U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 11:31 AM

10,189 posts, read 8,993,828 times

Advertisements

I lived in LBK for 11 years. I was always amazed the so few name acts were brought to town. For example, both Willie Nelson and John Fogery are playing here in St. Augustine Fl in the next two weeks. I dont remember Willie ever playing in town. Anyone know why. Its just one of many things that made living in Lbk as unpleasant as it was. As soon as we retired, we left.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 04:04 PM

2,111 posts, read 3,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I lived in LBK for 11 years. I was always amazed the so few name acts were brought to town. For example, both Willie Nelson and John Fogery are playing here in St. Augustine Fl in the next two weeks. I dont remember Willie ever playing in town. Anyone know why. Its just one of many things that made living in Lbk as unpleasant as it was. As soon as we retired, we left.
From what I understand, lately it’s been mainly up-and-coming acts that appeal to the college crowd, and then those who appear for events like JABFest (Josh Abbott Band) and others. Buddy Holly Hall should help bring in more gigs once it opens. Here’s a pic of the main stage under construction (not mine):

https://melindagreenharvey.com/2020/02/15/in-the-house/

Willie Nelson did play in Lubbock in summer 2009, as did Bob Dylan and John Mellencamp at a concert at Jones Stadium (think Nelson also did a concert in the city 10-20 years earlier). More recently, Paul McCartney and Garth Brooks performed at the United Supermarkets Arena on the TTU campus.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:29 PM

30 posts, read 15,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The Buddy Holly Hall for Performing Arts and Sciences will change that. Lubbock will support any good act, there just wasn't a quality venue. Being the finest performing arts center in Texas will draw many excellent shows.

[vimeo]155831650[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/155831650

Old 03-04-2020, 12:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 2,856,070 times
With a huge university located there, and so many iconic and influential Texas musical artists coming from the Lubbock region such as Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, to name a few, it seems like Lubbock, would have one of the most thriving music scenes in all of Texas.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 AM

3,878 posts, read 7,189,504 times
For such a relatively small, isolated city, Lubbock does pretty well for itself in the music scene I'd say. Even larger cities like Denver and Albuquerque sometimes get passed over by touring acts just because of their relative isolation. Household names are only a once-a-year occurrence in Lubbock it seems, but live music is never hard to find.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM

437 posts, read 815,701 times
There’s live music all over Lubbock almost any night of the week, in bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. As for big-name acts, I saw KISS in Lubbock just last night. Not as many acts as a huge metropolitan area, but probably more than most places with a similar population.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Status: "Got my first COVID vaccine shot." (set 6 days ago)

50,381 posts, read 40,460,201 times
I call it "Texas' Other Music City", as Austin already claims the Live Music Capital tag. But Lubbock ought to be doing more live music and more publicity to pump up its rock-and-roll persona, given the wealth of talent that has a history here. Buddy Holly is part of that makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock