Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 10:49 AM

54 posts, read 74,013 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at places like Lubbock and Amarillo but also a slew of surrounding ones. Midland/Odessa, canyon, Abilene, San Angelo, plainview, dumas, pampa. And other ones farther west like old paso and also Sierra Blanca, presidio, marfa, alpine. I already know these places have dry and temperate climates, but I haven’t been physically there. I’m traveling there today and would like some pointers on which ones are most modern, have the most green, and have low crime. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 03:46 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
Green and West Texas are often mutually exclusive terms, especially in the winter.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:00 PM

748 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaisa View Post
I have been looking at places like Lubbock and Amarillo but also a slew of surrounding ones. Midland/Odessa, canyon, Abilene, San Angelo, plainview, dumas, pampa. And other ones farther west like old paso and also Sierra Blanca, presidio, marfa, alpine. I already know these places have dry and temperate climates, but I haven’t been physically there. I’m traveling there today and would like some pointers on which ones are most modern, have the most green, and have low crime. Thanks!
Lubbock: I lived 20+/- yrs in the city and just outside it. Nice place to raise a family, is the largest city in the area, but if you are used to a metro area, you will be disappointed. Sandstorms in the spring, occasional snow/ice in the winter, overall a pretty nice place though.

Amarillo/Canyon: I live just outside Canyon now, have for the last decade. Canyon is a wonderful place to live, Amarillo is close enough to run into for lunch even but Canyon has it's own vibe, good schools, and is growing fast. Frankly, Canyon is the best place I have ever lived. Nice little college town and full of real nice folks.

Abilene: Have friends there, about the best I can tell, the best thing about it is that it is closer to the metroplex (DFW) than where I am now.

San Angelo: Nice little town, have friends and family there. If you are looking for something fairly remote, but not TOO remote, it would be a pretty good place.

Plainview: I drive through there all the time, residents can go north to Amarillo or south to Lubbock. Nice little college town, but has no attraction for me. I would (and have) pick(ed) another place.

Dumas: Not a lot going on there really. Nothing bad about it at all, there is just not much draw there

Pampa: Not a real nice place. I have some family by marriage that live there, and their roots are the reason they stay. Some nice folks there, but the town is not that great. IMO only, there are some that argue I am sure.

El Paso: Visited there a few times decades ago, but not terribly familiar with it. Those that know it seem to think highly of it.

Sierra Blanca: I don't know anything about it.

I grew up in Fort Stockton, have few roots left down there, but my thoughts on the following:

Presidio: Very remote, not a lot going for it.

Marfa: Very remote, not a lot going for it either.

Alpine: A nice town, has a college, I would consider living there if I could make a living, and wasn't getting closer to the age I might need more medical care.

Fort Davis: You didn't mention it, but if I were to pick anything down there, it would be FD. Cool, small, a tiny bit artsy. Lots of history there too. Would be slightly higher on the "maybe move there" list than Alpine.

Fort Stockton: pass. I really can't give a subjective review, having spent the last 8 years of my growing up time there. I didn't enjoy growing up, so it colors my memories of the town.

Pecos: pass/avoid/don't bother to look. Just a rough place. My grandparents are buried there, and I just can't find any reason to go back there. It was rough in the 70's when I was growing up next door in FS, and I don't think it has gotten any better.

Midland/Odessa: Boom/bust cities down there, I would counsel you to avoid them both. If you aren't required to live there for your oil related job, just don't move there.

Just my opinions here, worth exactly what you paid for them.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:42 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Green and West Texas are often mutually exclusive terms, especially in the winter.
True.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:36 PM

here in Midland (cheapest flight in). hot and dusty. thinking about going to see the marfa lights. thanks for the feedback. i'm looking for A schools so fort davis doesn't fit the bill although I would most likely love it otherwise.

marfa is just a side trip. going to el paso (maybe) next. the most towns on my list are north of midland. a big concern of el paso is how close it is to the border. is it really a lot of crime the closer you get? is there a lot of crime because of people crossing? sorry to sound so ignorant. i have no problem with mexicans at all. I'm half cuban. I'd just like to hear any advice.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:10 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaisa View Post
here in Midland (cheapest flight in). hot and dusty. thinking about going to see the marfa lights. thanks for the feedback. i'm looking for A schools so fort davis doesn't fit the bill although I would most likely love it otherwise.

marfa is just a side trip. going to el paso (maybe) next. the most towns on my list are north of midland. a big concern of el paso is how close it is to the border. is it really a lot of crime the closer you get? is there a lot of crime because of people crossing? sorry to sound so ignorant. i have no problem with mexicans at all. I'm half cuban. I'd just like to hear any advice.
El Paso is actually really safe.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
If you’re looking for good schools, then look at San Angelo (area with Central HS, not Lakeview) and Lubbock.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:11 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
The Texas South Plains around Lubbock are very dry, brown and dusty right now due to drought conditions. I grew up in very wet and green deep east Texas area but I've loved the Lubbock, TX to Clovis, NM area since 1968 when I first came across Texas. We currently have a 20 acre farm place between Lubbock and Plainview. I call it a hobby farm since I don't have crops or livestock.

You sound too young for me to be offering any useable advice to but I've always said you can't beat the quality of folks out here on the Texas South Plains. Maybe I say this because my wife grew up out here and she has stayed with me now for 49 years. We both have a lot of good memories from being out here (off and on due to a career) over the past 50 years.

Possibly you'll see this old place listed on Realtor.com or Zillow soon? Hopefully it will be listed by me and not by the grandkids right after I give it to them and they have put me into the ground?

At any rate, best of luck in your move and in your future.

PS: Watch closely the property tax rates on any property you look at. West Texas counties have the highest property tax rates in the State.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
PS: Watch closely the property tax rates on any property you look at. West Texas counties have the highest property tax rates in the State.

very good to know. thanks.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,128,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
West Texas counties have the highest property tax rates in the State.
I thought Ft Bend and other counties in the Houston area held that title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock