Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,448 times

Advertisements

You heard right.......Texas has just been ranked #2 out of the 50 states
per high-tech......just under California........indeed, that is so incredible.....and it shows......maybe thats why so many californians are coming to Texas.....

What do YOU think about Texas' #2 ranking in the high-tech state survey?

http://creativeclass.com/rfcgdb/arti....%20States.pdf

The state even SOUNDS tech....TECH-SASSS....I know, bad pun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
It is cool, though I wish it would translate into jobs for us, in TX and CA. My boyfriend's family's and my family's computer jobs are either gone or in danger of going, and my boyfriend has had rotten luck in finding a job with a bachelor's in computer science, a so-so GPA, and too much college loan debt to even think about going back for an advanced degree.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
You heard right.......Texas has just been ranked #2 out of the 50 states
per high-tech......just under California........indeed, that is so incredible.....and it shows......maybe thats why so many californians are coming to Texas.....

What do YOU think about Texas' #2 ranking in the high-tech state survey?

http://creativeclass.com/rfcgdb/arti....%20States.pdf

The state even SOUNDS tech....TECH-SASSS....I know, bad pun....
Well, if you take a look, the article is from 2003! That's 5 years ago. Not that much as changed, but TX has become the new working class town. A place of decent wages, low COL and a great climate for business had led the way. Alot of industries have set up shop in TX for those very reasons. Pay an employee 60k in SoCal or SF or in the NE- they won't be very happy. 60k in Tx, they are doing just fine Hence, great for employers and therefore bring in the jobs!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM

What jobs? My boyfriend still has yet to find one and our parents' computer jobs are either gone or in serious danger of disappearing. And we're all in Texas.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
What jobs? My boyfriend still has yet to find one and our parents' computer jobs are either gone or in serious danger of disappearing. And we're all in Texas.
It depends on supply and demand... are they in a high demand field? I'm a network engineer and my wife is a SAP security analyst... both of us get e-mails daily about jobs and we're not actively seeking employment. But if you're a PC tech or work helpdesk, chances are there are way more people who just graduated from some tech college who are lining up to get into the industry.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
It depends on supply and demand... are they in a high demand field? I'm a network engineer and my wife is a SAP security analyst... both of us get e-mails daily about jobs and we're not actively seeking employment. But if you're a PC tech or work helpdesk, chances are there are way more people who just graduated from some tech college who are lining up to get into the industry.
I'm not sure about our parents, but my boyfriend is more into programming in Java and C++ and hasn't found anything for which he is qualified. And he too gets emails about jobs and tried applying to some, but the companies never called him back.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
What do I think about this? Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see anything else. In many different rankings similar to this one, the top 4 states are almost always CA, TX, NY and FL. Many times in that order.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
IMHO this is survey is a joke! It's ridiculas to measure state to state it should only be done city to city. Texas is too large to include every podunk city it has. Even some of the large cities don't belong on this list, including San Antonio. I imagine the only reason Texas even makes this list is because of Houston and Austin. Maybe Dallas/Fortworth make an impact as well. Coming from "microsoft country" I can tell you without a doubt that San Antonio does NOT have chance scoring #2 on any high tech list.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM

251 posts, read 710,464 times
There are no cities listed, just an article on Austin and state listings.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Well, if you take a look, the article is from 2003! That's 5 years ago.
Yeah, don't go getting yourself all worked up now. This looks like old news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock