Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM

42 posts, read 129,548 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

We will be retiring in about 5 years or so and we're starting to look at places to move to. I've read through numerous posts about Lubbock and it seems folks think it's small. Is this because DFW is so huge? A population of 200k is huge compared to northwestern Illinois where we have lived our entire lives. We live in a micro "twin-cities" with a population of about 30k total. The nearest large cities (150k+) are an hour's drive in almost any direction.

Folks say it's isolated with everything being a 3-5 hour drive, but looking at a map Lubbock looks like it's surrounded by many smaller towns. Plainview, Brownfield, Lamesa, and Littlefield all look to be within 2 hours and decent sized communities. We drive 2.5 hours to get into Chicago a few times a year.

I know it's pretty flat and dry and that would be a change coming from green and corn and humidity everywhere. But I hear so many differing opinions about the snow and wind. Winters here have been milder the last 5 years but at its worst it's highs in the teens for a week and 3-6 inch snowfalls four or five times a season. And as for wind is it more of some stiff breezes, or sustained winds with 20+ mpg gusts? We live just north of a wind corridor through Illinois with quite a few wind farms.

Texas is one of the states we're looking at because of its tax structure and climate being favorable for retirees. Lubbock and a couple of other places (Big Spring, San Angelo, Abeline) have made the first culling. Along with places in Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and Mississippi but we're not real wild about the humidity in those places, but the scenery and chance for outdoor activities is better I think.

It's still years off, but if we wait too long it'll be a rushed decision. This gives us time to have a chance to visit many places in different times of the year to get a feel for all of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 01:14 PM

437 posts, read 924,601 times
We moved to Lubbock a few years ago and love it. It does amuse me that some people seem to think it's a "small town". Maybe they're comparing it to DFW or Houston? The population is closer to 300k now, with it being the primary city in a county of over 300k and the "hub" city for a much larger region. It has just about any restaurant/shopping you can think of. And, thanks in part to having so many colleges and universities, there are always plenty of activities. Healthcare is good and traffic is basically non-existent, due to a very well-planned infrastructure. Cost of living is very reasonable, the taxes are manageable and the people are very friendly. We've found it to be a great place to raise a family and have been pleased with our decision.
Regarding weather, it's mostly warm and dry, with cooler evenings. Wind is an occasional nuisance, but the dust storms it's famous for only seem to happen a handful of times per year. And they're usually over in a matter of hours. Fall weather here is gorgeous! With all that being said, I lived in San Angelo previously and found it quite charming. I'd encourage to visit all the cities on your list and decide for yourself. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I've lived in Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, and have enough knowledge about Big Spring and Abilene to be helpful. Direct message me with your questions.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,817 times
I thought Lubbock had wind until I moved to Amarillo. If hadn't been a job transfer I would have never left Lubbock.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 34,690 times
Been in w Texas for 4 years and hate it with a passion. The one positive note are Texans who for the most part are conservative. If(when) TSHTF this is a good place to be. But you can take the horizon to horizon cotton & oil fields and stick it. I'm about outta here and will do my best to blot living here out of my mind. The summers are scorching hot and the wind can be numbing.

Good luck

Old 06-23-2019, 04:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I'm a retired studio musician and retired here. The COL is low, haven't encountered any crime, the health care is outstanding, and the university is a source of both friendships and income for me as I teach violin and piano in my home, private lessons, so I have a lot of doctor's and professor's kids, as well as college students. I made enough money here to put my kid through university and law school.

Texas Tech University is one of the few schools that have both a law school and a medical school. Lots of eminent people from all over the world. I had ovarian cancer seven years ago and got excellent care.

Politically it's conservative, which is not my thing. And evangelical Christian, also not my thing. But there are plenty of academics at Tech who are liberal, so it's not that isolating. I'm very comfortable here in my big ole' house which costs a small fraction of what it would cost in a different economy. The economy here is good.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:57 AM

11 posts, read 12,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm a retired studio musician and retired here. The COL is low, haven't encountered any crime, the health care is outstanding, and the university is a source of both friendships and income for me as I teach violin and piano in my home, private lessons, so I have a lot of doctor's and professor's kids, as well as college students. I made enough money here to put my kid through university and law school.

Texas Tech University is one of the few schools that have both a law school and a medical school. Lots of eminent people from all over the world. I had ovarian cancer seven years ago and got excellent care.

Politically it's conservative, which is not my thing. And evangelical Christian, also not my thing. But there are plenty of academics at Tech who are liberal, so it's not that isolating. I'm very comfortable here in my big ole' house which costs a small fraction of what it would cost in a different economy. The economy here is good.

I really enjoyed your post, Kara. Thank you ! That is just the kind of information that I am looking for, as I discern where to finish my career and then to retire.

I referenced your post in another thread, at https://www.city-data.com/forum/lubb...el-paso-4.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock