Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:27 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,758 times

Advertisements

That does seem like some absurd lists. The top tech list uses total # of workers, which clearly biases it toward the most populous states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 AM

746 posts, read 3,728,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
It is cool, though I wish it would translate into jobs for us, in TX and CA. My boyfriend's family's and my family's computer jobs are either gone or in danger of going, and my boyfriend has had rotten luck in finding a job with a bachelor's in computer science, a so-so GPA, and too much college loan debt to even think about going back for an advanced degree.
Like I've been saying about Austin for years, if top 10 lists paid the public till bills, Austin would have an overflowing treasury...same with tech rankings.....they don't tell you that they are essentially overshoring everything in cal and tex they can get their hands on.....again, who can compete with system analysts and programmers making 10K a year or less in Asia? And no unions, AND far higher people in the job pool?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Well, if you take a look, the article is from 2003! That's 5 years ago. Not that much as changed, but TX has become the new working class town. A place of decent wages, low COL and a great climate for business had led the way. Alot of industries have set up shop in TX for those very reasons. Pay an employee 60k in SoCal or SF or in the NE- they won't be very happy. 60k in Tx, they are doing just fine Hence, great for employers and therefore bring in the jobs!
True, and think of it as a waystation until they figure out how to offshore everything 100%....when that happens, texas shuts down........

Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM

196 posts, read 640,933 times
Oh wow. Such a great thing uh? Not. How about these facts. Texas has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the USA and one of the highest rapes rapes and drug usage rates in the entire USA.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Oh wow. Such a great thing uh? Not. How about these facts. Texas has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the USA and one of the highest rapes rapes and drug usage rates in the entire USA.
Thanks for cheering me up this morning, Lut......

Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 AM

539 posts, read 1,805,622 times
CalGal953- You may have to settle on one of the second or third tier cities in Texas but Beaumont is begging for qualified workers in the petro-chem industry. Most make about 100k and housing is still cheap (250k will get you a great home in a nice nieghborhood). Being from the IE you could deal with the heat but the humidity is terrible. Good luck.
DWong- no one listening to you? Why do you always feel the need to shout in your posts?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM

303 posts, read 846,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
CalGal953- You may have to settle on one of the second or third tier cities in Texas but Beaumont is begging for qualified workers in the petro-chem industry. Most make about 100k and housing is still cheap (250k will get you a great home in a nice nieghborhood). Being from the IE you could deal with the heat but the humidity is terrible. Good luck.
DWong- no one listening to you? Why do you always feel the need to shout in your posts?
Petro-chem seems interesting, though I am not sure that is what I want to do, and the jobs in that area I found required at least 3 years of experience, and I have 0. There are almost no real "entry level" jobs out there anymore.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 PM

539 posts, read 1,805,622 times
CalGal - No one wants to do these jobs, that's why they pay what they do. You may have to start out as a contractor until you're hired full time by a refinery.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,243,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
ok go do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock