you already know. My experience in observing Lubbock is simply this: It's got tons of potential that, admittedly, many of its residents don't realize it has. The potential is there for it to be bigger than it is.

We've had other threads about Lubbock, many positive, some not. Like I've said previously, not every city is for everyone. Lubbock is about to undergo more and more growth and change as, believe it or not, more people are moving in, along with many businesses (yes, they have more than just Chili's). They're in the midst of their largest growth spurt ever. They've never experienced what they're experiencing now. I'm a Texas roads fanatic, and Lubbock is getting badly-needed new roads and freeways. They lack abundant interstate connections to the rest of the state, but hopefully, that will change. They'll probably grow more in the next twenty years than anyone else in West Texas except El Paso. Here's the scary part: They might eventually get some skyscrapers. As far as the people go, well, every city has something. I'm just sorry that you've been dealt a bad hand, and I'd wish we'd been there for you back in your Tech days. Yes, Lubbock's mostly conservative. That doesn't mean 100 percent of the population is going to be like that. I'm afraid I can't do anything about that, but as cities keep growing, you do get more diversity and a wider variety. That's where America is now. I've actually found Lubbock's people to be friendly there.

I like to look at it this way, rhino: You found a place where you're happy. That's what matters.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 AM

452 posts, read 1,724,038 times
I spent four months in '06, driving back and forth from Hobbs to Lubbock so my best friend could have chemo at a clinic in Lubbock. We got to see a lot of the construction on parts of what I guess is the freeway case44 posted earlier... and by the time we made the trip in '07, it was really on the way to completion. Those huge walls are unbelievable....a lot of work has gone into the parts we saw and the traffic congestion was not as bad as what we've had to put up with in Hot Springs. If I remember correctly, a new Target was open for bidness in that area, along with some other good places to check out. From what I saw, the Texas Highway Department does it right the first time...unlike the suits in Arkansas.

I have a cousin who met her husband at Texas Tech; they still live in Lubbock and say they'll never leave. My mother and step-dad lived there in the eighties. She was afraid to drive in the traffic, having lived for years in Hobbs...oddly enough, she ended up being in a bad car wreck after they moved back to Hobbs.

West Texas and that part of N Mex will always be special to me since I was born and raised there. My first husband and I lived on a farm outside of Seminole in the late sixties and I would have been THRILLED to live in Lubbock instead of on that farm as a young bride I think that was where the wind and sand did me in...but I was pregnant and alone much of the time.

ANYHOW...I suppose the happiest people in this old world are the ones who learn to bloom where they're planted.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
From what I saw, the Texas Highway Department does it right the first time...
Well, they have lately......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock