Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM

56 posts, read 80,185 times

Advertisements

Yes, coming from Ohio, you have nothing to worry about regarding winter weather. I moved from WI and the winters are not even comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 AM

31 posts, read 98,655 times
Default Retire to Lobbock, Texas

Hello,
we are from North of Ohio and tried Arizona, New Mexico and were not too much attracted.
Different aspects of living, climate, vegetation.
Somehow we are focusing now at Texas, west of Rt 35. We found Lubbock.
We also found there much less humidity here, nice summers and warm winter. It is not a big city but has many good living aspects. No tax for senior citizens, retirees. Real estate seems to be OK.

If someone could send some feedback on the groceries stores in the city and suburbs we would really appreciate.
We looked at Fort Worth and Amarillo. Amarillo is a little bid colder since is north.

Thanks for your words.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all.

Last edited by toosie; 11-21-2016 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Please don't sign your posts - TOS

Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalette View Post
If someone could send some feedback on the groceries stores in the city and suburbs we would really appreciate.
We looked at Fort Worth and Amarillo. Amarillo is a little bid colder since is north.

Thanks for your words.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all.

lasalette
Lasalette.

Do you know which side of Lubbock you have an interest in? Be aware that the older side of Lubbock lies east of Avenue Q (US 84). The southwestern "pie section" that exists west of US 84 (Avenue Q) and south of US 62 includes the newer parts of town with most of the newer growth outside of Loop 289. I call it the "Lubbock's Southwestern Lobe." My family owned a small brick home near Slide and 98th in the 1980s. At that time 98th Street was still unpaved with mostly open pastures to its south. That may give you an idea how fast the "Lobe" is growing.

There is, however, a lot of growth all over the west side of Lubbock, from I-27 in the south to east of US 84 at Shallowater in the north.

Regarding groceries, we maintain freezers here at the farm and buy in quantities when I can. I tend to shop inside Lubbock since our small farm is in the southern part of Hale County. I also use Plainview for shopping which is a few miles closer.

I have found the grocery stores in the smaller towns tend to be limited. However, I am only familiar with the larger United Groceries store at Muleshoe, a decent sized store, but which is some 70 miles north and west of Lubbock. The tiny grocery store we had here near our farm completely closed down a few years ago. All we have left locally is an Allsup convenience store which is good for emergency essentials like milk, eggs and bread.

I will see what I can find in the way of grocery stores if you can give me an idea what part of town you are looking at.

BTW, my wife and I are native Texans although my wife is the real native west Texan. I grew up in deep eastern Texas but fell in love with west Texas, and my wife, some 45 years ago. We still have a home at Albuquerque but hope to consolidate for retirement in Texas soon.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
United is the largest grocery chain with nine locations and has the same owners as Albertson's and Safeway. Others include Lowe's Market, Costco, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and Sprout's.

Might have missed a few.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 PM

31 posts, read 98,655 times
Thank you for your thoughts.
We are from Ohio and explore the possibility of retiring to Lubbock because of its low humidity, mild winter and not so hot summers.
I am not sure if they have Aldi store there or any other type of grocery stores beside Wall-Mart or Sam's Club?
We intend to look for some suburbs but not too far from hospitals, churches and stores.

we thank you for your time

Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
No Aldi or Trader Joe's, but it does have United Supermarkets, Costco, Lowe's Market, and Sprouts Organic, among others.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,452 times
Default Possible Move - Need to know more about Lubbock

Hi all,
Our family is considering a move to Lubbock. We've always lived in either the southwest or Midwest, so while we haven't had our feet on the street yet in Lubbock, we think we may have a fair understanding of the general culture. What's the culture like on Lubbock? The move would be for a job for me. Hubby would need to find replacement employment. How are the employment opportunities? His background is general management. Best neighborhoods and elementary schools? Public v. Private? Thank you for any and all advise and insight!

Old 11-27-2016, 12:57 PM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
Glad you're considering Lubbock! My family and I moved here earlier this year and have been very happy with our decision. Granted, we are from Texas originally, so the change was not nearly as major for us as it will be for you. But I think it's a wonderful place to raise children.
People here are very friendly and the unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the country. Although somewhat geographically isolated, everything we want or need is right here. There are lots of activities for families, as well as restaurants and entertainment options. We live in the southwest area of town and I believe it's the nicest. I've read that crime rates are high, but it seems to be generally contained in pockets, primarily in the eastern side of the city. We have not experienced any issues with that. Lubbock is the major medical center of the region and we've been pleased with our new providers.
The cost of living is low. Although the city is growing rapidly, there are no traffic issues. I think city planners have stayed ahead of the curve in that regard. The surrounding landscape is not much to look at- mostly flat cotton fields. But the city itself is clean and nicely landscaped with many public parks. And the sunsets are amazing! As far as elementary schools, any of the schools in the Cooper or Frenship districts are good options. I also hear very good things about Honey, Whiteside and Smith in the actual Lubbock school district. Sorry, but I don't know too much about the private schools in town, but have met people with kids in the Trinity and All Saints Christian schools that are very happy with those. What field would your new job be in?

Last edited by rr2005; 11-27-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock