Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times

Advertisements

Looking to invest in a second home to use half the year. Looking for a non-hoa, walkable area, that is a sound place to invest. Is there a big difference in the two? Does Panhandle vs. West Texas make a difference? Do you notice any differences in the Mexican cuisine? I like the idea of a university town, and have lived in a few, but would prefer a better job market, although I take care of most of my business online. I have been living in Bangkok for 6 years, and thinking about re-establishing myself in the States. I love college football, cold beer, steak, spicy food, and spicy food with steak in it. Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Either city will meet your needs, both are Panhandle. Think Abilene and San Angelo as West Texas. Lubbock has the university, and should be considered a college town. Amarillo is all business, dead center of southern North America and is the major crossing of rail and long-haul trucking traffic. They are so close together that you could use both of what each city has to offer. It seems that housing is less expensive in Amarillo.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:11 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Either city will meet your needs, both are Panhandle. Think Abilene and San Angelo as West Texas. Lubbock has the university, and should be considered a college town. Amarillo is all business, dead center of southern North America and is the major crossing of rail and long-haul trucking traffic. They are so close together that you could use both of what each city has to offer. It seems that housing is less expensive in Amarillo.
Doesn't this map show Lubbock as West Texas?
Attached Thumbnails
Lubbock or Amarillo for older single guy...-images.jpeg  

Old 10-20-2019, 10:01 AM

You’ll see many different Texas regional maps: seven, nine, and even eleven regions. No one really considers Lubbock in West Texas, the normal term used by natives for the area is the South Plains (search for this term).

Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Looking to invest in a second home to use half the year. Looking for a non-hoa, walkable area, that is a sound place to invest. Is there a big difference in the two? Does Panhandle vs. West Texas make a difference? Do you notice any differences in the Mexican cuisine? I like the idea of a university town, and have lived in a few, but would prefer a better job market, although I take care of most of my business online. I have been living in Bangkok for 6 years, and thinking about re-establishing myself in the States. I love college football, cold beer, steak, spicy food, and spicy food with steak in it. Thanks, in advance.
I would go with Lubbock over Amarillo.Good luck,OP.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 38,170 times
Quote:
You’ll see many different Texas regional maps: seven, nine, and even eleven regions. No one really considers Lubbock in West Texas, the normal term used by natives for the area is the South Plains (search for this term).
Well, "no one" doesn't include the majority of folks who live in Lubbock. Lubbock IS West Texas.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:35 PM

No it’s not. South Plains. San Angelo is in West Texas. Waco is in North Central Texas. Pecos is in Far West Texas. Lufkin is in East Texas, Jasper is in Deep East Texas. Del Rio is in Southwest Texas, Laredo is in South Texas, and McAllen is in The Valley. Etc.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
No it’s not. South Plains. San Angelo is in West Texas. Waco is in North Central Texas. Pecos is in Far West Texas. Lufkin is in East Texas, Jasper is in Deep East Texas. Del Rio is in Southwest Texas, Laredo is in South Texas, and McAllen is in The Valley. Etc.
Think what you will. San Angelo is almost central Texas. It certainly isn't less than 60 miles from the NM state line.

Also, I'm not sure when you were in Lubbock last, but it is light years ahead of Amarillo in virtually every way.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Look into Lubbock. Great college sports, good food, breweries popping up all over downtown. Friendliest people you will find, too.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKomarek View Post

Also, I'm not sure when you were in Lubbock last, but it is light years ahead of Amarillo in virtually every way.
I was in Lubbock over the holidays, I agree that it’s ahead of Amarillo in many ways. But I was responding to the OP— Amarillo housing is less expensive and has a broader economic base than does Lubbock, always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock