U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,729 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would kindly ask anyone to send me their thoughts on the climate (summers, winters and humidity) and the living in Lubbock Texas. We are thinking to relocate there as we are close to retirement and coming from the north of Ohio.
We did a lot research but we would like to hear from people who live there.
We would like to know if there are groceries stores beside Wal-Mart, Sam's' Club or Albertsons. I am not sure if there is an Aldi store.
What suburbs are ok to look for houses or rent?
We really appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by toosie; 11-15-2016 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Deleted signature - not permitted
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:52 PM

22,339 posts, read 6,075,859 times
Lubbock has cool to cold winters that can be very windy.Lubbock gets snow and/or ice storms.There is little humidity.I think summers average in the low 90's for the highs.The Hub City is very friendly and has a low cost of living.I think Lubbock may have United but they merged with Albertsons.I dont know if LBK has HEB.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Status: "Got my first COVID vaccine shot." (set 5 days ago)

50,379 posts, read 40,453,156 times
You can actually live in the city of Lubbock, as Wolfforth, Shallowater, and Woodrow are really small suburbs with rural living. The south, southwest, and northwest sides will offer you some fine neighborhoods. Amenities are plentiful and closeby. You won't have a shortage of eating places around town. If you're looking for groceries, then United and Lowe's will have you covered; plus, United runs the Market Street franchise if you want even bigger selections. The area has cold winters, mild spring and fall, and hot summers. What you'll need to get used to is that many days will have a 40-degree temperature extreme between high and low. It is not unusual to be needing a jacket or a coat in the morning and a T-shirt in the afternoon.

Come on over!!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:24 AM

2,110 posts, read 3,367,354 times
Lubbock also has Costco and Sprouts.

There are plans for a $140 million+ performing arts center, an adventure park (w/ miniature golf, zip lines, bumper cars, etc.), and an aquarium. The adventure park is supposed to open next fall or winter. On 11/6, I saw a construction sign up for the performing arts center, but didn't see any equipment. The article in the second link below said that it could take 2 1/2 years to complete, once construction starts.

The Buddy Holly Hall of Performing Arts and Sciences - LEPAA

Buddy Holly Hall "On Track" to Meet Deadline Despite

https://archpaper.com/2016/09/buddy-...lery-0-slide-6

Old 11-16-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Alexius Comnenus

Hi,
thank you for the information on Lubbock.
We will visit with hope this place. The only think we are not sure is the winters. I read that the winters may be cool to cold. Is this seasonable or can happen as anywhere else?

It seems the weather in Lubbock is not so cold like in Amarillo.

Last edited by toosie; 11-17-2016 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: deleted signature

Old 11-16-2016, 05:42 PM

Default Alexius

Hi,
we thank you for the precious information on Lubbock.
We researched many maps and data but we did not find that is cold there. We saw that it can go to 30 or so but is not humid and gets to higher temperature in a matter of hours or so.

Last edited by toosie; 11-17-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 76,394 times
Default Lubbock, Texas

We would like to know how is the winter in Lubbock Texas?
Some people say the winters can be cool to cold. What that means?
We understand its dry and the summers are not so hot as Arizona.

We would appreciate some comments.

Last edited by toosie; 11-17-2016 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: deleted signature - not permitted

Old 11-17-2016, 06:13 PM

13,183 posts, read 18,062,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalette View Post
We would like to know how is the winter in Lubbock Texas?
Some people say the winters can be cool to cold. What that means?
We understand its dry and the summers are not so hot as Arizona.

We would appreciate some comments.
Let me just say, the worse possible job in the world would be to be a meteorologist on the South Plains.

I've seen a winter in the 1980s where it stayed below zero, day and night, for a solid week. However, most of our winters in recent years have been so mild it has allowed the cotton bollweevil to get a pretty good hold on the South Plains. This was unheard of 40 years ago which is why many of the cotton farmers out here have family roots in eastern Texas, i.e., they moved out here to be free of the pest. I think the yellow jacket wasps who have built nests in the walls of this old farmhouse haven't died off in several winters. We desperately need an enduring cold winter. Here it is November 17th and we have yet to have a freezing night. That may end in two days as they are predicting a 29 degrees nighttime temperature.

In the past, summertime temps seldom exceeded 100 degrees although even that seems to have changed in recent years. Spring tornadoes seem to have almost disappeared (knock on wood) and all seem to have moved north and east toward Wichita Falls and Dallas. The summer humidity can be so low a swamp (evaporative) cooler will chill you to the bone but in the past few years a real AC has been required to remove the humidity.

Sorry to be so vague but that's weather on the Texas South Plains. I've often heard in other places I have lived that, "if you don't like the weather, hang around 15 minutes. It will change." I'm sure that must have originated with someone who has lived here. The good thing about weather changes out here is that you can usually see it coming forty miles away.

In short, predicting the weather on the South Plains is, and possibly always has been, a game of roulette. The one thing that still remains a fair given though are the people. They are some of the best. That too is very likely to change since Lubbock is growing fast.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:55 PM

2,110 posts, read 3,367,354 times
HPR explained it well. In addition, Lubbock on average gets roughly 19 inches of precipitation annually, which is more than Phoenix (roughly 8"), but less than Dallas (35-40?). Its elevation (3200 ft) allows it to be somewhat cooler on an average day in summer than those places (Phoenix might be in a class by itself in that regard nationally).

Pro meteorologists could explain it better, but El Niño, jet streams, pressure systems, dry lines, and other phenomena impact Lubbock's annual weather. Also, unlike Phoenix, a popular expression is that there's nothing between Lubbock and the North Pole except a barbed wire fence (same goes for Dallas). Phoenix is blocked from Arctic blasts by mountains to the north, which is why its winters are some of the warmest in the US.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 PM

709 posts, read 1,227,935 times
Coming from Ohio, you will find Lubbock's worst weather to be nothing to worry about.

I live outside Amarillo, but have spent the last 34 years living in the Lubbock/Amarillo general area. Both cities have their positives and negatives, but as a retirement choice Lubbock is likely the better choice of the two.

Lubbock is a nice place, plenty of amenities, and plenty of healthcare available.

Thumbs up to the choice, and one I may be making in a few years myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock