U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 48,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
I grew up in Lubbock and never thought of it as a racist town. There's plenty of diversity in the neighborhoods, even the nice ones. My parent's live in a very nice neighborhood and have people of different races on their street, and they all get along fine. It's not some close minded hick town. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I really liked living in Lubbock. The scenery isn't the greatest, but you will get used to it. I just told myself that I would never take trees for granted while I lived in Lubbock. I appreciated things more. Hope you love Lubbock like I did.

Thank you so much for the helpful info. It just brings a sigh of relief.

Yes, I will miss the Mountains incredibly. But that is alright. It is a short adventure and I am looking forward to learning more about Lubbock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Thank you so much for the kind words :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You should just come on down. Don't let anyone stop you and, by all means, ignore the unnecessary stereotyping and labeling. This is Texas. And you'll meet some of the friendliest people around, no matter what race or color. Lubbock's growing and this is an exciting time -- you need to be a part of this.

Well, that is the type of welcoming I was hoping for. I have read your posts before and you are one of those nice people you talk about in Lubbock. So that makes me feel good about coming down. Thank you for your hospitality.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Status: "A doctor one day keeps the apple away." (set 6 hours ago)

51,341 posts, read 44,664,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn32 View Post
Well, that is the type of welcoming I was hoping for. I have read your posts before and you are one of those nice people you talk about in Lubbock. So that makes me feel good about coming down. Thank you for your hospitality.
Well, you're welcome. I endorse many Texas cities, and Lubbock is not an exception. I may live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but I always encourage people whenever there is a city they want to move to. I try to help them out as much as possible if that's where they want to go. The way I look at it, people are moving to Texas, so I want folks to fit in and be comfortable and make themselves at home. I won't always try to bring people to D/FW just because I live here, and it's because I deal with other posters on a case-by-case basis (no pun intended -- kind of). I try to focus on helping the person or persons with where they want to be. That's my approach to this.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,791,970 times
Every place has "diversity", since everyone is different.

It seems to me that the term "diversity" is a kind of Orwellian "New-Speak" that achieves political ends without anyone really understanding what the world means.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 AM

360 posts, read 1,031,177 times
I've lived in Lubbock about 15 months. At the company I work for about half the workforce is Hispanic. Some are easy going, good natured folks. Some seem very tense around Anglos. That pretty much sums up my Anglo coworkers around Hispanics too. As my job takes me into various neighborhoods, I'm a courier, I've met numerous Hispanic families in upscale neighborhoods. Basicly if you can afford it you're welcome. My biggest beefs with the city, and mostly why I'm leaving, is the climate and lack of scenery. The town itself is ok, but I've lived in a number of mountainous areas, including Colorado, and level cotton fields just grind on me. Couple that with high winds, the tornado threat, dust storms, the constant changing weather conditions, well, it gets oid. Lubbock has some nice neighborhoods and I suppose if you have a nice home in one of them it would be much more tolerable. Air service is very good for a city this size. And if you need a mountain getaway, Ruidoso,, NM isn't too far away. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Status: "A doctor one day keeps the apple away." (set 6 hours ago)

51,341 posts, read 44,664,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I've lived in Lubbock about 15 months. At the company I work for about half the workforce is Hispanic. Some are easy going, good natured folks. Some seem very tense around Anglos. That pretty much sums up my Anglo coworkers around Hispanics too. As my job takes me into various neighborhoods, I'm a courier, I've met numerous Hispanic families in upscale neighborhoods. Basicly if you can afford it you're welcome. My biggest beefs with the city, and mostly why I'm leaving, is the climate and lack of scenery. The town itself is ok, but I've lived in a number of mountainous areas, including Colorado, and level cotton fields just grind on me. Couple that with high winds, the tornado threat, dust storms, the constant changing weather conditions, well, it gets oid. Lubbock has some nice neighborhoods and I suppose if you have a nice home in one of them it would be much more tolerable. Air service is very good for a city this size. And if you need a mountain getaway, Ruidoso,, NM isn't too far away. Good luck with your move!
Appreciate the opinion, van, but let me add this. What Lubbock does not have in scenery gets made up for by beautiful sunsets and sunrises. There's no better place for them than right there. Nonetheless, people are moving there more than ever, so I'd look for some surprises in the future.

By the way, if you go southeast of town towards Post, you'll see the nice escarpment on the edge of the caprock. It's outside the metro, but it's worth thirty miles.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM

189 posts, read 605,845 times
Quote:
Appreciate the opinion, van, but let me add this. What Lubbock does not have in scenery gets made up for by beautiful sunsets and sunrises. There's no better place for them than right there. Nonetheless, people are moving there more than ever, so I'd look for some surprises in the future.

By the way, if you go southeast of town towards Post, you'll see the nice escarpment on the edge of the caprock. It's outside the metro, but it's worth thirty miles.
Plus... Palo Duro Canyon is a fun place to go hiking to (near Amarillo.) The scenery is pretty. Kinda like a "baby grand canyon." If you like musicals the Texas musical there is fun! It's outside at an ampitheatre. You can also camp there... although I wouldn't camp there in the middle of summer... can get quite hot!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM

360 posts, read 1,031,177 times
Quote:

I get out that way once a week and am very thankful for it! Post is a great town too.. Work is keeping me in Texas for a few years. I grew up in Central Florida and miss the lakes and oak trees. Nacogdoches looks good, and I'd consider Del Rio for Lake Amistad and not too far from Big Bend. I've had my fill of big towns.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post

Thanks Van for the input. I know it will take some getting used to over there and I know I will miss the Colorado Mountains. We will be there a short while.... the most a year and we will make the best of it and enjoy what there could be to offer in Lubbock. I am nervous about the tornado, winds and dust storms. Yes, we have been to NM and my mother actually lives in alamogordo so we can visit and get a change of pace when we need it. Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 AM

10 posts, read 44,490 times
I grew up in Lubbock which is about 28% latino and I'm latino(mexican) as well I enjoyed living in Lubbock the people are friendly and as long as you show people respect you get it in return.There isn't a specific part of town thats latino most of the neighborhoods are diverse.People just live where they can afford to live.I don't think you have to worry about feeling out of place because you're latino.Lubbock has had mexican americans living here for generations and everyone gets along good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock