Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,863,025 times

Advertisements

I found it amusing that Lubbock is number one at something. According to some rating agency, they found Lubbock the most boring city among the 100 largest cities in America. After living here 11 years, and living near and in some other large cities, I'd have to agree, there isn't a lot to draw visitors here. There aren't a lot of recreational options other than eating out. Yes you can go watch Tech sports, but that's about it. The nearest boating, water skiing, fishing opportunity is over 60 miles away. Unless you own land, there's no hunting, no ATV parks, outdoor shooting range, bike paths for street bikes, or even bike lanes. There's no winter time activities that you could do. To have some fun, most people leave town and go the mountains, hill country, or one of Texas' other major cities. And even then Lubbock, IMHO, isn't so great because you have to drive so far to get to anything. We don't even have a lot of festivals to go to.

To be fair, Lubbock has some natural things against it. Its quite isolated from other population centers. The weather and the wind, and the dryness make it difficult also. Its not near mountains, or lakes or rivers or the ocean. I don't think Amarillo, Abilene or Midland are any better. Lubbock is just too small to offer the kind of things that larger cities can. Plus its easy for people from big cities to beat up on smaller ones. Lubbock's working and getting better and for that I give the city and its leaders credit. You just have to remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edit: I went back and looked at the article, and from what I know, their ranking data is probably OK. They also ranked Plano, TX and Ft. Wayne, Indiana in the top ten and those cities are similar in size, and also don't have much to offer. The city they left out, and maybe because its not big enough, is Peoria, Ill. Its actually much more boring than Lubbock. We lived there eight LONG years.

Can anyone else add some boring cities to add to the list that we should avoid.

Lubbock named most boring city in America | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Last edited by augiedogie; 06-06-2014 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,937,124 times
I only saw the top ten listed. How do you access the full list of 100? I wonder what the minimum population to be in the top 100 is. I can think of other West Texas cities that are surely more boring than Lubbock, and outside the area I'm not sure that Waco wouldn't qualify. Frankly, I used to find Fort Worth boring, a city I lived in for a total of seven years spread across two different periods. Oh, and I lived in Lubbock during high school, but wouldn't deem it the most boring place to be.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,543,758 times
Yeah, I won't say Lubbock is exciting, but I will say that list is very arbitrary, and there are far more boring places than Lubbock. I personally liked Lubbock's rebuttal to the article. Lubbock Responds With

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 AM

Sorry, but FT. Worth has more going on by far. Just a hop skip and a jump from Arlington, Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Rangers, Cowboys, the Bass hall opera Theatre, the museums, their great zoo, and Nascar is just up the road also. Fr. Worth is a polar opposite from Lubbock. Plus there's a lake or two for boating fishing and swimming. Ft. Worth boring?

The whole list might be on the blog they list as their reference. If I remember right, I went there and found only the 10 most boring towns. Also, my guess is that the other towns in west Texas aren't high enough in population to crack the top 100.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 AM

17,661 posts, read 13,511,958 times
Lubbock shouldn't feel too bad, Plano, Irving, and Laredo were on the lists well. Whatever.

Lubbock can't really help where it is and what the weather is like. I think they do ok for what they have to work with. Seems like there is always some sort of festival, convention or concert going on, and you have what Tech offers in athletics and such.

I have gotten to watch LCU's women's basketball team a few times and they are amazing to watch.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,937,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sorry, but FT. Worth has more going on by far. Just a hop skip and a jump from Arlington, Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Rangers, Cowboys, the Bass hall opera Theatre, the museums, their great zoo, and Nascar is just up the road also. Fr. Worth is a polar opposite from Lubbock. Plus there's a lake or two for boating fishing and swimming. Ft. Worth boring?

The whole list might be on the blog they list as their reference. If I remember right, I went there and found only the 10 most boring towns. Also, my guess is that the other towns in west Texas aren't high enough in population to crack the top 100.
The first time I moved to Fort Worth was from Austin. The second time was from the Western Slope of Colorado. Reaction both times; boring. Both moves were associated with ptofessional aspirations. Never really wanted to be in FW. Not my cup of tea overall.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:32 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,945,118 times
Quote:
I found it amusing that Lubbock is number one at something. According to some rating agency, they found Lubbock the most boring city among the 100 largest cities in America. After living here 11 years, and living near and in some other large cities, I'd have to agree, there isn't a lot to draw visitors here. There aren't a lot of recreational options other than eating out. Yes you can go watch Tech sports, but that's about it. The nearest boating, water skiing, fishing opportunity is over 60 miles away. Unless you own land, there's no hunting, no ATV parks, outdoor shooting range, bike paths for street bikes, or even bike lanes. There's no winter time activities that you could do. To have some fun, most people leave town and go the mountains, hill country, or one of Texas' other major cities. And even then Lubbock, IMHO, isn't so great because you have to drive so far to get to anything. We don't even have a lot of festivals to go to.

To be fair, Lubbock has some natural things against it. Its quite isolated from other population centers. The weather and the wind, and the dryness make it difficult also. Its not near mountains, or lakes or rivers or the ocean. I don't think Amarillo, Abilene or Midland are any better. Lubbock is just too small to offer the kind of things that larger cities can. Plus its easy for people from big cities to beat up on smaller ones. Lubbock's working and getting better and for that I give the city and its leaders credit. You just have to remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edit: I went back and looked at the article, and from what I know, their ranking data is probably OK. They also ranked Plano, TX and Ft. Wayne, Indiana in the top ten and those cities are similar in size, and also don't have much to offer. The city they left out, and maybe because its not big enough, is Peoria, Ill. Its actually much more boring than Lubbock. We lived there eight LONG years.

Can anyone else add some boring cities to add to the list that we should avoid.

Lubbock named most boring city in America | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Id say Midland is more boring than Lubbock.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM

WesternTraveler: I'm say you're absolutely right, but Midland probably didn't make the list because it isn't big enough. Remember that the survey was based on the largest 100 cities in America. Midland's not even close to that. My guess is that Waco and Amarillo aren't in the top 100 in population either. That's why I said its not really fair to compare Lubbock to a city like NYC or Chicago, or Milw. or a bunch of other cities far bigger than they are. Lubbock would also have the disadvantage of not having large suburbs around it that increases the size of the metro area. Most larger cities are surrounded by a bunch of smaller ones. Even places like Peoria Ill. are very close to other large suburban cities that within 10 miles of its borders. Lubbock doesn't have that.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,945,118 times
Quote:
WesternTraveler: I'm say you're absolutely right, but Midland probably didn't make the list because it isn't big enough. Remember that the survey was based on the largest 100 cities in America. Midland's not even close to that. My guess is that Waco and Amarillo aren't in the top 100 in population either. That's why I said its not really fair to compare Lubbock to a city like NYC or Chicago, or Milw. or a bunch of other cities far bigger than they are. Lubbock would also have the disadvantage of not having large suburbs around it that increases the size of the metro area. Most larger cities are surrounded by a bunch of smaller ones. Even places like Peoria Ill. are very close to other large suburban cities that within 10 miles of its borders. Lubbock doesn't have that.
well Augie.....I really don't know the cut off for the population numbers but were like 151,000 here in Midland so your prolly right.Lubbock is still quite a bit bigger than us.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:46 AM

52,602 posts, read 47,782,727 times
Look, folks, Lubbock might make a Most Boring list somewhere, but that doesn't mean that the city won't change at some point. The Bush National College Baseball Hall of Fame Museum is going to be built in this city, and when that's finished, a lot of people are going to be interested. It's an important piece to assist in solving Lubbock's boring problem, but it shouldn't be the last. The downtown skyline, admittedly, still leaves people yawning. Sooner or later, someone (McDougal or others) needs to stand up and build a signature tower or two in that area.

Also, if people can read the visitor's guide carefully, then there's plenty around the metro for people to experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock