U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 48,044 times

Advertisements

Ok... I am really nervous about the posts I have read about Lubbock. I even went on youtube and saw videos of Lubbock. It is not the prettiest of places and we are coming from Colorado. My real concern is the fact that my family is of Latin culture and we don't necessarily want to move to bad areas of town to have diversity. Is that going to be a problem? From all the post I have read I also see that the Southwest and Northwest ends of town are the nicer or the more pricer neighborhoods. From what I have read the people seem nice but are they nice to their own race? We are so nervous about taking this position there because of the diversity issue and the very conservative beliefs. I mean we are conservatives but not to the extreme we seem to hear. Would you consider Lubbock to be more of a Baptist area? Hardcore Christians? I know I might receive some bashing for this but we kinda really need to know whether or not we would be welcomed. We are an easy going close knit family and don't want this short term experience to be a flop. Any thoughts?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 PM

152 posts, read 649,084 times
I would suggest visiting it before you make your decision.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,611,442 times
There are also nice areas near Tech as well. Lubbockites are generally very friendly. From what I've read, there has been a great influx of newcomers from all over.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 174,745 times
Colorado has such a worse history concerning Hispanics than does West Texas. You are moving from a place that's seen awful behavior to a place that has NOT. But there are some factions in Lubbock that like to stir things up, on both sides, IMO but that is hardly the be-all, end-all of Lubbock. It's MINOR.

If you come in thinking you will have trouble because you are latino, then likely whatever you encounter will be seen through that filter. We all do this. Sometimes we are treated one way or another due to race or gender or whatever. But sometimes the treatment has zero to do with any of that yet we chalk it up to our race or our whatever.

I have to "call" you on your idea of "diversity." Is "diversity" to you being around similar people? LOL! Moving to a "bad" area to get "diversity" meaning to be around fellow latinos???

What about if you were in a town like I am, with over 50% Hispanic? Would you then be asking about moving to the "Anglo" areas to be sure you got your fair share of "diversity"???

Lubbock is a good place, a good town, a place where you can live in peace, a place where you don't hear stupid car alarms 24/7, a place of excellent humidity, inexpensive in many ways, great airport right there, Texas Tech right there (YAY), doctors, hobby stores, whatever you want, all there, the Hub City. I'd be more concerned if you had some unusual religion, but it's still live and let live, though it can get a teeny bit lonelier than if you had a church family right there.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 PM

BRUSHFYRE- this is addressing your comments

We could live on the best ends of town for half of what we pay here. That is absolutely wonderful! We are not looking for the low end of town but in our neighborhoods in Colorado we have a variety of people living in the best areas of town. For instance, our area of town is one of the best areas of town to live in and yet and still we still have a mixture of different cultures. So that is not the case with Lubbock then? So are you saying my assumptions are right? Diversity in the dictionary means exactly this because I almost doubted what I knew it meant from your comments-
di·ver·si·ty 1.the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness. 2.variety; multiformity. 3.a point of difference.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME diversite

Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
There are also nice areas near Tech as well. Lubbockites are generally very friendly. From what I've read, there has been a great influx of newcomers from all over.

Thank you so much Shoe01! That is a good thought!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
I would suggest visiting it before you make your decision.

You are right! But we don't have much time to make a decision.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 PM

51,319 posts, read 44,614,332 times
You should just come on down. Don't let anyone stop you and, by all means, ignore the unnecessary stereotyping and labeling. This is Texas. And you'll meet some of the friendliest people around, no matter what race or color. Lubbock's growing and this is an exciting time -- you need to be a part of this.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 PM

189 posts, read 605,571 times
I grew up in Lubbock and never thought of it as a racist town. There's plenty of diversity in the neighborhoods, even the nice ones. My parent's live in a very nice neighborhood and have people of different races on their street, and they all get along fine. It's not some close minded hick town. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I really liked living in Lubbock. The scenery isn't the greatest, but you will get used to it. I just told myself that I would never take trees for granted while I lived in Lubbock. I appreciated things more. Hope you love Lubbock like I did.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM

36 posts, read 174,745 times
Default I smell a troll

Quote in bold

My real concern is the fact that my family is of Latin culture and we don't necessarily want to move to bad areas of town to have diversity.

You really don't understand the definition of diversity, do you? Or do you think "diversity" means "brown or black"?

Lubbock has tens of thousands of Hispanics in it. It also has professors from around the entire world, and physicians from around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock