Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,680 times

Advertisements

The first thing you need to know about Lubbock is the fact that it is a city of 200k+, but it has the mindset of a small cotton community, which it used to be just 30 short years ago. The sad fact of the matter re: Lubbock is that it's not doing much of anything. It has stunted it's own growth, on purpose I think. Look only 120miles north and you have a much more progressive city, Amarillo. I know that may be a hard pill for Lubbock to swallow, but I'm right. Ask anybody who has lived in Lubbock a long time and they will tell you this: The only thing separating Lubbock from Slaton (the town that almost got Tech in 1923) is Tech. That is, without Tech, Lubbock is just another cotton community on the Caprock. Lubbock peaked in the 90s, but then with the losses of BOTH Reese AFB and Texas Instruments, many, many people moved away. These were the engineers, the manufacturers, the assemblers, not to mention a strong military constituency was now gone. Tech is the only thing that Lubbock REALLY has to call their own anymore. Sorry, Lubbock. I lived there 14yrs, and I love that city. But I had to move, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:54 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
I think you're being too hard on Lubbock. It is still growing, and growing faster than Amarillo for that matter. And it is still a good place to live - friendly people, stable economy, low cost of living, little traffic congestion, etc.

You are right, though, that the loss of Reese and TI really hurt the city. I was one of those engineers who left. If some REAL high tech jobs would come to Lubbock (and not the crap at Reese "Technology" center) I very well might move back.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Amarillo... progressive? That's a good one. Never mind that Lubbock actually has a higher growth rate. Besides truckstops and dirty industry, I've yet to see anything Amarillo does better than Lubbock.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 19,687 times
We sold our house and moved out of state.
If you are not Republican and a member of the two big churches, Church of Christ or Baptist, be prepared to be picked on.
We had the same feelings that you have now about church.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM

21 posts, read 29,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewallace View Post
If you are not Republican and a member of the two big churches, Church of Christ or Baptist, be prepared to be picked on.
Catholicism not welcomed in Lubbock?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonerdude View Post
Catholicism not welcomed in Lubbock?
Catholicism has the second most adherents, I believe, after Southern Baptist. I have plenty of Catholic friends in Lubbock. Some of the more sheltered Protestants might be a little curious, but it's plenty welcoming.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewallace View Post

Not true.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Amarillo... progressive? That's a good one. Never mind that Lubbock actually has a higher growth rate. Besides truckstops and dirty industry, I've yet to see anything Amarillo does better than Lubbock.
Downtown Amarillo is architecturally much more attractive than downtown Lubbock, and while not exactly bustling, does not have that post-Apocalyptic, Deliverance in the desert feel that downtown Lubbock has at night.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 19,687 times
Wink Lubbock and Religion

Some replies I see related only to ones self. We traveled the country and attended churches in ever state but Hawaii and North Dakota. We found that the Catholic hate the Baptist and the Baptist hate the Catholic. The Catholic think the Mormon Church is a CULT. We were prosecuted in the town we lived in, so I said I was Mormon. The one church that treated us as people! We attended two different Hispanic Churches and was accepted as in their "Gringo" account of members. No many Gringo's understand how the word came to be, so look up your history, but that would be a fact and facts are not accepted in Texas.
I met more people from the two years I lived in the dry town at the liquor store in Lubbock outskirts than I did in the town. My yard had beer bottles and whiskey bottle in it on a daily basis. When the tow went wet, we had none. Even my alley was clean.
When the churches get back to God and preaching the Bible then things will get better. The church should have nothing to do with a vote. And most of all a Woman has the right to HER body, not some old man in politics or a misguided woman that has been brain washed. Simpletons can be convinced of anything.
So if you answer this input, think about it.
Take care of your teachers and your school children, I see you have oil, now do something positive. You might do something about health insurance, since all the tax payers pay for the people who do not have it?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Coherence is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock