U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 12:24 AM

50 posts, read 37,291 times

Advertisements

Hello. I’ve been on the fence for quite a while on where to move. I have been wanting to move somewhere close to a good transplant center because my father needs a kidney transplant. According to my research, the best and fastest transplant center is medical city Fort Worth. My second choice was Mayo Clinic in Phoenix Arizona.

Now I know both of these places are super hot. For Arizona, I would live in Prescott where the temps are much milder. So I’d really like get some feedback On the heat north of Fort Worth. How far up do you need to go? It doesn’t seem like Lewisville or Denton is far enough. I was looking at the Amarillo area towards the west and mt. Pleasant area on the east.

I am very sensitive to heat. If it’s going to be hot for 3 months, I can put up with it, but when does it start getting cooler in these areas? Is there any place where I could get 40xs or 50s weather in mid October? Through March? April?

I would rather move to Texas as that center is the best for my dad, but this is where I want to live for at least the next 8 years. I’m originally from Miami, and I don’t want to live anywhere similar to that where you get 2 weeks of cold weather a year.

Looking forward to all ideas and opinions. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 03:04 PM

2,110 posts, read 3,367,354 times
Amarillo, and Lubbock, are significantly cooler (and less humid) than Fort Worth (but they still get hot). However, you’re looking at a roughly five-hour road trip (possibly more) to get to Fort Worth. If you can fly, that could be a better option (1-hr flight). It can get breezy.

Looks like Prescott could be a two-hour drive or so from Phoenix, depending on where the hospital is.

Heat index is a big factor this time of year in Mount Pleasant (and probably in Fort Worth, Lewisville, and Denton).

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx0029
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx2745

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx0353
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx1900

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx0924

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0178
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usaz0166

Hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:55 AM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Everywhere in Texas is going to be hot in the summer from late May through early September. October and April are the nicest weather months, but the high will be around 65-75 daily. The weather you are seeking in the 40s-50s is typical winter weather in North Texas. East Texas is hot and humid, while West Texas is hot and dry. You'd have to go north to at least Kansas or Nebraska to escape the summer heat.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,376 times
It seemed more tolerable here 35 years ago. The few days it reached 100 were scorchers then it cooled way down at night. It's like Mad Max now. Just hot all the time.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:52 AM

Thank you to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The weather you are seeking in the 40s-50s is typical winter weather in North Texas. East Texas is hot and humid, while West Texas is hot and dry.

Would North Texas be Wichita Falls or would it include Denton and Frisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb717 View Post
It seemed more tolerable here 35 years ago. The few days it reached 100 were scorchers then it cooled way down at night. It's like Mad Max now. Just hot all the time.

Where in TX do you live? I feel the same about Miami. It seems to be getting hotter and hotter each year. It is also horribly humid, and that is the last thing I want.

So...Lubbock is warmer than Amarillo and Denton is hotter than Lubbock. Are all of these dry? even Denton/Frisco area? What about Wichita Falls? Abilene?

After looking at home prices in Prescott, AZ, Texas definitely gives you way more house for the same price. And that is a factor since I will be living with my dad and need some kind of privacy.

I'm also looking for a nice area. That would mean low crime, clean neighborhoods, and close to grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc. By clean I mean pride in what your home looks like...no couches or mattresses sitting in front yards and no broken down cars either for that matter.

Ideally, I'd like to be in a suburb of a fairly big city that offers lots more in terms of arts and culture, but I realize that may not be realistic. I know the Fort Worth area has all of this, but it's not worth it to me if it is humid. A friend lived in Arlington, and she said it is extremely humid.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:53 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
The further west you get from I35, the drier the climate will be. The further East you go, the greener and wetter it will be. Fort Worth is humid, but not nearly as humid as Houston.

Wichita Falls is pretty blah with not many trees (besides Mesquite trees). It’s also a very boring 2 hour drive to Fort Worth, and there’s not many redeeming qualities in the town. You’d be hard-pressed to find much “arts and culture” there. (If you’re looking for that in Texas, you need to be near DFW.) It’s also known to have some pretty severe weather as it is definitely more in “tornado alley” than DFW.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 AM

thanks ChristieP. that helps!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,660,382 times
I live in Houston but have spent ample time in Lubbock and Amarilo. Its a completely different world out there. The weather in Houston is more like Central Florida. The weather in the Panhandle is more like Kansas. DFW is somewhere in between. In the middle of summer, the highs in Amarillo will drop into the upper 50s. That is completely unheard of virutally anywhere else in the state.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:59 PM

1,920 posts, read 3,044,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I live in Houston but have spent ample time in Lubbock and Amarilo. Its a completely different world out there. The weather in Houston is more like Central Florida. The weather in the Panhandle is more like Kansas. DFW is somewhere in between. In the middle of summer, the highs in Amarillo will drop into the upper 50s. That is completely unheard of virutally anywhere else in the state.
I spent one of those nicely cool days on Fourth of July in the Panhandle one time! Having said that...I'm sure you meant "the LOWS in Amarillo 'HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO' drop into the upper 50s!" Even still lows in the sixties can be a nice thing despite the scorching daytime temps.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...f1304a4e6de26c

Old 07-13-2020, 02:34 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,660,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I spent one of those nicely cool days on Fourth of July in the Panhandle one time! Having said that...I'm sure you meant "the LOWS in Amarillo 'HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO' drop into the upper 50s!" Even still lows in the sixties can be a nice thing despite the scorching daytime temps.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...f1304a4e6de26c
One thing I miss about living in Dallas is that, while the day time is almost as miserable there as it is here in Houston, the summer nights in Dallas are quite pleasant. The summer nights in Houston are just as miserable as the days. The only pleasant hours here in summer are between 5 and 10 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock