U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 70,797 times

Advertisements

I am looking for those old-timers who know the nooks and crannies of Lubbock.

Searching for a neighborhood that is OLDER homes, KEPT nice, QUIET, and MODEST. NOT A NEW AREA.

Sometimes you can live in a city for several years before you find these little gems in a city, these little "tucked away" cool neighborhoods with a neighborly vibe and an old-fashioned feel to the architecture. Little neighborhood where there is always a nice white-haired old lady sweeping her front stoop.

SO I'm calling on those who know the town to help out.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,124 times
Well, I'm not a Lubbock old-timer, but I do live in Lubbock, and a couple areas come to mind. One is the Tech Terrace area, which fits your description for the more interesting architecture and charm, but I have a friend who lives there and she and her husband are wanting to leave because it is too close to Tech. There are too many students in the neighborhood for her taste. Another area that's really nice is the Melonie Park area in between Indiana and Quaker just north of the south loop (south of about 60th street). I think most of those homes were built in the '60s and a lot of them look like they were custom homes. Lots of trees and well-landscaped lawns. Hope that helps.

**Oops, I just saw that you want a quiet neighborhood. I think that would rule out Tech Terrace.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM

189 posts, read 595,036 times
The Rush neighborhood is nice. It is near 19th and Slide Rd. I'm not sure what you consider old. 40+, 20+ yrs old? There are quite a few nice neighborhoods with houses built in the 80's.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM

15 posts, read 70,797 times
Thank you for your replies, they are helpful.

I like really old homes, such as were built in the 40's and 50's. You can't get the kind of trimwork and all the tiny rooms one after another after that that I love and need.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,180,144 times
unfortunately most of the very neat old homes are in Tech Terrace right across from Tech. so many of the smaller homes there are filled with students. I know when I attended lots of students also parked over there and walk over to campus. I loved living there LOVED the architecture of the homes, but the weekends could get pretty rowdy. Friends of mine had a house that was PARTY central, constantly people in and out all hours etc... Looking back I am sure it drove the neighbors crazy.

But I am sure some streets are quieter than others...
YOu can usually tell the houses that are rented out to students...lots of cars parked in front (look for greek window decals!) Drive through on a warm fall day before and after a football game!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 18,764 times
how do i post a question on this site

Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM

94 posts, read 403,923 times
im looking to move to lubbock as well. i wouldnt want to move next to any low income housing or public housing, projects etc. what areas should i be looking to stay away from?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM

50,865 posts, read 41,969,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylily View Post
how do i post a question on this site
Looks like you just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaro3577 View Post
im looking to move to lubbock as well. i wouldnt want to move next to any low income housing or public housing, projects etc. what areas should i be looking to stay away from?
Basically, anything on the east side and everything toward the center of town (south of downtown, east of Quaker, north of 50th). You can live in many areas of Lubbock, but you'd just have to learn the city.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 35,471 times
Todaro3577, any highlighted areas are good middle class or above neighborhoods.
Attached Thumbnails
Old-Timers in LUBBOCK, Help Please-lubbockattractionsmap.gif  

Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM

50,865 posts, read 41,969,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuallyFromLubbock View Post
Todaro3577, any highlighted areas are good middle class or above neighborhoods.
Very good post and link. This will definitely help many folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock